DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone been authorized to have an operation within 5 miles from a class D airport?

Rgv_Mavic44

Reactions
If so, how strict was the FAA on operation parameters such as max flight altitude or duration.

Ya. I've done it a few times.
I told them the radial and distance from the center of the airport, what time I'd start, and that I wouldn't be over 200'. They had no problem, just wanted me to call when I finished, which I did.
I also added that I was a career airline pilot and quite familiar with their traffic patterns on a VFR day.

while I have not had to yet as not been asked, I have offered my students access to me flying drone for media studies and photography for projects, well offered the teachers the option.
as the school is within a controlled airspace for a small airport I spoke with them and as long as I inform them far enough ahead of time and maintain 200ft flight ceiling won't be a issue, not that I expect to fly at anything that high anyway

I can't imagine big problem for non uk, just be sensible, if small airport easier then a big one, ask to talk to operations or whoever appropriate.
it may not hurt just to pop over to the airport if wanting to do it regularly, put a face to your name, chummy, all that.

I'm guessing you are asking about flights made under part 107? If so, you may want to mention this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60