DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Having fun in the dirt. RC offroad racing.

Former Member

Reactions
This is an old video, but this is what I like to do when Im not repairing customers drones. I like to race RC cars and trucks in 1:10 or 1:8 scale, and also onroad in the same scales.

With a Mavic, from the second I get out there until the second I land, there is a big pucker factor. With RC cars and trucks, they are made to be broken. Every single part on them is available as an OEM part from the manufacturer, and the hobby shop usually carries all of them. Cheap parts, maybe $2.00 - $20 and then youre back on the road.

I started out with nitro cars and trucks, went bigger to gas, and then electric. Alot of my repair experience has been fixing my cars at the track countless times. This was after 30 years fixing my own aircraft, big and small.

I worked at Team Hyperdrive in Fayetteville Ar. Back in the 80s.
I specialized in diffs, and assembling cars for Team Associated pros on and of road.

Reactions: Former Member
I worked at Team Hyperdrive in Fayetteville Ar. Back in the 80s.
I specialized in diffs, and assembling cars for Team Associated pros on and of road.

Awesome! You are probably one of the only guys on the forum who has more time under the hood of an RC10 than I do ;)

Are you still active in RC cars?

Reactions: TRuav
No. Hopefully again soon.
I was spoiled in 1/4 scale, can’t go back.

$$$$$
I want to build a Baja 5 T with castle creations brushless.

I got stuck there too. Started with 1:10, then ended up with a bunch of 1/5 gas stuff that was a PITA to get in the car. I sold all that stuff, and went back down to 1:10 racing on and offroad, and had so much more fun. I could get 8 or more 1:10 cars trucks and buggies in the space it took to fit a few of fifth scales.

Last year I sold my 1/5 gas buggy, and I dont think I'll go back to gas or nitro. I like your idea of Baha 5 with Castle. I always liked Castle because their products are so consistent and bulletproof. Many guys at the track run Tekin on their TC's, but I liked Castle better.

Reactions: TRuav
I got stuck there too. Started with 1:10, then ended up with a bunch of 1/5 gas stuff that was a PITA to get in the car. I sold all that stuff, and went back down to 1:10 racing on and offroad, and had so much more fun. I could get 8 or more 1:10 cars trucks and buggies in the space it took to fit a few of fifth scales.

Last year I sold my 1/5 gas buggy, and I dont think I'll go back to gas or nitro. I like your idea of Baha 5 with Castle. I always liked Castle because their products are so consistent and bulletproof. Many guys at the track run Tekin on their TC's, but I liked Castle better.
My last car was a RC8T gas with the Castle conversion.
$4000 all said and done with all the team and aluminum goodies. Fastest vehicle I ever built.

And no cleanup.

Point and shoot, go through a 6’ ditch at full speed and never upset the direction.

I’d put road tires on it, gearing, and drop shocks.
115 mph.

Reactions: Former Member
Started out with 1/8th HPI lightning buggy, just messing about in the fields.
Picked up another, which converted to a SWB truggy with a 2 speed (technically not a truggy without a centre diff, but hey ho)
Picked up an ex development hpi savage truck, which by time I’d finished with it, barely had a standard part on it, even had actual alloy wheels, no not chromed plastic, but proper machined alloy wheels - purple hubs looked great reflected in the wheels as it went along.
Got into racing with a Losi 8ightT, and ended up doing truggy nationals in the UK. Upgraded to an 8ight T2, and also got a 8ight buggy.
Seen 1/8th short course and thought it would be big, so sold the other stuff for a team associated SC8 hoping others would jump ship with me, but at our club, no one did.
Got a SC10, and did quite well with that, before a load of my gear got robbed, and despite the insurance, I kinda lost the love for it.
Would love to get back into it, but cost me thousands every year and don’t fancy that.......oh wait.....I’ve just bought a drone.....that won’t cost me a bomb [emoji16][emoji43][emoji23][emoji23]

1a2dcdcdbfc9ad9fb0118157377d4aa2.jpg

I’ll have to see if I can find more pics, but this was the “show” shell for the savage done in Star Wars theme - darts Vader on the bonnet and Death Star on the bed

Picked up another, which converted to a SWB truggy with a 2 speed (technically not a truggy without a centre diff, but hey ho)
Picked up an ex development hpi savage truck, which by time I’d finished with it, barely had a standard part on it, even had actual alloy wheels, no not chromed plastic, but proper machined alloy wheels - purple hubs looked great reflected in the wheels as it went along.
Got into racing with a Losi 8ightT, and ended up doing truggy nationals in the UK. Upgraded to an 8ight T2, and also got a 8ight buggy.
Seen 1/8th short course and thought it would be big, so sold the other stuff for a team associated SC8 hoping others would jump ship with me, but at our club, no one did.
Got a SC10, and did quite well with that, before a load of my gear got robbed, and despite the insurance, I kinda lost the love for it.
Would love to get back into it, but cost me thousands every year and don’t fancy that.......oh wait.....I’ve just bought a drone.....that won’t cost me a bomb [emoji16][emoji43][emoji23][emoji23]
The short course truck class was a blast !
Most fun I ever had. Swapping paint.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Team Losi made drones!

Reactions: Biff
God, brings back memories. I had the Kyosho mp 7.5. Then had the Xray 808 and spent hundreds upgrading it with tge alloy bits. Raced at the local club with my sons but was never any good.
That's one good thing about radio control cars. Even if you're no good, you can go out and have fun. With drones, if you're no good, youre going to go out there and crash. Lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart