DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hawk let me get up close for several pictures, perched on an old Oak tree

Waldo Pepper

Reactions
Was flying my M2P today, came across a hawk perched on top of an old oak tree. Circled the tree and then slowly came up to her, switched to Tri-Pod mode getting closer. Eventually, was 8-10 feet from her. She sat there not a worry in the world, took many pictures then flew M2P back to launch area.

Was surprised to get this close, Hasselblad camera is great.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

E384826E-0FB1-4790-8A04-593347046D87.jpegBF321227-B7F4-4875-8B24-E359976776E7.jpegFCD42ACE-70CD-41C1-AC79-F611D5435F9A.jpegFCD42ACE-70CD-41C1-AC79-F611D5435F9A.jpeg

Very nice, what part of the world you from @Waldo Pepper ?

You were very lucky getting that shot, well done. Looks like she was posing for the camera.

I’ve heard so many horror story’s about birds of prey taking our drones down so again you were very lucky.

amazing shots that does not happen very often

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Eventually, was 8-10 feet from her. ...
How much have you cropped the close pix?
They look a lot closer than 8-10 feet with the wideangle lens.

Looks like a buzzard ...too big to be a hawk
Common buzzard (Buteo buteo) (Buzzard, hawk, probably same thing I'm not an ornithologist)

top pic...SMILE!
2nd pic...Buzzard thinks, meh, whatever

@Porky
Shandong
山东省
China

36.3524028°, 119.1768556°location

Last edited:

top pic...SMILE!

@Porky
Shandong
山东省
China

Thanks spin;)

Blimey even the Lat/Lon coordinates;)

Last edited:
Was flying my M2P today, came across a hawk perched on top of an old oak tree. Circled the tree and then slowly came up to her, switched to Tri-Pod mode getting closer. Eventually, was 8-10 feet from her. She sat there not a worry in the world, took many pictures then flew M2P back to launch area.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

View attachment 60782View attachment 60783View attachment 60784View attachment 60784

Not good luck...As soon as she realized that it was not a Parrot, she decided that it was inedible.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and Mrmund
Very nice, what part of the world you from @Waldo Pepper ?

You were very lucky getting that shot, well done. Looks like she was posing for the camera.

I’ve heard so many horror story’s about birds of prey taking our drones down so again you were very lucky.
Thank you Porky,

That’s exactly what I was telling myself, sure looks like she was posing for the camera.

I fly in this area often, and several times a couple of hawks have joined in circling my drones with no issues. Could be this was one of those hawks, and she feels comfortable around the drone?

I live in central California, near the foot hills. Have permission to fly on thousands of acres, I’m very fortunate.

Thanks again,
Paul

Red Tail Hawk. Not Buzzard.
Yes sonof40 you’re correct, it is a red tail hawk we have plenty of them in my area.

Here’s another I took from my telescope earlier in the week, was about 1/4 mile away sitting on a crop duster.

Take care,
PaulB483961D-4D40-46DD-9860-A32C7DF8E5DB.jpeg

Reactions: Croc End
Common buzzard (Buteo buteo) (Buzzard, hawk, probably same thing I'm not an ornithologist)

top pic...SMILE!

@Porky
Shandong
山东省
China

Yes you’re right Spinitup,

It’s a red tail hawk, we have many here in central California.

Take care,
Paul

How much have you cropped the close pix?
They look a lot closer than 8-10 feet with the wideangle lens.
Hello Meta,

Was around 8-10 feet from hawk, I did chop two of the pictures to bring in the detail. Here’s a ground pic from my cell camera, was a fair distance when taking this picture so it’s a bit fuzzy and chopped to enlarge the drone/hawk encounter.

Take care,
Paul

43D33BCF-334B-447C-AF23-160F0EF1A0D5.jpeg

I'm saying it's a Buzzard if it is China for the location.
I don’t know were your getting the China location, location is California.

Here’s another pic of the red tail hawk, look closely you’ll see the red from its red tail as it takes flight.

Take care,
Paul

1CC13A65-193C-405E-B3A0-BD712DF30823.jpeg

Yes sorry didn't read...and the converted coordinates sent me to China (won't trust that again, must've sent me E instead of W)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne