DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height Restriction.

harmonix234

Reactions
So i tried flying in downtown Chicago.. had all the permissions and ok's.
updated the mavic as i was out of comisison health wise for a little close to a year.

wouldnt let me go higher than 500M and i had just updated. am i missing something here>?

The new software doesn’t let you go higher than that, 1640 feet
The old software did :)

I have read where the reason for the 500M limit was concern about battery power. If you go higher and fly around a bit, you might find that the battery may exhaust itself before it can land.

Reactions: luisme123
It is probably not advisable to fly at those altitudes in downtown Chicago. You prob should just check up on your legal responsibilities. I can hear the online self appointed drone police coming to give you a serve.
I’m not going to lecture you other than to say that if more and more people do the wrong thing, the more at risk our hobby becomes.
Fly safe mate

It is probably not advisable to fly at those altitudes in downtown Chicago. You prob should just check up on your legal responsibilities. I can hear the online self appointed drone police coming to give you a serve.
I’m not going to lecture you other than to say that if more and more people do the wrong thing, the more at risk our hobby becomes.
Fly safe mate

I am fully aware of the legal ramifications etc. I constantly speak to aldermen and officers in the area and get yays or nays from property owners.

I got permission to be onsite and fly at the Damien silos off archer via the state giving me permission.

I understand it’s legal to fly 400ft above a structure in the USA.

So long as you are not in a specific class airspace that prohibits.

Northwestern hospital is the only hospital that has issue but I fly just outside their range

I have read where the reason for the 500M limit was concern about battery power. If you go higher and fly around a bit, you might find that the battery may exhaust itself before it can land.

it would be a gutsy move to try but I watched a guy on youTube do an emergency shutdown in mid flight and restarted before crashing. The only way I would do that would be obstical avoidance like avoiding an aircraft, or should I ever be behind the aircraft enough to lose track of altitude and battery level. Pilot error for sure but dang if it didn't work like a charm.

Reactions: REDAGITATOR
I am fully aware of the legal ramifications etc. I constantly speak to aldermen and officers in the area and get yays or nays from property owners.

I got permission to be onsite and fly at the Damien silos off archer via the state giving me permission.
Hey, don’t be offended, that wast my intent.
I know that in Australia, local aldermen and officers have no jurastiction in airspace. This is controlled by our aviation authority. It must be different where you are located

DEC51687-C986-4CA9-8F62-661EF94E716F.jpeg Thought this may preclude you from flying at 500m

View attachment 32434 Thought this may preclude you from flying at 500m
that is one busy upside down wedding cake LOL. Darn good example of why we drone pilots need to stay out of controlled airspace. Being a pilot I can see a few places I could weave a path through that but why. Drive a few miles and fly in safety. In fact, the only way I would attempt entering that soup is with an mode c and s transponder. One is available for drones for a mere $3k

Umm. U can get a mode C for a mavic pro? How small? I would get one, get my insurances all set up, have my aeronautical radio license, would love to request vfr local flight. Hahaha. Just to prove a point with my Real aircraft (mavic) in a sfc to 12500 class c.

I don’t think flying a drone from the ground would comply with visual flight rules. Would be an interesting radio call to hear though

Reactions: tcflyr
Umm. U can get a mode C for a mavic pro? How small? I would get one, get my insurances all set up, have my aeronautical radio license, would love to request vfr local flight. Hahaha. Just to prove a point with my Real aircraft (mavic) in a sfc to 12500 class c.

They're not cheap but give it a look, Sagetech – The world’s smallest aviation surveillance equipment

Can you picture an ATC employee going in to work one day and seeing millions of these on the screen his screen with no means of communication. The aeronautical world is about to get crazy. I was thinking of renewing my medical but with all the drone pilots out there with zero knowledge of controlled airspace, i'm having second thoughts. I'm sure its tempting to climb up to 15,000 feet for the experience, but eventually a jet is going to get a drone in their turbine; adding a whole new meaning to suck, squeeze, bang, and blow.

400 feet...a good number for a good reason

Last edited:
Hey, don’t be offended, that wast my intent.
I know that in Australia, local aldermen and officers have no jurastiction in airspace. This is controlled by our aviation authority. It must be different where you are located

My apologies. I didn’t want to come off defensive

The new software doesn’t let you go higher than that, 1640 feet
The old software did :)

First, it's the firmware that has this limitation. Second, the 500m limitation goes all the way back to the Phantom 3. The Mavic _always_ had this limit (as well as the Phantom 4 always having it as well). There is no firmware from DJI on the Mavic that ever allowed flight above 500m.

What you might be referring to is actually a hack that could be done (not to be discussed here).

Just to be clear for those that don't know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv