DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopter drone strike in Chile.

It's not even safety glass.

Last edited:
Could not find further details...altitude? speed? air space? TOD? etc...

I saw at one photo all the propellers broken, two front or back arms broken and the battery dislocated. Where the camera is located ? At the side where the broken arms are? If the drone user was recording a video there is a chance this video to give a clear view what exactly happen. It is like head on collision.

It was reported in Chilean news media. This article has the same pictures and more details than the other sources. The article is in Spanish, but the browsers can translate it to the language of your choice.

It was reported in Chilean news media. This article has the same pictures and more details than the other sources. The article is in Spanish, but the browsers can translate it to the language of your choice.
The English translation was pretty good, apparently the drone operator did not have their name or cert "FAA" number on it, I'm assuming requirements are somewhat similar in Chile. I can't say how many times I've come across a newbie flying and when I ask about registration they are like "Huh, what?" and either have not clue or claim ignorance.

It not even safety glass.
Found this: "(1) Windshield panes directly in front of the pilots in the normal conduct of their duties, and the supporting structures for these panes, must withstand, without penetration, the impact of a two-pound bird when the velocity of the airplane (relative to the bird along the airplane's flight path) is equal to the airplane's maximum approach flap speed."

Reactions: MedicFL1
The English translation was pretty good, apparently the drone operator did not have their name or cert "FAA" number on it, I'm assuming requirements are somewhat similar in Chile. I can't say how many times I've come across a newbie flying and when I ask about registration they are like "Huh, what?" and either have not clue or claim ignorance.
It can probably still be traced, it's just going to be harder. They got the pilot in the NYC that flew his Phantom into an Army helicopter just from the serial number from a motor.

Seems rather odd that a helicopter would not have some sort of impact resistant glass.
I've never seen a glass windshield on a non-pressurized plane. Plexiglass is the norm. Supposed to stop a small fluffy bird, but not much more.

Weight is everything in aviation, and small planes don't normally look as solid as cars.

Last edited:
The helicopter is a Bell 206B JetRanger III, the glas is plexiglass in fact and the drone hit the face of the copilot. The helicopter was in regular patrolling the beaches and they use to fly at aroun 40 meters over the sea.
In the chilean DJI facebook comunity I´ve read the crash was at 135 meter high (the rules for UAVs in Chile dictate 130m top).
There are a clear rules for fliying drones in Chile (register the drone, get a licence and report before any flight) most people obey the rules exept for those 3.

Seems rather odd that a helicopter would not have some sort of impact resistant glass.
The wind shield on the Bell 206 (the helicopter shown) is not very thick and you can probably put your fist through it if you hit it in the right place. Keep in mind this is a NON-Pressurized aircraft so window requirements are "minimal" at best.

Some are merely thin plexiglass and over time (UV exposure) can become very brittle.

US helicopters are certificated IAW FARs 27 and 29 and the only requirement for windshields are "Windshields and windows must be made of material that will not break into dangerous fragments."

I want to see the last flight log of this drone....speed, attitude, direction etc
I hope these records are stored also at DJI database. I would like to hear both sides. If this drone pilot broke the rules , he will be in big trouble and there will be a chain reaction which will affect all of us.

I am trying to find the location with the help of Google translate and airmap...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-26-08-21-50-71_fb95925cea9b5a06621a92b72ecb70f0.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-26-08-21-50-71_fb95925cea9b5a06621a92b72ecb70f0.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 62
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member