DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from London

Bell

Reactions
Hello from east London...

Having flown many different UAVs for several years, including a huge hexacopter and a wide range of winged UAVs, I've settled into the sub-250g sector with a DJI Mini and a DJI Mini 2. I use a range of software from the DJI Fly app, Dronelink (mainly focused on mapping missions) and, most recently, Litchi.

Dronelink is supremely simple for mapping and for waypoint, follow and orbit missions I absolutely love Litchi. I've added a mount to my bike for the controller just for follow missions.

I'm looking forward to learning loads from fellow members and, hopefully, adding to the sum of knowledge and experience in the MavicPilots forum.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Good grief I shall be learning from you with your experience.
As Twickers14 Said... I hope you share some of that knowledge and experience with us...

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. I fly a Mini 2 and I know the excitement you are going through…

We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar, Tap "Members", Tap "Member's Map"

Members map

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2. You will also find the 75-page User's Manual, in case your Drone did not come with one.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

DJI Mini 2 - Download Center - DJI

Happy and Safe Droning…

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello from east London...

Having flown many different UAVs for several years, including a huge hexacopter and a wide range of winged UAVs, I've settled into the sub-250g sector with a DJI Mini and a DJI Mini 2. I use a range of software from the DJI Fly app, Dronelink (mainly focused on mapping missions) and, most recently, Litchi.

Dronelink is supremely simple for mapping and for waypoint, follow and orbit missions I absolutely love Litchi. I've added a mount to my bike for the controller just for follow missions.

I'm looking forward to learning loads from fellow members and, hopefully, adding to the sum of knowledge and experience in the MavicPilots forum.
Welcome to the forum from the mountains of Colorado! Happy and safe flying!

A warm welcome from my side too and to the forum.
Just visited London with my Mini 3 Pro and had a good time to see the city from above.

I am pretty sure you will like it here.
Safe and happy flying! :)
Hi! I’m visiting Europe and London in a few months for the very first time (from New Zealand) do you have any recommendations in London to fly? Would love to get shots of the tower bridge with the city behind) 👌

Hi! I’m visiting Europe and London in a few months for the very first time (from New Zealand) do you have any recommendations in London to fly? Would love to get shots of the tower bridge with the city behind) 👌
It is tricky to fly first and foremost, but not impossible.
A good impression and guide for spots for the whole of the UK is: Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK (account required to display restrictions on the map, but they have a good forum on Grey Arrows too to ask specifically).

The official restriction map by the CAA: NATS UK | UAS Restriction Zones

There are basically these important zones:

• EG R157 HYDE PARK
  • EG R158 CITY OF LONDON
  • EG R159 ISLE OF DOGS
  • EG RU128A LONDON HEATHROW
  • EG RU135A LONDON CITY
  • EG RU143A LONDON HELIPORT (Battersea)
  • River Thames is partly a corridor for helicopters

The difficult thing is, even if you are allowed to fly by the CAA, you might not be cleared for takeoff/landing on public grounds due to byelaws. Every Borough has different ones and not all are listed online. Makes it very tideous. Here is a good summary for you to start: Complete Guide to Flying Drones in London [2022 Update]

The good thing is, with the < 250 g Mini 3 Pro you are able to fly in the designated congested areas, which once where off limits so that opens a lot more possibilities. With my M2P I couldn't do any sort of flying whatsoever.

And for your plans of the Tower Bridge: East of, it is possible to fly, but be aware you are not allowed to cross the Thames. That would involve the Port Authority. So better stay close to the embankment. I tried to, but when I was there early in the morning (recommened to get there early to avoid the crowds and catch the sunrise from behind), the weather was quite a letdown.

I am used to be not able to fly in my city as it is strangely completely designated as an FRZ, which might be legally tackled sooner or later. So, eventhough the most interesting parts from a cityscape and architectural viewpoint (the City, Canary Wharf, the Royal Gardens etc.) are certainly forbidden there are still plenty of spots to get good shots of the skyline of this magnificent city. I especially adored Greenwich, which has no byelaw to restrict it (except the Royal Park of course).

Just bear in mind the airspace is regulated by the CAA, takeoff/landing (assuming public grounds) are regulated by Boroughs or other authorities. Royal Parks are always a no no (sadly).

One last thought: be sure you also have all the mandatory certificates. To legally fly, you need an operator ID affixed to your drone (even if below 250 g if you have a camera). This costs £10 a year and a simple flyer ID which lasts 5 years (free). Besides that, they will ask you for insurance too. All can be easily done from home over the CAA's website: Registering a drone or model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority

And no, I've never ran into any issues or got asked from official side to identify.
Most important thing is to apply common sense and be respectful.

If I ever get the time, I will share some pictures I made during my always too short stay of London.
Hope you got some insights with these lines.

Happy and safe flying and enjoy your trip!:)

PS: For other mostly EU countries, have a look at the EASA's site too: I am a non-EU visitor / drone operator ‘open’ category | EASA

Last edited:
A good impression and guide for spots for the whole of the UK is: Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK (account required for to display restrictions on the map, but they have a good forum on Grey Arrows).

• EG R157 HYDE PARK
  • EG R158 CITY OF LONDON
  • EG R159 ISLE OF DOGS
  • EG RU135A LONDON CITY

The difficult thing is, even if you are allowed to fly by the CAA, you might not be cleared for takeoff/landing on public grounds due to byelaws. Every Borough has different ones and not all are listed online. Makes it very tideous. Here is a good summary for you to start: Complete Guide to Flying Drones in London [2022 Update]

The good thing is, with the < 250 g Mini 3 Pro you are able to fly in the designated congested areas, which once where off limits so that opens a lot more possibilities. With my M2P I couldn't do any sort of flying whatsoever.

And for your plans of the Tower Bridge: East of, it is possible to fly, but be aware you are not allowed to cross the Thames. That would involve the Port Authority. So better stay close to the embankment. I tried to, but when I was there early in the morning (recommened to get there early to avoid the crowds and catch the sunrise from behind), the weather was quite a letdown.

I am used to be not able to fly in my city as it is strangely completely designated as an FRZ, which might be legally tackled sooner or later. So, eventhough the most interesting parts from a cityscape and architectural viewpoint (the City, Canary Wharf, the Royal Gardens etc.) are certainly forbidden there are still plenty of good spots to get good shots of the skyline of this magnificent city. I especially adored Greenwich, which has no byelaw to restrict it (except the Royal Park of course).

Just bear in my mind the airspace is regulated by the CAA, takeoff/landing (assuming public grounds) are regulated by Boroughs or other authorities. Royal Parks are always a no no (sadly).

One last thought: be sure you also have all the mandatory certificates. To legally fly, you need an operator ID affixed to your drone (even if below 250 g if you have a camera). This costs £10 a year and a simple flyer ID which lasts 5 years (free). Besides that, they will ask you for insurance too. All can be easily done from home over the CAA's website: Registering a drone or model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority

And no, I've never ran into any issues or got asked from official side to identify.

If I ever get the time, I will share some pictures I made during my always too short stay of London.
Hope you can got some insights with these lines.

A good impression and guide for spots for the whole of the UK is: Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK (account required for to display restrictions on the map, but they have a good forum on Grey Arrows).

• EG R157 HYDE PARK
  • EG R158 CITY OF LONDON
  • EG R159 ISLE OF DOGS
  • EG RU135A LONDON CITY

I am used to be not able to fly in my city as it is strangely completely designated as an FRZ, which might be legally tackled sooner or later. So, eventhough the most interesting parts from a cityscape and architectural viewpoint (the City, Canary Wharf, the Royal Gardens etc.) are certainly forbidden there are still plenty of good spots to get good shots of the skyline of this magnificent city. I especially adored Greenwich, which has no byelaw to restrict it (except the Royal Park of course).

Just bear in my mind the airspace is regulated by the CAA, takeoff/landing (assuming public grounds) are regulated by Boroughs or other authorities. Royal Parks are always a no no (sadly).

Hope you can got some insights with these lines.

Hi there !

Thank you very very much for those amazing tips !

I’ve registered with the CAA and have a flyers and operators ID all sorted so that’s a good start :)

I’ve spent the last few months preparing for the ins and outs of flying around the UK and currently counting down the days til we are there in September :)

Thanks again for the info you’ve provided!

Would be amazing to see your pics of you have time to share ☺️👌

Kindest regards
Mike

@nzmikey
You are highly welcome.
New Zealand is on my list too, but with our first child approaching, these plans need to wait for some time. If New Zealand wouldn't be so far away. but I guess you can't have both. 😆

See the PS for EASA too, it's also a straightforward process. The regulations by the CAA are for now nearly identical to the EASA's as they date back when UK was still in the EU.

I only posted half a picture so far, but someone was interested in the details: Anyone else disappointing with picture quality?

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman