DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Minnesota!

Aquaelie

Reactions
Hello everyone! It’s great to be here with like minded individuals. A little about myself. I am an IT pro who likes new tech toys, photography and aircraft. So, naturally, flying drones is the intersection of all my interests and hobbies. My first drone was a Mini 2 last July and since sold it and moved into a Mini 3 pro. I mostly fly over Lakes and rivers in MN around golden hour and just before sunset to capture all the highlights in the gorgeous MN skies. I have about 13 hours and 80 flights logged and am hoping for more this summer and fall. I already registered my drone in the Drone Zone page. Hoping to meet some like minded folks here who I can learn from.

Quick question. Would y’all buy an Air 2 for $300 USD with the fly more combo even if you had a Mini 3 pro? I was wondering if it is going up for sale due to the RID requirement coming into effect in Sept and was reading that the Air 2 may not be getting the update at all or could be delayed. Can some folks shine some light on the Air 2 cost being worth it or am I just throwing money away? Note: I have the DJI RC and a RCN1 already.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I guess that’s up to you. I’m not sure that I would.

Hi Aqua, welcome to the fourm. Not sure I would go with the Air 2, from where would you be getting the Air 2 FMC for $300?

BTW, I have/had both and I kept the Mini 3 Pro and I gave away the Air 2 to my brother....but that's just me.
I discovered the deal on my local Craigslist. Seems like a decent deal but then remembered I sold my Mini 2 cuz I didn’t need or want an extra drone laying around. 🤪

Would y’all buy an Air 2 for $300 USD with the fly more combo even if you had a Mini 3 pro?
Welcome to the forum! What are your planned uses? Are you a recreational flier or are you thinking of getting into more commercial work at some point? If you could get a hold of an Air S you wouldn't need to worry about RID. If you're thinking of going commercial work at some point, you'll need your Part 107 from the FAA. No rush as long as you take your time and don't do any paid work before you're Part 107 Certified.

Secondly is budget. If money isn't an object, an Air 2is really, basically, the same air craft and camera as the Mini 3 Pro, PLUS, with the Mini 3 Pro you can do vertical video & pics. If your budget allows - wait for the Air 3 S. It will be dropping any day and will come with RID compliant build in.

Hello again from the Crossroads of America Aquaelie.

Quick question. Would y’all buy an Air 2 for $300 USD with the fly more combo even if you had a Mini 3 pro?

I enjoy my MA2 and waiting for the RID update...if one is coming for it?

I know it's an older aircraft in the DJI fleet, but it works for me.

A recent post in an article from Drone Dj indicates that DJI may upgrade the MA2, but it'll be a couple of weeks after the September deadline. 🤔

I may purchase an Air2s as a replacement aircraft because it's RID compliant and all of the MA2 stuff will work the Air 2s.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum! What are your planned uses? Are you a recreational flier or are you thinking of getting into more commercial work at some point? If you could get a hold of an Air S you wouldn't need to worry about RID. If you're thinking of going commercial work at some point, you'll need your Part 107 from the FAA. No rush as long as you take your time and don't do any paid work before you're Part 107 Certified.

Secondly is budget. If money isn't an object, an Air 2is really, basically, the same air craft and camera as the Mini 3 Pro, PLUS, with the Mini 3 Pro you can do vertical video & pics. If your budget allows - wait for the Air 3 S. It will be dropping any day and will come with RID compliant build in.
I feel like you helped me decide against getting it. I was wanting it for the ADS-B functionality to give me more peace of mind since I have had some very close calls with older airplanes flying below 500 feet in uncontrolled air space. I may just use that money for some strobes and ND filters then. Thanks for the input!

Hello everyone! It’s great to be here with like minded individuals.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . Your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live Minnesota, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even with 89 lights under your belt, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 3 Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . Your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live Minnesota, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even with 89 lights under your belt, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 3 Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…
The resources you listed for the laws were very helpful! Some of the places I was hoping to fly have ordinances against flying drones! You saved me a lot of research time and potentially kept me out of trouble! Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to the forum from NW Montana. I have MA2 & love it. Very dependable machine using several different apps including Litchi. Never a glitch for me. The camera does a decent job but there are better ones available on newer models. However, I would never buy one off Craigslist.

Thank you very much.
You are welcome. That is why we are here, to help each other, to learn from each other, and to pass on the wisdom we have learned. If you have other questions, it might be advisable to open a new topic in General Discussions or maybe your drone's sub-forum, as the most knowledgeable folk may not be monitoring the Pilot Check In forum…

Fly Safe..

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to our forum, Aquaelie, from Hauptmann, in Hurst, Texas!

You'll love the flexibility of vantage points an aerial camera platform affords--you'll get shots and videos you could only dream of before! I fly a Mavic 2 Pro now, but will soon add a Mini 3 Pro to my “fleet”.

The Mini 3 Pro is an excellent choice. It has a great camera, and with its sub 250 gram weight, it is not subject to many regulations aimed at larger, heavier drones—especially in Canada and EU/UK. As to a second drone, I agree with hagman23--I'd wait for the Air 3S. It should be out any day now. BTW, Loudthunder offered great advice--take the time to follow his recommendations. It could save you a lot of grief.

We have over 150,000 members—many from Minnesota--who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have will’ve already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask!

I've attached a couple of links below, which will make learning piloting and photo/video skills easy. The author specifically refers to the Mini 3 Pro, but his “moves” apply to any drone (DJI, anyway).

Glad to have you with us!
Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1j9VqmDYEI&t=497s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK6s2hJLRRE

Hello from Minnesota and welcome to the Forum....There's a lot of good quality teaching/feedback going on in here. Just ask, and the experts are great on providing good sound advice for you to apply and use... Remember to always Fly safely and fly smartly representing all of us drone hobbyist well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne