DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello From Wisconsin

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to start off by saying thanks for having me and I look forward to meeting new fliers and learning from you all!

Received my MA2 fly more comb with smart controller last week and I'm limited to 2300 feet away...I've seen some with the same issues, I've searched everywhere for information on this and can't find a resolution.

I've also tried different locations, different antenna settings and nothing seems to fix the range...so what's the deal with the MA2 when it's claimed to go roughly 6 miles?

Allen
Hey Allen, I am responding to your post before I even made an introductory post hah! Anyway, I came here because of the exact same problem you are having. My Smart Controller starts losing connection with the MA2 around 500~600m... incredibly strange. I did some research and here is what I am finding:

- do not extend the antenna out all the way; in fact the proper way to extend the antenna is to keep it 90 degs from the SC with the flat parts of the antenna facing the aircraft (extending all the way out is only to give you access to the hidden spare control sticks).

- secondly, switch off the wifi and Bluetooth on your **phone** and the **Smart Controller**. If your car has a wifi hotspot built-in or have wireless CarPlay functionality like BMW makes standard, make sure your vehicle is completely off if you are near your car.

- Reading from the forums, this seems like this is an issue with the SC and the not the drone itself so swapping your drone out won't do you much good. In fact this is more of a "user error" than a fault with the SC... unless you actually have a lemon of a Smart Controller.

Anyway, I am just finding all of this out tonight, and haven't had a chance to test this out yet. I will test it tomorrow and report my findings in this thread.

Also, you can pick up a brand new Standard Controller for your MA2 from Ebay for ~$60. I bought one of these on a whim a while ago and will try it with the drone tomorrow for some side-by-side comparison.

6 miles total, not 6 miles away. Can you even see it a half mile away?
That's not true. It can get in the 10k distance range if all the conditions are met. (unobstructed between you and the drone, power lines not in the way, pointing controller directly at drone, etc..) It certainly is not a 6 mile total distance, that all depends on battery life, wind direction/speed, speed of drone, outside temperature etc. This is a cool test by a guy on Maui, on the side of a Haleakala. He got to about 5 miles out and turned around because battery got below 50%

That's not true. It can get in the 10k distance range if all the conditions are met. (unobstructed between you and the drone, power lines not in the way, pointing controller directly at drone, etc..) It certainly is not a 6 mile total distance, that all depends on battery life, wind direction/speed, speed of drone, outside temperature etc. This is a cool test by a guy on Maui, on the side of a Haleakala. He got to about 5 miles out and turned around because battery got below 50%

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum, from a fellow Kenosha member.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Alright, as promised wanted to update this thread:

Tried the standard controller versus the smart controller. No WiFi or Bluetooth interference. Antenna extended properly for SC and positioned toward drone. Conditions as perfect as can be. RESULT: the Standard Controller beats the Smart one easily on range. I got barely 1.5 km from the Smart one but got nearly 3 km with Standard Controller before foliage started interfering.

I came back home, launched a ticket with DJI, but honestly had no patience or time to deal with their customer service. Put up the Smart Controller on eBay and sold it. Totally not worth it.

OP, if you are still following your thread, I would advise you to sell the Smart Controller on eBay. The average going price is $570 and you got it for $400 with your combo like I did. You do the math.

Also, Android UX is trash. From screen transitions to mis-clicks... I just feel the iOS app is a far smoother experience than the Android OS powering the Smart Controller.

Honestly, I loved the Smart Controller but I live in the land of 10,000 lakes and a million farmlands. I like sending my drone out far away. I hated the limited range. Whether it was a defect or some user error, not worth figuring it out when the Standard Controller exists and works beautifully with the iOS Fly app.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to start off by saying thanks for having me and I look forward to meeting new fliers and learning from you all!

Received my MA2 fly more comb with smart controller last week and I'm limited to 2300 feet away...I've seen some with the same issues, I've searched everywhere for information on this and can't find a resolution.

I've also tried different locations, different antenna settings and nothing seems to fix the range...so what's the deal with the MA2 when it's claimed to go roughly 6 miles?

Allen
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Air 2, I absolutely love mine! Fly safe and have fun!

Hey Allen, I am responding to your post before I even made an introductory post hah! Anyway, I came here because of the exact same problem you are having. My Smart Controller starts losing connection with the MA2 around 500~600m... incredibly strange. I did some research and here is what I am finding:

- do not extend the antenna out all the way; in fact the proper way to extend the antenna is to keep it 90 degs from the SC with the flat parts of the antenna facing the aircraft (extending all the way out is only to give you access to the hidden spare control sticks).

- secondly, switch off the wifi and Bluetooth on your **phone** and the **Smart Controller**. If your car has a wifi hotspot built-in or have wireless CarPlay functionality like BMW makes standard, make sure your vehicle is completely off if you are near your car.

- Reading from the forums, this seems like this is an issue with the SC and the not the drone itself so swapping your drone out won't do you much good. In fact this is more of a "user error" than a fault with the SC... unless you actually have a lemon of a Smart Controller.

Anyway, I am just finding all of this out tonight, and haven't had a chance to test this out yet. I will test it tomorrow and report my findings in this thread.

Also, you can pick up a brand new Standard Controller for your MA2 from Ebay for ~$60. I bought one of these on a whim a while ago and will try it with the drone tomorrow for some side-by-side comparison.
Well after sending mine in to DJI for repairs or to pretty much figure out whats wrong with it...here's what they have sent me.

Hope your other controller will work better for you and it's not something more like mine!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210403-113302_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-113302_Samsung Internet.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210403-113239_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-113239_Samsung Internet.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 5
Hey everyone!

Allen
Welcome to the group!

Well after sending mine in to DJI for repairs or to pretty much figure out whats wrong with it...here's what they have sent me.

Hope your other controller will work better for you and it's not something more like mine!
Hey there, I ended up selling my Smart Controller as the whole Android OS was getting on my nerves as well. I didn’t have the time or patience to deal with DJI’s customer service. The Standard Controller runs with my iPhone and the Fly app on iOS is rock solid! Plus, no longer do I have to do the hotspot juggle and makes it a breeze to share photos since they are on device.

Also given that the new Air 2S which is launching this month will have OcuSync 3.0 module, the Smart Controller was never going to last.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_