DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! RTH near miss

rowansims

Reactions
So I've had my MP for about a week so I'm still learning. Please be gentle.

Yesterday I was flying around my neighbourhood and I saw the battery was getting low so started bringing it home. The battery dropped to the point where it initiated automatic RTH but about 200m from the home point it started to land automatically and I couldn't control it. The app said it still had 2m left of battery life but it cut out anyway. I got lucky and it landed on the road behind my house, but I was shitting myself for a minute there.

My understanding is that it would initial RTH when it only has enough battery to return to the home point, so why did it run out of battery before it got there? And why would it say it had 2m of battery life remaining and then die?

I've lost the trust I had in it now. Please help!

when you say the battery was getting low, how low was it? I generally start coming back at 30-40%. I wouldn't count on the battery reading to be açcurate to the nearest 1 percent. I've never had it initiate a low battery rth. maybe you could test it in a big open field.

What was the wind like? if you had a headwind on the way home it's more than logic that it couldn't make it. Flying until the low battery warning comes on is generally a bad idea. You have to calculate and decide yourself how much juice you want to have left in your bird when you finally land it. The Mavic will not calculate for headwind.

why would it say it had 2m of battery life remaining and then die?
That's just an estimate and it constantly updates in real-time as you're flying. It would be best to manually bring your Mavic back to the takeoff area while it still has some juice left.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez