DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

help with settings?

Frank-Jakarta

Reactions
hi there. I am planing a boat trip to the Komodo National Park in Indonesia.

As it is a remote area without internet/mobile connection, I wonder what settings on my Magic Pro I should use?

Any tips you can give are highly welcomed.

Internet is not required in order to fly the Mavic Pro.

What kind of tips and/or settings are you seeking advice about?

Reactions: Frank-Jakarta
Thanks. Well, I just got the Mavic and this will be my first time using it (so far i just played around to get more comfortable with it).
Do I use GPS or WiFi?
I read somewhere to switch of the obstacle avoidance due to water reflections may interior with it?
Do you recommend filters?

Anything really to be honest... much appreciated

Thanks. Well, I just got the Mavic and this will be my first time using it (so far i just played around to get more comfortable with it).
Do I use GPS or WiFi?
I read somewhere to switch of the obstacle avoidance due to water reflections may interior with it?

I recommend flying BEFORE the trip. "Use GPS or WiFi?", they are not which one, You can use WiFi to connect the controller to the drone or "non--WiFi", since the connection is more stable, I do not use WiFi. You should make sue that after you power on the drone you wait until it gets a solid Satellite count, so you can fly in P-mode (with GPS) support. Your questions indicate that you have not read the manual, yet, you should do that before watching tons of videos.

If you're going to be flying from land, it's really going to be no different than flying from any other location. The biggest difference is that you might not be able to easily retrieve your Mavic if you manage to lose it in the water.

Here are some general suggestions for flying over water:
  • Return to the home point before the battery reaches the critically low level (the red section of the battery bar at the top of DJI GO). If the battery reaches that level, the Mavic will auto land at its current location. It would be safest to be near the home point by the time that bar reaches the yellow section.

• Take off from land (if possible) so the home point can be set to a location on land. If taking off from a moving platform on the water (e.g. a boat), set the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" so the Mavic will hover in place if the remote controller signal is lost mid-flight. That'll allow you to move toward the Mavic and reestablish the remote controller connection (instead of allowing it to fly back to a home point that might be over water).

• If it's windy, don't fly into a strong headwind on the way back to the home point. Your Mavic will require more battery power if fighting a strong headwind and it might not make it back to the home point before the battery reaches the critically low level (causing it to auto land at its current location).

• Do not move the throttle stick to the full down position when flying over water. If reflections off the water's surface trigger the bottom sensors, that could cause the Mavic to think it's close to the ground and trigger a forced landing. Another option would be to turn off the "Visual Navigation Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Landing Protection" setting to prevent a forced landing from being initiated.

• Don't fly close to the surface of the water (within ~10 feet) unless you can clearly see the Mavic with your eyes. The Mavic can sometimes descend a bit when flying and it's often tough to tell exactly how close the Mavic is to the ground below (or water in this case) when watching the live view in DJI GO.

Do I use GPS or WiFi?
The Mavic does not use Wi-Fi when flying with the remote controller. GPS is automatically enabled when the Mavic is able to connect to enough satellites (which shouldn't be an issue in that location).

If you're going to be taking photos/video of the water, PL filters should help cut down on any water reflections. See this video for more details.

I agree with them. You should study well of your drone with its capabilities, and your capabilities and how to extent them to the point wherein you could be experienced. Would be a heart-breaking I tell you once you really lost your drone. Practice helps ;)

If you are a beginner, watching the tutorial videos on DJI's website helps you quickly learn the basic features of the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark