DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi all! My Mavic Pro had a fly-away and DJI is giving me Bull.

Thank you all for your effort... though I'm gonna shake DJI for more official explanation, which might even help us all

That is not all true, see my attachment, the forward sensors worked when i was trying to fly close to this sky scraper for a selfie (of the drone), which I often like to do and without a time the sensors not working.

Hong kong is pretty lit up, during the night, even if its night time the buildings and streets are quite well lit, at least good enough for filming and live visual flying.
At night there are always shadows to worry about. The city may be mostly lit up, but if RTH initiates the Mavic could very well fly into a space that's not so well lit, or toward glass that could confuse it.

You could always upload your flight record to PhantomHelp and post the link back here for proper analysis. But I'm sticking with the theory that signal was lost, RTH initiated and it flew into a building. Serious impact somewhere separated the battery from the rest of the drone.

flying in hk, you probably hit one of the windows in the building while trying to RTH (if it wasn’t set higher than that building) as front sensors don’t work on glass windows. i do many flights in hk myself and that area you were flying has many buildings so your mavic probably hit something like an edge of a lower building while falling from the sky which have caused your battery to pop out while leaving the drone itself on the building. it’s just my guess but that’s probably why you could only locate your battery and the impact of hitting the ground has caused the deformation of your battery cell.
i don’t think dji will warranty this case but if you explained the situation to dji hk or shenzhen (i always get better customer service at sz), i think they will give you a discount on purchasing a new one... good luck!

If the mavic is travelling at 10mph when the connection is lost, it theoretically could travel 45 ft (+stopping distance) with no control

Interesting point mate... so it'd carry on flying at that speed, and in that direction, before it even applied the brakes (and then initiated its RTH) - is that what you're thinking?

Interesting point mate... so it'd carry on flying at that speed, and in that direction, before it even applied the brakes (and then initiated its RTH) - is that what you're thinking?

That's what I'm "thinking".

I honestly don't know if that is how mavic's logic works though.

Post the flight to airdata or phantomhelp, and Lets know for sure

ok i did it, seems the connection was completely normal through out. (and i did have a loss of signal in a split second.)

0b32d7c06330b7537348b57a5bc5138b.jpg

That's what I'm "thinking".

I honestly don't know if that is how mavic's logic works though.
The mavic stops as soon as it looses signal. Just like if you cut the controller off.

The mavic stops as soon as it looses signal. Just like if you cut the controller off.

And then RTH is next, I think (or just continue to stop and hover, if you've set it specifically for that). When RTH is set, I wonder how much time it gives itself to reacquire signal before giving up and going home?

And then RTH is next, I think (or just continue to stop and hover, if you've set it specifically for that). When RTH is set, I wonder how much time it gives itself to reacquire signal before giving up and going home?
The owner's manual says three seconds.

When i tested it by turning the R/C off it stopped immediately, then it rotated to face home, then it climbed and came home. I think it will continue doing whatever its doing for 3 seconds (otherwise it would keep stopping on every minor signal interruption).
My money is on OA not working properly at night. Yes the city is lit but not defined enough for the all round vision and depth sensing to work reliably. You'll have random brightness light sources from random directions. I suspect it flew into something.

Reactions: kelf
When i tested it by turning the R/C off it stopped immediately, then it rotated to face home, then it climbed and came home. I think it will continue doing whatever its doing for 3 seconds (otherwise it would keep stopping on every minor signal interruption).
My money is on OA not working properly at night. Yes the city is lit but not defined enough for the all round vision and depth sensing to work reliably. You'll have random brightness light sources from random directions. I suspect it flew into something.

So when u turn off the remote, it continues whatever it was doing for 3 seconds?

From what i could tell it slowed just the same as it would if you released the sticks (ie drifts forward whilst slowing)

So when u turn off the remote, it continues whatever it was doing for 3 seconds?
I believe when it loses connection for a certain period, it will be like when you release the right stick. 3 seconds after you lose connection, it will RTH.

So in short, it won't continue going for 3 seconds. In the parameter I believe it is set to continue doing what it was doing for 0.4sec (note: we are not allowed to discuss about parameters here).

Sadly , where you flew was a accident waiting to happen .RTH height?? Buildings ,possible radio interference a take off from a roof where when u go below that height it goes into negative. Sorry but DJI won't be responsible for a "fault" with so many variables and little data.

I mean, what is the use of a Failsafe RTH if a building blocking the signal could mean the end of your MAVIC. I am very much disappointed. It flew slightly out-of-sight, and RTH, if activated, would rectify that instantly.
What height was your RTH set at ????
Do u often fly in built up areas?
The machine can only do so much ,depending on programming by operator.

My Mavic flew-away after a loss of signal with the controller, I wrote up a complaint to DJI and the below is what they are giving me. Need your help, DJI is crap at after-sale. Tech support is lazy and irresponsible.

Anyone had a fly-away and successfully got a replacement drone?

" Thanks for your patience.
For your claimed case CAS-1Xx94XX-XXXXXX, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:
1.The aircraft was piloted under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s control well;
2.Pilot controlled aircraft flew to the back of the building, the flight record ended at t=05:55, h=35 m, d=273 m.
According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. As such, we could not provide warranty service.
And may i ask if you have found the aircraft already? Thanks a lot.
Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know. Have a nice day!
Best Regards,
April
DJI Tech Support "
hell yeah, about last month ago, I've email them. My Mavic fell down unreasonably when I flew the Mavic in a beach. Then, My Mavic crashed unto a big coral caused serious damage. So, I email the DJI support. They asked me to send them Flight Data Records and to do some data synchronization. After sent them what they want to know to do analysis, they continued to ask me some "stupid-wasted" things that is to do another sync or to send flight data records log by following an instruction they attached. I asked them, "I have been sent lot of information that is enough to do analysis and I will do another instruction you needed, but one thing I ask you, do I have a chance to get a replacement of the Mavic?" They didn't answer or talk about this question. They just say a template words. So, yeah, it's wasted my time.

This is an odd case. You found the battery but not the Mavic:confused:

I looked at the CSV file and it's not in a proper format. I did look at it in Excel and all it has is the coordinates and the battery levels. I don't think you need coordinates if you found the battery.

DJI Will not replace the Mavic under warranty unless something really strange happens. As Kilrah stated this seems to be an RTH height problem. Even if you had DJI refresh they would not replace it unless you had the broken Mavic to send back to them.

Sorry dude but it seems like your best option is to keep searching where you found that battery pack. It cannot be more than 30 ft away from that spot.

Rob

I can't help but wonder if the battery was not clicked in all the way. My business partner replaced my Mavic battery a couple times on a mapping job, and like 3 times he thought it was fully clicked in when it was not. And he's what I would consider a smart, cognizant, diligent person.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Griffdrone