DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Highjacking drones?!!!

moustic

Reactions
This has scarred me as hell

Google Translate

I hope DJI used some serious protocols to remote control the aircraft.
I thought that the pairing process between the rc and the bird was a strong security proof but who knows!

I doubt there's any real security in the protocol, simply based on long experience of seeing how systems are developed - until these kinds of threats become commonplace and developed to the point where you don't need much technical knowledge to carry out the attack there's little incentive to harden the system.

All ur drones are belong to us.

It definitely would be an incentive for me. I try to patch any possible hack in software.

My job is cyber security and I can tell you anything can be hacked. It is a matter of time and money. However black hats always follow the path of least resistance. The easier and more likely scenario is not hacking the RC protocol but the rather the weakest link in the chain.. the mobile device connected to RC. This would be done by infecting with specific malware or a RAT which allows remote control of the device. Could allow hijacking of live sessions or worse just pure destruction ie a PDoS. Permanent Denial of Service by intentionally disabling sensor controls and advertant crashes.

And there are thousands of those mobile RATs out there. Mostly Android APK though. Specifically developing malware to hook the DJI API likely wouldnt be too difficult.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk