DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Holy Tree Trimming in Active Track!

KiterTodd

Reactions
Tried ActiveTrack for the first time today and, like other videos, I was amazed how well it threads itself through obstacles to follow you. It's pretty incredible.

I did 3 tracks. On the two tracks through trails (paved wide trails with overhanging branches) it did hit some leaves. It seemed like it would rise up under the leaves, and then as soon as it started trimming foilage it would realize it (maybe because the sensor could now see things overhead) and then drop down.

So, over a year with the MP and I never hit a leaf. 2nd flight with the M2P and I hit several! :) I did not see any visible marks on the props or craft. Was just funny to see. If it ended up being a viney material instead of easily removed leaves, I suppose it could get tangled and drop down. Not sure what it'd do if one prop pulled in a thin vine.

Anyway, curious on your experiences...

Scrub to 5:55 and watch how well ActiveTrack 2.0 works!
Yup. I had watched IPhonedo's video before flying so knew it was a risk, but that it'd get through.... but it's still surprising when you hear a weed whacker flying behind you. :D

Here’s one of the vids. This is just the phone download. I didn’t take it from the drone, color correct, edit, etc. it’s the 1280x720P default stream.

So, all disclaimers aside, it’s neat to see how it navigates around leaves. The point you see the drone leg is when it trimmed some foliage. [emoji50]

pretty impressive !
Yeah, right? Look how at 0:45 seconds (when it hits leaves), even as it rotates enough that you see the drone leg in the screen, it still keeps the camera steady on me?

Wouldn't have trusted a brand new drone on that run if I hadn't seen a couple other videos of it online already.

I'm sure in the Winter, with no leaves to detect, doing a run like this would be a bad idea. I can't see it detecting fine branches.
When I mentioned vines, I was thinking of some places I've been to in the Pacific NW where there is this moss hanging from evergreens. It's a thick stringy tangle that I can't see being friendly to props. So if anyone is having this chase them through the trees on a powder ski run, beware.

It's def improved, but I still wouldn't trust it in tight places. Once DJI catches up to the Skydio R1 I'll use active track more often.

It's def improved, but I still wouldn't trust it in tight places. Once DJI catches up to the Skydio R1 I'll use active track more often.
When I watched the test flights of the M2P in Active Track I was reminded of the capability I saw on R1 youtuber test flights. To me it seemed comparable. At least, pretty close but with a much more capable drone over all.

When I watched the test flights of the M2P in Active Track I was reminded of the capability I saw on R1 youtuber test flights. To me it seemed comparable. At least, pretty close but with a much more capable drone over all.

MP2 videos I've seen the folks testing active track are moving much slower and with a lot of easily detected foliage, I guess we'll find out in the winter. If you pay attention though, many MP2s clip small twigs/leaves, which the R1 never does.

Reactions: KiterTodd
MP2 videos I've seen the folks testing active track are moving much slower and with a lot of easily detected foliage, I guess we'll find out in the winter. If you pay attention though, many MP2s clip small twigs/leaves, which the R1 never does.

But the R1 is $2500 and doesn't have half the features, and you can't fly it. It's totally autonomous.

Yup, good point. The R1 was designed for specifically this purpose, and they did a great job. Has prop cages which help with some hits I'm guessing and a lot more sensors. Beyond that one trick, however, it's not really good for much else.

Hopefully the R1 was a technology test platform and now they can add more typical drone functionality to it.

Who is paying $2500 just for that?

Reactions: cpokrywka
Agreed that the price for the R1 is much too high; my point was that the pinnacle of active track is the R1 and that while improved, the M2 is not quite in the that league just yet (and when it is, I'll use active track a lot more).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos