DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How are the film studios flying NY and DC

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
We know that NY and DC are NFZ's, NY being by local restriction and D.C. being largely FAA restricted. Yet, we see TV series and movie series where they get B-roll air shots of those cities all the time. I would think that they are doing it legally, but if there is a process it is a secret.

What's the secret for getting permission to fly over NYC, DC and other restricted cities?

Reactions: Droniac
They use a helicopter. NYC is easy compared to DC, there a lot more hoops to jump through in DC. Even flying within 60nm of DC you have to go through a training/awareness course online to fly there.

I'm guessing here, but I would imagine movie and television companies have a way to get an exemption because of who they are. They probably work with the FAA, a city/county/state film commission or agency (usually see something like this at the end of the credits thanking the commission/agency for help with shooting). I'm sure the company shooting the footage has to give dates/times/locations/aircraft used, etc.

Last edited:
At one time, my brother was the Director of Visual Media at the White House, and he still lives in the DC area and doesn't even try to fly his drone. According to him, it needs an act of God to fly in DC. The film companies get a waiver from the state and FAA/FCC.

Be well,

Mark

We know that NY and DC are NFZ's, NY being by local restriction and D.C. being largely FAA restricted. Yet, we see TV series and movie series where they get B-roll air shots of those cities all the time. I would think that they are doing it legally, but if there is a process it is a secret.

What's the secret for getting permission to fly over NYC, DC and other restricted cities?
And the World Series, and news stations over crowds and stadium football games. And NASCAR and .....

There are a number of companies with permission to fly in both the NYC area, as well as the DC FRZ. Once you're approved, it's actually not that hard to get the flights planned. It's the original work of getting approved, especially in the DC FRZ, that is very difficult.

I would like to hear from one film production that got approval to fly and shoot in NYC. And I mean Manhatten. We tried on a 120 million dollar film and could not get past the city laws which go back decades. The FAA is not the issue. It is where the drone takes off and lands. That is why my friend Al Cerillo still gets so much film work with his Twinstar helicopter. It was very frustrating to be told no drones

As Vic said, it can be done. If it's not something very High Value or something you're needing to do many times over it's probably not worth the time & hassle. Lots of planning, Risk Assessment, Reporting, and often back-n-forth with your plans being rejected to get approvals in such tough/sensitive areas. Keep in mind larger production groups have a TEAM at their disposal for just this type of thing.

We shot within a production crew with The Travel Channel in the Outer Banks of NC and other than signing a few papers and providing my FAA & Insurance credentials, I didn't have to lift a finger. There was a "legal eagle" on the crew and he had every possible situation covered and documented. He carried a 3-ring binder with him on every shoot with all the forms, authorizations, and other on-the-spot papers that he completed as we went along (photo releases etc). It was an interesting 3 days to say the least but WOW what an experience.

• Love
So I am confused. You state that you shot on the outer banks. But I am talking about shooting from a drone over Manhatten for a dramatic film shoot. We have not had issues in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Vancouver, etc. NYC has a whole different system. The FAA is not involved with their grandfathered law.

So I am confused. You state that you shot on the outer banks. But I am talking about shooting from a drone over Manhatten for a dramatic film shoot. We have not had issues in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Vancouver, etc. NYC has a whole different system. The FAA is not involved with their grandfathered law.

You totally missed my point. I was merely pointing out the difference between John Q. Public trying to get difficult approvals to fly and a production crew with a legal team getting the needed approvals. NOT the difference between OB and Manhattan.

Sorry I understand now. I guess I have remained frustrated by NYC's rules. We had the resources (Paramount Studios) to even go directly to the NYC mayor and still were turned down for drone work and thus had to use real helicopters for our cinematography.

Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
Sorry I understand now. I guess I have remained frustrated by NYC's rules. We had the resources (Paramount Studios) to even go directly to the NYC mayor and still were turned down for drone work and thus had to use real helicopters for our cinematography.
That seems incredibly shortsighted and makes no sense. Using helicopters is clearly going to be more far more expensive, more hazardous, and much less environmentally friendly. I cannot think of a single advantage.

There is a strange old law on the books in NYC about no takeoffs and/or landings but it may be more complicated than that. If one ggogles NYC drone laws I think others more knowledgeable have explained it. Of course there are plenty of videos on youtube of drone pilots flying Manhatten, even from boats. Very hazy from a legal standpoint

The answer guys is to use an airship. Our son learned to fly fixed wing at North Perry airport just north of Miami and he also crewed the Dolphins airship very occasionally (with me as a passenger once) as it covered the ‘Fins games. No drones then just choppers and airships. Oh for the old days!

I would like to hear from one film production that got approval to fly and shoot in NYC. And I mean Manhatten. We tried on a 120 million dollar film and could not get past the city laws which go back decades. The FAA is not the issue. It is where the drone takes off and lands. That is why my friend Al Cerillo still gets so much film work with his Twinstar helicopter. It was very frustrating to be told no drones
That's pretty cool, I've met Al a couple of times, really nice guy. That rig they put on the TwinStar is nuts. I fly a news helicopter and our gimbal is tiny compared to that thing.
If I remember correctly, when they still shot film they would only get about twenty minutes until they would have to change film cartridges.

So how do all these guys on Youtube post videos flying right through Manhattan skyscrapers never get in trouble? If it's difficult even for a film studio, I would imagine almost impossible from these guys who are just posting videos of every major city on Youtube.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15