DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I establish where I can fly in my area ?

Vinpetrol

Reactions
I’m in the scottish highlands . I have a new mavic3 classic DJI RC . I have purchased a carry case to transport it about safely . I have 3 more batteries on their way to me with charging doc.
I haven’t flown it yet though .
I’ve registered with the CAA and have operator numbers and flyer I’d card also both on the way .
There’s a location fairly near to me (very remote) that I’d like to fly it . I know I need to check with the RAF to see if they have any scheduled flying on but I don’t know how I do this also do I need permission from anyone else ?

Any advice much appreciated !
Cheers Cin

Reactions: old man mavic
Do you have access to apps for your phone specifically for the UK that tell you where it's safe to fly? There are many members in the UK so, hopefully, some of them will know and share that info. @AlbionDrones @FlyingDutchman90

Here in the US, one of the apps we have is the B4UFLY app. It lets us know if we are in an area that is open to fly in or if we are in restricted airspace and if we can apply for authorization to fly.

Last edited:
Do you have access to apps for your phone specifically for the UK that tell you where it's safe to fly? There are many members in the UK so, hopefully, some of them will know and share that info. @AlbionDrones @FlyingDutchman90

Here in the US, one of the apps we have is the B4UFLY app. It lets us know if we in an area that open to fly in or if we are in restricted airspace and if we can apply for authorization to fly.
I use Drone Scene to check where in the U.K. I can fly, just Google it , cheers Len

@Vinpetrol ,you drone is in the A3 class,because of its weight ,so you will need to follow the rules for that class of drone,these can be found on the CAA web site,irrespective of the fact that where you want to fly, is probably going to be very sparcely inhabited,which should be fine ,its really the TOAL (Take Off and Land ),component that is as equally an important thing to remember.
although it might be fine to fly in certain airspace,you have to be aware of any land owners ,feelings on having a drone ,take off from ,and fly over their property ,and it is wise to seek permission if possible ,before hand ,every bit of land is owned by somebody ,and if they want to, they can take out a civil case against you for trespass,and or nuisance
i am only saying these things ,to save you from any unpleasent encounters ,which would spoil your enjoyment ,i use drone assist,which is quite good when it comes to showing any restricted airspace areas ,and TFRs, but when it comes to TOAL ,then its up to indevidual pilots to sort out, before they take off

Last edited:
@Vinpetrol ,you drone is in the A3 class,because of its weight ,so you will need to follow the rules for that class of drone,these can be found on the CAA web site,irrespective of the fact that where you want to fly, is probably going to be very sparcely inhabited,which should be fine ,its really the TOAL (Take Off and Land ),component that is the most important thing to remember.
although it might be fine to fly in certain airspace,you have to be aware of any land owners ,feelings on having a drone ,take off from ,and fly over their property ,and it is wise to seek permission if possible ,before hand ,every bit of land is owned by somebody ,and if they want to, they can take out a civil case against you for trespass,and or nuisance
i am only saying these things ,to save you from any unpleasent encounters ,which would spoil your enjoyment ,i use drone assist,which is quite good when it comes to showing any restricted airspace areas ,and TFRs, but when it comes to TOAL ,then its up to indevidual pilots to sort out, before they take off
That’s great advice thanks !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13