DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I know if I got a refurbished Mavic?

kona

Reactions
Came back from "repair" last week, May 17. It has a built date of April 14. Battery has some superficial scratches on it, which may be because it's from the Mavic I sent in. The rest of the new Mavic is pristine looking. I imagine the built date is too recent to be a Mavic somebody else returned, but curious to hear what people here think.

It works really well -- none of the tilted horizon issues of my 1st, and none of the signal loss as well as random-crazy gimbal movement issues of my 2nd. So I'm definitely going to keep it, but am curious if it is a new or refurb. Is there a way to definitively find out?

Yeah, I am curious about the same... bought a new unit direct from DJI in Feb and have been in support hell ever since as a result of it being defective out of the box... Just got a unit back today (April date) that also has a few scuffs - came wrapped in bubble wrap, no box... Pretty shoddy if you ask me.

Came back from "repair" last week, May 17. It has a built date of April 14. Battery has some superficial scratches on it, which may be because it's from the Mavic I sent in. The rest of the new Mavic is pristine looking. I imagine the built date is too recent to be a Mavic somebody else returned, but curious to hear what people here think.

It works really well -- none of the tilted horizon issues of my 1st, and none of the signal loss as well as random-crazy gimbal movement issues of my 2nd. So I'm definitely going to keep it, but am curious if it is a new or refurb. Is there a way to definitively find out?

Is it dark grey? If so, yes you got a refurb model.

I've read that a refurbished drone has an "R" at the end of the serial number.
kona said:
Can anyone confirm this?
No that is incorrect. I believe the last character in the serial number is part of the build sequence. ie the x'th unit built today.

Did you have to activate your replacement Mavic after you received it? A fellow at the Australasian DJI service centre told me they generally activate refurb units, so thye can test them, tying them to customer accounts prior to sending them out, whereas they do not do so with New replacement units. Not sure if this is standard procedure though.

Reactions: Tonaps and kona
Which would explain some of the recent dates on repaired mavics as they will be new serial numbers generated whilst being repaired

Seem that not all serial numbers are changed though

Yes this is true I also read it in DJI website...
That is what I thought, most manufacturers add an "R" to the end of the SSN for refurbished. When I got my refreshed MP back after a crash, they said it was a replacement, the SSN on the "new" MP I got had and earlier date then the one I sent in, but felt that didn't necessarily mean anything. It could have been sitting in stock for a couple of months. But the SSN did not have an "R" at the end and the MP look new, no dings or marks, FW was old, so need to update it. So just figured it was a new one. Although it cam back with my old battery and old "damaged" props, which I though was interesting. Put on new props, updated it and flew it. All work fine. Been flying fine since.

Reactions: Tonaps
I just purchased a refurbished and while the serial number does have an R in it, it does not end with an R.
That's great and how's the performance of your Mavic Pro? If it does not end with an R maybe it's not refurbished... :) And if that's the case it's going to be hard identifying the new one's with the refurbished...

The best thing to do here is if we see someone not following the rules of flying a drone kindly report it immediately to your local authority... we will be all affected by those guys not following the rules...

I just purchased a refurbished and while the serial number does have an R in it, it does not end with an R.
Like your experience, I have yet to see of someone with a known refurb Mavic serial ending in R. Until someone produces one, I am sceptical. Out of interest what position in the sequence from 1 to 14 is your R character?

Like your experience, I have yet to see of someone with a known refurb Mavic serial ending in R. Until someone produces one, I am sceptical. Out of interest what position in the sequence from 1 to 14 is your R character?

On the Mavic it's about the 10th digit on the gimbal it's the 13th.

That's great and how's the performance of your Mavic Pro? If it does not end with an R maybe it's not refurbished... :) And if that's the case it's going to be hard identifying the new one's with the refurbished...

I assume the performance is fine - this being my first and only drone. I was surprised that it had all the little clear sticky things that you need to peel off like on the sensor cameras and such. It truly appeared to be new.

Reactions: Tonaps
On the Mavic it's about the 10th digit on the gimbal it's the 13th.
Ah thanks. So your Mavic "R" is in the section where there is usually a constant 1,2,0 for chars 9,10,11. This was assumed to be attribute or variant info, so this makes sense for it to be located there.

Reactions: leonardolisboa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78