DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I put existing Panos on Goggles SD card?

Camino Ken

Fair Weather Flyer
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I just received my DJI Goggles (White Ones) and have updated the firmware (PITA BTW), linked it to my M2P and everything is working as it should. I recorded a short video and took a photo in the drone and then took the card out of my drone and put it into the SD slot on the goggles and I could view them fine. I then tried to copy some previously recoded drone videos, photos, and panos from my iPad (files app) to the SD card in the same location as the recent ones I took with the drone and the existing ones do not show up in the file list inside the goggles. There doesn’t seem to be any difference in the files. All where recorded with the same M2P.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I have the RE goggles, but think the basics are the same.
Have only used mine a few times for flight (since Christmas) and only once to view some pics.
I thought you just viewed the pics on the aircraft SD through the playback ?
I know you can 2 finger tap and hold the touch pad (think that's the method) to take a screenshot, and those are saved to the SD card in the goggles.
Not sure anything is saved automatically on the goggles, as in how they can be cached low res to a normal phone or small device like ipad etc.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I have the RE goggles, but think the basics are the same.
Have only used mine a few times for flight (since Christmas) and only once to view some pics.
I thought you just viewed the pics on the aircraft SD through the playback ?
I know you can 2 finger tap and hold the touch pad (think that's the method) to take a screenshot, and those are saved to the SD card in the goggles.
Not sure anything is saved automatically on the goggles, as in how they can be cached low res to a normal phone or small device like ipad etc.
Since I have had my drone for a bit over a year I was hoping to review the videos, photos, and especially panos that I previously shot via the goggles.

Hmm, I see . . . maybe take a couple of new panos, they likely save to a special folder in the drone SD, then copy all old ones into the same folder ?
Not sure just how good the goggles will work with panos, without the full wrap around effect.
I watched a YT video the other night comparing a true wide view set of goggles, where you get that full immersion and peripheral vision.
The DJI goggles are good, but not your typical full wrap around effect.
Worth a go though.

Hmm, I see . . . maybe take a couple of new panos, they likely save to a special folder in the drone SD, then copy all old ones into the same folder ?
Not sure just how good the goggles will work with panos, without the full wrap around effect.
I watched a YT video the other night comparing a true wide view set of goggles, where you get that full immersion and peripheral vision.
The DJI goggles are good, but not your typical full wrap around effect.
Worth a go though.
Yes, I am definitely going to do another pano, depending on weather. I actually did take a photo and it showed up in the goggles. I then added one from my iPad in the exact same location on the card and the added photo did not show up but the original one did. Seems like a mystery.

BTW, my understanding is that the pano can be viewed by moving your head to see different portions.

That's true, read that myself in the manual or saw in a YT video.
Must add to the list to try out.
Well, I tried and was able to take a new pano then put the card into the googles and it worked as it is supposed to. You can move your head around to see the different portions.

For some reason when I add existing panos to the exact same location they do not register with the goggles. Still a mystery. I have communicated my issue with DJI and am awaiting a response.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Well, I tried and was able to take a new pano then put the card into the googles and it worked as it is supposed to. You can move your head around to see the different portions.

For some reason when I add existing panos to the exact same location they do not register with the goggles. Still a mystery. I have communicated my issue with DJI and am awaiting a response.

Thanks for the update, although I won't probably use this myself to browse the very minimal panos I've taken to date, it's good to know what you can do with the goggles.

Thanks for the update, although I won't probably use this myself to browse the very minimal panos I've taken to date, it's good to know what you can do with the goggles.
I should also note that the same exact problem exists for both photos and videos.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have permanently saved panos (spheres and super-res) as well as videos and pics on my Goggles RE.

Ive never done the moving of SD card from AC to Goggles before so not sure about that, however, the Goggles/AC do store pano files in a not very intutive way, so I had trouble trying to move files to the SD card on a computer, and then inserting in the Goggles, myself.
So I never went that route again.

The below method is, imo, the best way to view files on the Goggles, and if downloaded, as I show how, you never need the AC to be on or to move SD cards.

• Insert micro SD card into goggles, that you will keep there permanently. (Format card via goggles menu)
• Make sure your default storage location, in Goggles, is the SD card.
• Whether your using the goggles during flight, or not, does not matter.
• Once your done shooting Pano (or any other file - Note that the larger the file, the longer the time for trxfr. Panos are very fast. ie: 10sec), In the Goggles menu, go into the 'playback' menu
• Within 'playback' (while both AC & Goggles are on - it can be airborne, but recommend it be grounded, as the trxfr takes time, as well as its distracting from flight awareness). You choose 'aircraft' then find whichever file your looking for...

》At this point, you can either view the file/pano momentarily, as long as AC is on, and AC SD has file onboard - OR - You can wirelessly download it from your AC storage to your Goggles SD card. (It will only copy it, not move it, so itll remain on AC SD card afterwards)
• To view, just single tap the touchpad.
• To download, Swipe downword with 2 fingers (maybe 1?) and youll see 2 symbols (one an arrow and the other trash can).
• The Arrow will download that file from AC to the Goggles SD card.
• Once download started, youll see a bar on bottom with %.

After this is done, youll be able to access any of those files that youve downloaded to the Goggles.

I also imagine that after youve transfered one file of each type (video, pic, pano) that you can remove the Goggles SD card, look at its contents on a computer, and see what location to transfer like files to, as you mentioned before, but keep in mind that panos are generally stitched together via proprietary sw, so it may not accept just any set of images, but pics and vids should be no prob? Just guessing on that.

I FULLY RECOMMEND downloading ALL of your Panos to Goggles but most of all the SHPERE PANOS are excellent on the DJI Goggles. and a great show item to show your friends and loved ones!

Hope this helps.

I have permanently saved panos (spheres and super-res) as well as videos and pics on my Goggles RE.

Ive never done the moving of SD card from AC to Goggles before so not sure about that, however, the Goggles/AC do store pano files in a not very intutive way, so I had trouble trying to move files to the SD card on a computer, and then inserting in the Goggles, myself.
So I never went that route again.

The below method is, imo, the best way to view files on the Goggles, and if downloaded, as I show how, you never need the AC to be on or to move SD cards.

• Insert micro SD card into goggles, that you will keep there permanently. (Format card via goggles menu)
• Make sure your default storage location, in Goggles, is the SD card.
• Whether your using the goggles during flight, or not, does not matter.
• Once your done shooting Pano (or any other file - Note that the larger the file, the longer the time for trxfr. Panos are very fast. ie: 10sec), In the Goggles menu, go into the 'playback' menu
• Within 'playback' (while both AC & Goggles are on - it can be airborne, but recommend it be grounded, as the trxfr takes time, as well as its distracting from flight awareness). You choose 'aircraft' then find whichever file your looking for...

》At this point, you can either view the file/pano momentarily, as long as AC is on, and AC SD has file onboard - OR - You can wirelessly download it from your AC storage to your Goggles SD card. (It will only copy it, not move it, so itll remain on AC SD card afterwards)
• To view, just single tap the touchpad.
• To download, Swipe downword with 2 fingers (maybe 1?) and youll see 2 symbols (one an arrow and the other trash can).
• The Arrow will download that file from AC to the Goggles SD card.
• Once download started, youll see a bar on bottom with %.

After this is done, youll be able to access any of those files that youve downloaded to the Goggles.

I also imagine that after youve transfered one file of each type (video, pic, pano) that you can remove the Goggles SD card, look at its contents on a computer, and see what location to transfer like files to, as you mentioned before, but keep in mind that panos are generally stitched together via proprietary sw, so it may not accept just any set of images, but pics and vids should be no prob? Just guessing on that.

I FULLY RECOMMEND downloading ALL of your Panos to Goggles but most of all the SHPERE PANOS are excellent on the DJI Goggles. and a great show item to show your friends and loved ones!

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to help me. I will try your method and I believe that
it will work.

I still have the issue that I have a years worth of videos, phots, and panos on my iPad that I would love to view on the goggles. In addition, I would like to show the edited and finished movies I put together on my iPad, on the goggles.

if you have any more ideas please let me know. One thing I was going to try was to move the media from the iPad back to the aircraft and then see if I can put them on the goggles.

Ken

Thank you so much. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to help me. I will try your method and I believe that
it will work.

I still have the issue that I have a years worth of videos, phots, and panos on my iPad that I would love to view on the goggles. In addition, I would like to show the edited and finished movies I put together on my iPad, on the goggles.

if you have any more ideas please let me know. One thing I was going to try was to move the media from the iPad back to the aircraft and then see if I can put them on the goggles.

Ken
Ahh, yes I see your dilemma more clearly now...

Let me ask a few friends who deal with the apple side of things and I'll get back to you. I hope we'll come up with something for you!

So, Im sorry I didnt get back to you as fast as Id have liked but I just dont know many IOS users.

However, I think I know of a way to, at least give you the knowledge of file locations and how they are sorted between your AC, your IOS device and Goggles, so you could assemble the panos yourself, then trxfr them manually from wherever theyre stored now, onto your Goggles.

Its pretty much identical to what I mentioned near the end of my initial post, but that post was long so u mightve missed it?

Anyway, here it goes...
• Id still install a permanent SD card in your Goggles, change storage location to SD, within Goggles and format.
• Take your AC out, with the same device you shot most/all of those older files you want to put on your Goggles.
• Get shots in ALL the same types of Panos, etc that you previously used.
• Keep track of what types of Panos, etc you shot.

• Later, at home, Transfer (using the wireless method I mentioned) one of each pano type, etc to your Goggles, and maybe your device too?

=》 Then youll be able to explore the contents of your AC SD card, as well as your Goggles SD card (using a Macbook or PC, or even your IOS device with SD card reader)

Thatll show you the FILE LOCATION, the FILE NAMING SCHEME, on the Aircrafts SD, your Goggles SD, and your device storage, Which you can take that info and manually assemble file folders that Mimic that format, using your old panos

This will no doubt take some time and be a hassle but it is possible, especially if you stored your Panos in their larger file folder (NOT mixing ALL your images together).

Good luck. Let us know if that helps.
Sorry nothing easier :(

So, Im sorry I didnt get back to you as fast as Id have liked but I just dont know many IOS users.

However, I think I know of a way to, at least give you the knowledge of file locations and how they are sorted between your AC, your IOS device and Goggles, so you could assemble the panos yourself, then trxfr them manually from wherever theyre stored now, onto your Goggles.

Its pretty much identical to what I mentioned near the end of my initial post, but that post was long so u mightve missed it?

Anyway, here it goes...
• Id still install a permanent SD card in your Goggles, change storage location to SD, within Goggles and format.
• Take your AC out, with the same device you shot most/all of those older files you want to put on your Goggles.
• Get shots in ALL the same types of Panos, etc that you previously used.
• Keep track of what types of Panos, etc you shot.

• Later, at home, Transfer (using the wireless method I mentioned) one of each pano type, etc to your Goggles, and maybe your device too?

=》 Then youll be able to explore the contents of your AC SD card, as well as your Goggles SD card (using a Macbook or PC, or even your IOS device with SD card reader)

Thatll show you the FILE LOCATION, the FILE NAMING SCHEME, on the Aircrafts SD, your Goggles SD, and your device storage, Which you can take that info and manually assemble file folders that Mimic that format, using your old panos

This will no doubt take some time and be a hassle but it is possible, especially if you stored your Panos in their larger file folder (NOT mixing ALL your images together).

Good luck. Let us know if that helps.
Sorry nothing easier :(
Thank you for your time and effort in trying to help me. I think I understand what you are saying ( or maybe I don’t) but I think my issue is much more subtle. I know the file structure created by the drone and also the different one created by the goggles.

If I transfer a photo shot with my M2P from the drone card to my iPad using a card reader attached to the lightning port on the iPad and then transfer it back to the exact same location a few minutes later, on the exact same original card it does not show up. No thumbnail, no nothing. Any file that was not transferred to the iPad first (taken straight from the drone) shows up and is viewed perfectly.

My current working theory is that the metadata changes to show that it is a copy of the original and the Goggles read that it is a copy and won’t display it. A very simplistic implemention to stop you from playing copy protected media? I am planning a more in depth study of the metadata differences.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately I still don’t have an answer on how to transfer media files from a computer back onto the goggles SD card. I can move them there but the goggles do not recognize them as on the card when I know they are there. Still a mystery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IMWOOD