DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far do most people fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to go downrange the only way to do it is in a manner where you minimize the risk to people and property. Don't think I would be ok flying over an inhabited area.. I've seen it done though.. that's a pretty risky proposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Totally agree... which is why I fly in uninhabited areas. I flew over a lake today but turned it back around when I was approaching homes. Though it was clear i could go further, not worth the risk for me.

Reactions: m0j0
Purchased me a Trackimo GPS tracking device for finding my Mavic whenever testing my own skills....of course, always within line of sight. But dang, that tiny grey Mavic would be hard to find in the chaperrel and bushes.

I attached the Trackimo to the side of my Mavic with Velcro and it works perfectly. I have more confidence now flying further away knowing I'll be able to find the bird quickly, in the unlikely event, it were to become lost. $139, or $189 for a 3G model, at Trackimo.com. Highly recommend.
I did exactly the same thing. velcro-ed on the side where the mem card is. I also have a getterback when I am over water so I can can retrieve the craft.

How far do most pilots here fly their mavic? I was at about 2500 feet away from me today and I chickened out and flew it back. I have seen folks on youtube do 10K+ ... is this a common for most pilots?
I would think most people aren't just flying all willy-nilly. I have a specific goal in mind when I fly because I shoot video and try to manage my flight time according to what shots I need. Plus there are the laws. Pfft. It would be great to visit someplace like Mexico where there are virtually no laws and just see what this thing will do.

Reactions: Humanparody
I stay on my own property and still just testing it out in beginners mode till' I feel better with it and highest I went was about 97ft it would not allow me to go up any higher but I didn't try going up in altitude or farther in distance because I am not ready to push it to far yet because I am so new with a drone! It was fun for my first flight!
Man, take that thing off beginners mode and spread her wings a bit. Take it up to 200 ft where there's no chance of hitting anything and open it up. You'll learn what it's capable of much faster and, as a result, become more comfortable faster. Personally I think you're more likely to crash it when you bind yourself so close to the ground.

7. Sign up for American Academy of Modern Aeronautics and you will have 2.5 M liability insurance coverage and other types they offer at no charge.

Enjoy you flights and be as safe as possible. Do not take unnecessary risks otherwise it could be a very expensive and problematic experience.

Does the AMA insurance cover you even when you're not flying at an AMA approved site?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes, anywhere you fly. I would think its essential for everyone to have it for only the $75 membership cost.AMA insurnace.png

Guys let's chill on the name calling in this .
Agree to disagree but lets keep this civil .:)

Wait till the FAA comes kicking at your door Mister!
Totally irresponsible flying.! Do you have insurance in case it hits someone? Do you have the 107 certificate?
My guess is no!
Wow! (or ouch)

Reactions: Strafe1
Last edited by a moderator:
Does the AMA insurance cover you even when you're not flying at an AMA approved site?

Yes, but only by fully abiding by the AMA rules. It is also secondary insurance, homeowners policies are required to be filed first, and then the AMA insurance. However, it's well worth the price for the liability involved in flying uas. Support the hobby and join the AMA.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: AllDubyas
Yes, but only by fully abiding by the AMA rules. It is also secondary insurance, homeowners policies are required to be filed first, and then the AMA insurance. However, it's well worth the price for the liability involved in flying uas. Support the hobby and join the AMA.

And if one holds. Remote Pilot Certificate, Verifly is the most economical liability insurance for most.

Reactions: AllDubyas

I used to be part of the AMA many years ago. But since 9/11 I stopped flying since we used to fly on Ford island.

And if one holds. Remote Pilot Certificate, Verifly is the most economical liability insurance for most.

Verifly? Thanks for the info. I don't fly commercially and don't have a 107 yet. But would be nice to have even though I don't fly commercially.

I used to think this also but it appears you do not have a homeowners insurance to benefit. I may just call AMA and ask directly.
Here is the policy - http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/500-m.pdf

Man, take that thing off beginners mode and spread her wings a bit. Take it up to 200 ft where there's no chance of hitting anything and open it up. You'll learn what it's capable of much faster and, as a result, become more comfortable faster. Personally I think you're more likely to crash it when you bind yourself so close to the ground.

I agree. I feel much more comfortable at 300 feet than I do at 50 feet. In fact, I always bring it up to at least 125 feet before I let anyone fly my bird as I know this is well clear of any obstacles in my area.

Reactions: Humanparody
Generally only LOS which is about 500m generally, however yesterday at a new location with excellent conditions saw this hit 1200m LOS, couldn't believe it but a contrasting background of clear skies and hills and being only 10-12m off the deck gave me a little black dot that I could still orientate at 1200m. No issues with people or property as it was over water the entire way :)

Reactions: m0j0 and AwesoM
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe