DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far do most people fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...would love to see someone orient their tiny 12" craft at 3,600'! - gonna have to cry "shenanigans" on that one! - there's a reason the FAA calls out the distance for LOS at 1,500', anything else would be beyond human capabilities! (...unless, wait, bakerboy, did you recently have bionic eyes implanted???)
;)

...would love to see someone orient their tiny 12" craft at 3,600'! - gonna have to cry "shenanigans" on that one! - there's a reason the FAA calls out the distance for LOS at 1,500', anything else would be beyond human capabilities! (...unless, wait, bakerboy, did you recently have bionic eyes implanted???)
;)
While I am not advocating BLOS flights, IOC is the answer to your question. :D

;)
If I hadn't done it on the weekend I would have called them out on it too, but you could see the mavic dot and you could orientate it so doubt all you like, I know it's possible

Good thing FAA arent down here because they're wrong

Edit: I can spot the rescue chopper from 10km away, maybe as eyesight fails as you get older you would doubt your ability to spot a dot, but mine's still pretty good ;)

Last edited:
Remember the conditions I said I flew in, black mountains, blue sky, black dot only 12m above the deck so very easy to pinpoint it as it was straight out and just above the mountains

...ok, I'll give you the dot...but you're trying to tell me if that thing suddenly got into trouble (...say, you're screen goes black) you're confident you can tell which way that tiny dot is facing? - enough to actively "see-and-avoid" any hazards? like that 1" thick power line 30' to its starboard? or that bird charging for your craft? so it doesn't fall on to that little girl playing directly underneath?

OK; I know you were in appropriate surroundings but I'm just trying to illustrate how very difficult it is to judge the relationship between objects at long distances - and THAT is the true concept of the LOS rules - not that you can see a dot on the horizon, but that you can totally control your uav WITHOUT fpv or gps to avoid dangerous scenarios - sorry to get preachy but I'm half-convinced that flying with the freedom we have now will be looked back upon wistfully in a few short years if accidents start ratcheting up across the land...sigh, rant over!

Reactions: Starz
Concept smonship... if he can see it he is within the rules

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...ok, I'll give you the dot...but you're trying to tell me if that thing suddenly got into trouble (...say, you're screen goes black) you're confident you can tell which way that tiny dot is facing? - enough to actively "see-and-avoid" any hazards? like that 1" thick power line 30' to its starboard? or that bird charging for your craft? so it doesn't fall on to that little girl playing directly underneath?

No powerlines/trees and if there was someone playing there they did well to swim out that far.
Yes I could orientate it, strafe right, yaw until craft is heading right then fly backwards, simple stuff. I've been flying for years using analogue fpv, drop outs forever, you get used to being very conscious of your surrounds ;)

OK; I know you were in appropriate surroundings but I'm just trying to illustrate how very difficult it is to judge the relationship between objects at long distances - and THAT is the true concept of the LOS rules - not that you can see a dot on the horizon, but that you can totally control your uav WITHOUT fpv or gps to avoid dangerous scenarios - sorry to get preachy but I'm half-convinced that flying with the freedom we have now will be looked back upon wistfully in a few short years if accidents start ratcheting up across the land...sigh, rant over!

Yes, I can control it, I have situational awareness and I consider my surrounds and conditions before flying. I'm not a plug and play idiot, I've flown for a while on much less reliable craft

Rant over champ ;)

And again, the conditions were perfect, normally I'm limited to 500m, give it a crack, you'll be surprised

Reactions: AwesoM
When I started this thread the intent was to just see what was a comfortable range folks flew their mavic and how far they pushed the limits. We are all for responsible drone use. If there are no airports and not in a flight path and out in the middle of nowhere or flying straight out to the ocean IMO they are doing their due diligence. I would never have the guts to do it as I would be worried I lose my drone, but I get to live vicariously through others :) The US pilots know what the FAA guidelines are and don't need a lecture about it.. so if you have nothing positive to contribute to the topic then don't!

Mavic owners who have shared, thank you. It has been intriguing reading the stories and watching the videos some have shared.

Well I would advise anyone that has videos where they are breaking any rules not to post them. There are too many Drone Police Chiefs on the board that would absolutely report to the authorities..

Very well said

Well I would advise anyone that has videos where they are breaking any rules not to post them. There are too many Drone Police Chiefs on the board that would absolutely report to the authorities..

Ha. I picture the Drone Police Chiefs as a bunch of 70 year old men squinting at the computer trying to figure out where to click to make a post. lol

My drone store guy and I were wondering when the FAA is going to have something like a video squad that will look at various pix and videos and start citing people. I have watched a video or two where an FAA rep just contacted someone and asked general knowledge questions.
At my field in Brooklyn, they said there was an FAA rep there flying a Mavic once.

I'm happy these things are popular and selling well, but it just increases the probability that some yahoo will say, "hey hold my beer and watch this!" and there it goes for the rest of us.

Anyway, good luck!!

vsk

I'm going to just fly responsibly and not worry about what everyone else is doing. I try not to be concerned with things I don't control.

I have been flying RC for 45 years and quads for 4 years now with a DJI F450 Flamewheel then a Yuneec Q500 4K and now the Mavic.
I have never taken any of them past 1500 feet, ever. I just don't see the need. I don't want to lose a $1000+ investment.
I realize that the radio connection between the controller and the aircraft is a tenuous thing that can be interfered with by many outside forces, so I tend to err on the side of caution. Having said that though, I also know that I can easily use my handheld ham radio to bring up a repeater on an 8500' mountain top over 70 line of sight miles away with just 1/2 watt of power. So the takeaway here is that as long as there is a CLEAR unobstructed line of sight, and there is no interference, then range is not an issue.
But I guess I'm just a chicken about risking my quads, or other RC aircraft I use.

I can beat that - 1 Watt into Germany. Ha! :)

Ha. I picture the Drone Police Chiefs as a bunch of 70 year old men squinting at the computer trying to figure out where to click to make a post. lol
Trust me there are a number of them on here. Be careful what you post. I don't post any videos on here period. Just don't need the aggravation

Reactions: Chase R
Did they really delete my post? Can a moderator please explain to me what was wrong with that post?

What did you say? And how did you say it.

"Mountainous terrain, birds of prey circling above and power lines buzzing nearbye. That little girl needs to find a safer place to play if you ask me. ;)"

Apparently this is either "inappropriate or name calling" according to whichever moderator deleted it. My apologies, I didn't realize that we weren't allowed to dabble in the dark art of humor here.

"Mountainous terrain, birds of prey circling above and power lines buzzing nearbye. That little girl needs to find a safer place to play if you ask me. ;)"

Apparently this is either "inappropriate or name calling" according to whichever moderator deleted it. My apologies, I didn't realize that we weren't allowed to dabble in the dark art of humor here.

What it was was hilarious.. I remember it. 'Twas funny and not inappropriate in any way.

Reactions: Humanparody
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiraMir