DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How I hand catch the Mavic without fighting sensors on...

As soon as the wife goes to sleep, I am going to practice this hand grab. Been taking off and landing from semi dry dirt road or concrete sidewalk but am always nervous I will suck something up. Do you also take off from your palm? I will try that outside tomorrow if the weather is nice. Thanks for the video!

I tried catching it once with my hand and decide that it is too risky. As soon as my hand gets close, it must have detected the obstacle so it flew higher and away from me. I don't want to grab it too quickly as I run the risk of catching the propellers with my fingers.

That's why i grab it from the front like I do. If you position your hand the same way and have yourself off to the side, the sensors won't see you. No rush. You are away from the rear props and under the front arms so even if they did see you it would safely pull itself away. Folks here assume I mean eye level. I said comfortable height not eye level. It can be above eye level with no problem. Personally I don't wear sunglasses when flying. I find it restricts my vision to much. My eyes were never great but since I had cataract surgery on both of them I don't use sunglasses where precision counts.

As soon as the wife goes to sleep, I am going to practice this hand grab. Been taking off and landing from semi dry dirt road or concrete sidewalk but am always nervous I will suck something up. Do you also take off from your palm? I will try that outside tomorrow if the weather is nice. Thanks for the video!
Unless I have a clean surface I hand launch also which is about 90% of the time. Hand launching is easy but just watch your fingers. I hold a low cupped position on the bottom of the drone and do the precision auto take off. i hold my hand cupped a bit so it doesn't fall out of my hand but the drone is not grasped. it just lifts off the hand nice and gentle. just watch your hand. cup to much and your digits are in danger. Biggest thing about hand catching or launching is to never become comfortable. Never ever. The moment you become comfortable you do not pay the proper attention and that's where you'll definitely get whacked by a blade. When you are taking off or landing you have to always be all eyeballs and *** hole. Taking off and landing is where most airplane pilots and passengers loose their lives also. If done properly the way I catch it is easy but no landing is ever routine.

Forgot my manners. You are very welcome. Hope it works out for you as well as it has for me. I ordered the helipad and extended landing gear when I was doing the quick grab and fight from the bottom method. Now that I figured this out I doubt I'll use them much when they get here. It's just too worry free for the camera and quick to hand launch and catch.

After my Mavic almost committed suicide by fighting it's way out of my grasp indoors and almost going into the bigger prop of a ceiling fan I figured out a better way for me to catch it if done properly. I doesn't fight and I don't have to turn off sensors. If nothing else you'll see why I picked the name rough and wretched for the band. Based entirely on my looks. Lol.... If you are interested have a gander.

I tried your method yesterday and it worked very well. Grasping from the front avoids the sensors entirely. Thanks for the tip.

I assume doing from the front won't work with MA as it has sensors in the front too?

I assume doing from the front won't work with MA as it has sensors in the front too?
The idea is to put your hand in a spot that the downward sensors will not detect. The Pro's first sensor is about center so the front is clear to grab.

I still have not airlanded... I've landed in all sorts of crap conditions with wind etc... even landed on rocks. Maybe I should try this out and post my fail video.

I dont get all the fuss..

All you have to do is come down to head height more or less, keep your one hand under the drone and throttle down with the other. It sees your hand as the ground and just comes down, when it comes and sit in my hand I just hold it for the second or so it takes for the props to stop.

I dont get all the fuss..

All you have to do is come down to head height more or less, keep your one hand under the drone and throttle down with the other. It sees your hand as the ground and just comes down, when it comes and sit in my hand I just hold it for the second or so it takes for the props to stop.

This is exactly what I did. I wanted to practice in case I needed it, and with all the different methods, it just seems easiest to land in the hand. Plus, you are already holding the stick down, so motors will shut off in a second like you said to make it safe.

This is what happens when a blade gets you [emoji23] half your thumb hanging off now that was painful. Straight to a & e straight through my nail. 1525298574891.jpeg1525298664831.jpeg

Another angle hahaha
Just be careful I was a plonker and panicked and just grabbed it even though the blade was hitting my thumb and blood squirting everywhere. I still hand catch mine today like the other guy says with the mavic pro or any drone you can launch from absolutely anywhere and be straight up without being noticed. Hand take off is so easy it's just catching the bugger. 1525298907000.jpeg

Struggling to see why this needs a video. Turn off landing protection (or flick to sport mode), bring it to just above head level, one hand, thumb and 2 fingers to grab, other hand down stick. Done.

Hand catch is one of the things I haven't tried yet. Seems to be so many options to do this, and also a lot of failed attempts.

Can you really just grab it and flip it? I see people do that with Airs all the time on Vlogs. Didn't know you could do that with the Mavic.

Yes, be nice to not have to change any settings on the thing, just grab and flip.

Hand catch is one of the things I haven't tried yet. Seems to be so many options to do this, and also a lot of failed attempts.

Can you really just grab it and flip it? I see people do that with Airs all the time on Vlogs. Didn't know you could do that with the Mavic.

Yes, be nice to not have to change any settings on the thing, just grab and flip.

Like I mentioned earlier.

No need to disable any sensors, simply hover about head height, hold your hand palm open under the mavic about 0.5m under it and hold the left stick down to land. It sees your hand as the ground and comes down into your hand, no grabbing required.

Out of the 280 odd flights I have flown so far I would say more than half is hand lauch and caught..

Reactions: KiterTodd
Like I mentioned earlier.

No need to disable any sensors, simply hover about head height, hold your hand palm open under the mavic about 0.5m under it and hold the left stick down to land. It sees your hand as the ground and comes down into your hand, no grabbing required.

Out of the 280 odd flights I have flown so far I would say more than half is hand lauch and caught..
Thanks!

Oh... hand launched the same way? Do you use the launch button or just left stick up?
Maybe I'll put on some gloves and a thick long sleeve shirt and test it out this weekend...

Thanks!

Oh... hand launched the same way? Do you use the launch button or just left stick up?
Maybe I'll put on some gloves and a thick long sleeve shirt and test it out this weekend...

Hand launch I let it rest on my palm and use the slide to launch. It starts gently and takes of.

Cannot lauch by just pressing the left stick up, for that you first have to start the motors by pulling both sticks in and down at the same time.

I tried that once, but the moment the motors starts up I think the movements of holding it in your hand makes it think its in the air so it takes of right away to get away from your hand:oops:

Trt not to let it scare you.:p

Reactions: KiterTodd
Hand launch I let it rest on my palm and use the slide to launch. It starts gently and takes of.

Cannot lauch by just pressing the left stick up, for that you first have to start the motors by pulling both sticks in and down at the same time.

I tried that once, but the moment the motors starts up I think the movements of holding it in your hand makes it think its in the air so it takes of right away to get away from your hand:oops:

Trt not to let it scare you.:p
I tried this yesterday @Koelkop !
Took off without issues. Landed without issues!
"Wow," I thought... "all those times I lugged the landing pad out were for nothing. This is really going to change the game!"
Then on the next hand take-off the Mavic pancakes upside-down onto a gravel beach. ****.
Maybe my landing pad is still the safest approach...

(I'm sure it was user error and I pulled my hand away before it had fully lifted off, but it still sucked. I think the only damage is that it knocked my gimbal bracket out from under the hook. I was getting vibration errors. Will fly it again today to see if I've fixed it.)

If you turn off landing protection, does this mean that obstacle avoidance is now disabled for objects the drone is flying over, and that it can collide with them if does not have quite enough clearance?

If so, this means you would have to wait until it is about to land before turning it off rather than having it as a default setting.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18