DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly 1.11.4 Update for Air 3 as well?

WildcatDave

Reactions
I've seen this post quoted on a few sites and I'm a little confused if they are saying the "Mavic 3" they mean the Mavic Air 3? I know there's a Mavic 3 Pro and a Mavic 3 classic. But I don't remember there being a "Mavic 3", unless they're referring to the new Mavic Air 3. Am I confused here?

"DJI has released a fresh new update for its drone flying app, DJI Fly. Version 1.11.4 of the app comes with a host of new features for DJI’s flagship camera drones: Mavic 3, Mavic 3 Classic, and Mavic 3 Pro."

I really like the new feature they've added where you can see what the obstacle avoidance sensors are seeing (although they don't mention the downward sensors as part of this feature). I've recently purchased an Air 3 to replace my Mini 3 Pro as I really want side obstacle avoidance (elevation changes and sneaky saguaro cactus will catch you out when you're shooting in the desert). But I haven't opened it yet as I'm still not sure if I possibly want the Mavic 3 Pro. I don't really need the distance zoom. But the larger standard sensor is something I'm very interested in even though I don't do a lot of night shooting. I would prefer not to side upgrade to the Air 3, which is not going to make much of a difference in visual quality of images, if I can make a bigger jump by spending a few more dollars to the 3 Pro and also get this new feature of the obstacle avoidance sensor viewing.

I should likely just return the Air 3 and get the Pro 3 as that primary sensor is a pretty significant visual quality upgrade from what I can tell looking at online images. The only reason I strayed from that thought initially was I shoot almost entirely in daytime sun in Arizona and the sensor is it base ISO most of the time. But even with that the sky and desert can get a little noisy as it's a tiny sensor. Thoughts and opinions...

Edit: I just noticed the Pro 3 with fly more combo is nearly double the price of the Air 3 fly more combo. Don't think I'll be swapping that for $1,400. If I did a lot more night flying or shooting maybe, but I don't think it's a justifiable cost for me. Still curious on my original question if that new firmware covers viewing the obstacle sensors on the Air 3.

Last edited:
First there was the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 (Cine). You can call it the Original or the Legacy. Then there was the Mavic 3 Classic. This is while there was only the Air 2S. There is no Mavic designation for the Air series drones.

Along comes the Mavic 3 Pro and Mavic 3 Pro (Cine) and now you basically have 3 types of Mavic 3 drones: Original, Classic, and Pro in both the regular and Cine flavor.

Finally your drone is launched and it called Air 3. You do not have the new sensor upgrade....yet.

Reactions: PeterPatrick
First there was the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 (Cine). You can call it the Original or the Legacy. Then there was the Mavic 3 Classic. This is while there was only the Air 2S. There is no Mavic designation for the Air series drones.

Along comes the Mavic 3 Pro and Mavic 3 Pro (Cine) and now you basically have 3 types of Mavic 3 drones: Original, Classic, and Pro in both the regular and Cine flavor.

Finally your drone is launched and it called Air 3. You do not have the new sensor upgrade....yet.
Actually, the first two iterations of the Air series drones were named the Mavic Air and the the Mavic Air 2. It was only when DJI came out with the Air 2S that they started dropping the Mavic name from the Air series drones thereafter.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Actually, the first two iterations of the Air series drones were named the Mavic Air and the the Mavic Air 2. It was only when DJI came out with the Air 2S that they started dropping the Mavic name from the Air series drones thereafter.
I remember that. I had the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Mini and I remember when the name was dropped from those.

although its quite possible ,that in the fulness of time, the recent upgrades to the sensors abilities in the Mavic 3 line up ,could be added to the Air 3 ,personally i don't see that happening,anytime soon ,there has to be a tangible difference between model lines ,to warrant the difference in capabilities and cost between them all

Reactions: Kiwicbrthou
although its quite possible ,that in the fulness of time, the recent upgrades to the sensors abilities in the Mavic 3 line up ,could be added to the Air 3 ,personally i don't see that happening,anytime soon ,there has to be a tangible difference between model lines ,to warrant the difference in capabilities and cost between them all
Yeah this makes sense. I don't expect that they'll add that. When I saw the firmware notification I was surprised when I incorrectly assumed it might also include the Air 3. For nearly double the price (Mavic Pro 3) it has to have more than that big 4/3 sensor and super zoom. Having the ability to actually see what the obstacle avoidance sensors are doing is a pretty cool thing and probably unnecessary for my uses. Just having the full 360 obstacle avoidance that the Air 3 offers over the mini 3 pro is really all I need.

Reactions: old man mavic
I haven’t had 1.11.4 yet. I seem to recall that these updates are rolled out presumably so as not to bring the systems to a halt?

I haven’t had 1.11.4 yet. I seem to recall that these updates are rolled out presumably so as not to bring the systems to a halt?
Once the update has been publicly released, there are certain things you can do to trigger the update notification immediately before a normal rollout. Repeatedly manually checking for an update is the best way. Turning the controller on and off can sometimes help, too. Same with the drone.

Once the update has been publicly released, there are certain things you can do to trigger the update notification immediately before a normal rollout. Repeatedly manually checking for an update is the best way. Turning the controller on and off can sometimes help, too. Same with the drone.
Is the latter suggestion while the drone and RC are connected or doesn’t it matter? Thanks though. I do check for firmware updates regularly and App Store is always my access to Fly app updates.

Reactions: BearMan54
@twickers14 if i remember rightly for the original DJIRC controller that came with the Mini 3 pro it is just the RC that needs to be turned on to access the new App version .if you are downloading it to an IOS device then just go into the App store and select purchased then the Fly App and it will tell you there is an update

Is the latter suggestion while the drone and RC are connected or doesn’t it matter? Thanks though. I do check for firmware updates regularly and App Store is always my access to Fly app updates.
The RC updates will appear or can be prompted without being connected to the drone, if connected to the internet. However, the drone updates obviously require a connection to the RC and the internet, and are easily manually checked for in the Fly app. You can also hook the drone up to your computer and use Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones to check for new FW updates.

@twickers14 if i remember rightly for the original DJIRC controller that came with the Mini 3 pro it is just the RC that needs to be turned on to access the new App version .if you are downloading it to an IOS device then just go into the App store and select purchased then the Fly App and it will tell you there is an update
Perfect thanks. It updated straight away. Why don’t I work those sort of things out myself? Note to self “Check age”!

The RC updates will appear or can be prompted without being connected to the drone, if connected to the internet. However, the drone updates obviously require a connection to the RC and the internet, and are easily manually checked for in the Fly app. You can also hook the drone up to your computer and use Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones to check for new FW updates.
Thanks for this. Never used Assistant 2 (have seen it referred to a lot here) so must check it out. My old laptop is about to be replaced by a new MB Air 15”. May leave it until that’s in situ.

@twickers14 heh old man ,a bit less of the age ,if you dont mind ;););) i suppose i am just a youngster at 76 i guess, (just fooling with you)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman