DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many drones do you really need? Reality check.

Former Member

Reactions
I, for one, am guilty of being a drone collector (hoarder). But the question for everyone is, how many drones do you really, I mean really, need?

Do you use them for work on a regular basis? Do they make money for you? Are they collectible and are increasing in value? If your answer to all of these questions is no, maybe you dont really need all of them. You might want to keep them, but maybe you dont need them all.

Keeping a variety of different model drones is a chore. If you just keep one model such as the M2, but own an M2P and an M2Z, and rotate your batteries, then its not so bad. But keeping different models, with different batteries, and just letting them sit around is not such a great idea. I get calls every day from people asking if I repair older drones. Yes I do, but do you really want to go fly that P2 which uses a different app, and has all the features of a Model-A Ford? Get rid of that sucker!

It's spring time. If you are going to pare down your collection, now is a great time to sell all your unneeded drones. Clean out that garage, and make some money to buy some new stuff!

Reactions: tleedom
Like you I treat my drones with love and bags of care so I'm reluctant to sell my pets so I store them and whenever I get the urge to fly the older ones I get a bit of a kick, my next purchase is Phantom 4 Obsidian and Moverio's 35E's....soon I hope.

Reactions: Former Member
Like you I treat my drones with love and bags of care so I'm reluctant to sell my pets so I store them and whenever I get the urge to fly the older ones I get a bit of a kick, my next purchase is Phantom 4 Obsidian and Moverio's 35E's....soon I hope.

Do you happen to know the difference between the BT-300 and BT-35E? Im mulling over buying them.

The BT300's have a lot of irritating features which you have to work around whereas the BT-35E's just plug in and go. Check this out .

Really need? I need ALL of them LOL!

Actually I only "NEED" 3:

• Mavic Platinum
  • Spark(s)
  • H520

The rest are either for training, testing, or flying for FUN!

Yes it's a pain to have multiple platforms with different batteries, chargers, and Tx so we have to keep precise maintenance and charge logs to make sure we're not PUFFING our batteries.

Just a few weeks ago I did something that is out of character for me... I sold a working (in GREAT shape) sUAS. It was an Inspire 1 V2 that simply wasn't being flown any more. Against my gut instinct I sold it to a Law Enforcement Agency looking to add one to their fleet.

my MPP i would not sell for any amount,just love that UAV,my PH3S is up for sale and i have a friend lined up to purchase it why, because i do not really get the chance to fly it much,and i would rather someone got some pleasure from flying it. it comes with everything carrying case 4 batts, spare props screen mount range extenders full printed instruction manual in fact i dont really want to sell it ,but know it is just being wasted sitting in my bedroom,my other two UAVs are the x21 and x16 they are both in excellent condition have never been crashed and i use them to teach my family members and others to fly,they both have GPS and the x21 has glonass as well and will lock onto up to 20 sats the x16 is like my PH3S and will manage 9 or so sats they are both for sale with at least 4 batts each, which after nearly two years of use and care still let me fly for about 12 mins per battery, i still enjoy bombing around the sky with the GPS turned off in high speed mode really concentrates the mind.i did some 4 months ago give my my first two small none GPS drones to a friend for his kids to enjoy, as i never flew them i totally agree that battery storage is the biggest bugbear of having multiple UAVs but it is quite hard to part with them

Really need? I need ALL of them LOL!

Actually I only "NEED" 3:

• Mavic Platinum
  • Spark(s)
  • H520
The rest are either for training, testing, or flying for FUN!

Yes it's a pain to have multiple platforms with different batteries, chargers, and Tx so we have to keep precise maintenance and charge logs to make sure we're not PUFFING our batteries.

Just a few weeks ago I did something that is out of character for me... I sold a working (in GREAT shape) sUAS. It was an Inspire 1 V2 that simply wasn't being flown any more. Against my gut instinct I sold it to a Law Enforcement Agency looking to add one to their fleet.

You use each of them for SAR, so to me, thats the difference. I think it's great that you keep a charge log. Thats probably the best way to monitor multiple batteries, without having to rely on memory.

Why was selling the I-1 V2 out of character?

my MPP i would not sell for any amount,just love that UAV,my PH3S is up for sale and i have a friend lined up to purchase it why, because i do not really get the chance to fly it much,and i would rather someone got some pleasure from flying it. it comes with everything carrying case 4 batts, spare props screen mount range extenders full printed instruction manual in fact i dont really want to sell it ,but know it is just being wasted sitting in my bedroom,my other two UAVs are the x21 and x16 they are both in excellent condition have never been crashed and i use them to teach my family members and others to fly,they both have GPS and the x21 has glonass as well and will lock onto up to 20 sats the x16 is like my PH3S and will manage 9 or so sats they are both for sale with at least 4 batts each, which after nearly two years of use and care still let me fly for about 12 mins per battery, i still enjoy bombing around the sky with the GPS turned off in high speed mode really concentrates the mind.i did some 4 months ago give my my first two small none GPS drones to a friend for his kids to enjoy, as i never flew them i totally agree that battery storage is the biggest bugbear of having multiple UAVs but it is quite hard to part with them

@old man mavic are you going to buy something to replace the PH3S? I fly standards every so often, and its a challenge! Reminds me of an untamed stallion.

Reactions: old man mavic
I plan on keeping my Spark, MPP, and M2P for my own use.
I have also kept a couple of $150ish consumer drones with cameras for iPhone specifically to introduce my grandson to drone flying as soon as he has his 6th birthday.

Can you really have too many drones?

Do you still fly all of them regularly? Has the MPP gotten "old" after you got the M2P?

People like you and your posts OldManMavic enough that you get away with
not using paragraphs. Im obnoxious, so I have to be tactile with my spacing..

That said, i think everyone would enjoy you all the more if you started using paragraphs.
No disrespect

Edit: O yeh,If anything it's harder to fly VLOS with Moverios 35-E's
No shade you cant see the screen in front of you, and with the Rochester or OEM shade, its too dark to see your mobile screen
They are a super guilty indulgence for the drone flyer with everything, so sure get them, but
know you could sponsor a kid in africa for a year with the same money

Reactions: old man mavic
People like you and your posts OldManMavic enough that you get away with
not using paragraphs. Im obnoxious, so I have to be tactile with my spacing..

That said, i think everyone would enjoy you all the more if you started using paragraphs.
No disrespect

Edit: O yeh,If anything it's harder to fly VLOS with Moverios.
No shade you cant see the screen in front of you, and with the Rochester or OEM shade, its too dark to see your mobile screen

I actually enjoy his punctuation. It makes me read his posts slower, and forces me to pay more attention. There is always an upside to a downside. ;)

I actually enjoy his punctuation. It makes me read his posts slower, and forces me to pay more attention. There is always an upside to a downside. ;)
I would say "Pour it on" Thunder, but i dont want to derail and am in good mood :)
And No, i wouldn't sponsor a kid for a year in Africa. excuse my OCD edits

I have one from every generation from Dji. I even have a Yuneeq Q5004K. The 500 started this flying mess,and the controller is very much like the SC, just a little bigger. It was my “first “, and it takes great pics/videos, so I just kept it.
I put up shelves in the extra bedroom for all the drone stuff.
Do I need them all?, nope but it looks cool to me [emoji41].
I cycle the others, but I mostly fly the M2 nowadays.

You use each of them for SAR, so to me, thats the difference. I think it's great that you keep a charge log. Thats probably the best way to monitor multiple batteries, without having to rely on memory.

Why was selling the I-1 V2 out of character?

We learned early on that you have to be meticulous and methodical in record keeping in order to have a Flight Pack ready 24/7. If not you'll PUFF a pack in short order trying to always be GO READY.

I just don't normally get rid of a good working aircraft. I usually fly them until they either are no longer viable (equipment out of date/failure) or until I Re-Kit it. When I take one out of service (from the business side) I usually re-purpose it for training or "Experimentation". Both of those aren't very healthy for the aircraft LOL

I had a Mavic Pro (first drone) and loved it since day one. Got a Spar with the charger and the pack to have an even more compact "grab 'n' go" kit. Just recently bought the Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller & Fly More kit. Thought about keeping the Mavic Pro, but that really didn't make any sense. Sold it yesterday with a little tear in my eye, but the joy of flying the 2 with the smart controller is so pure that I won't really miss the first gen pro.

sorryif the way i post is not to every ones taste, just get into a flow of thought, and have to get it down as quick as possible.

but in future i will try to be more grammatically correct

@old man mavic are you going to buy something to replace the PH3S? I fly standards every so often, and its a challenge! Reminds me of an untamed stallion.
not at the moment Rob i will continue to enjoy my MPP for the conceivable future and wait and see what DJI come up with, who knows what that might be

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven