DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many here had a R/C background before Mavic?

So are you primarily..

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
10+ years here .

Planes
Heli
Quad
FPV

Started with ground pounders many moons ago

Same as Razor :)

3D heli's and planes
AP and FPV
Bit of slope soaring here and there ;)

My youtube channel
Nick B

Reactions: razors
30+ years in R/C. Mostly cars and boats. Some planes, but not hardcore. Drones the last couple years...

Piddled in RC over many years but non-stop since 2007 when I started with 3D and scale helis . Started building multi-rotors in 2010 with a FPV DJI Flame wheel 450 . Racing drone and Mavic now but still have the Planes and helis .

About 10 years R/C Hobbyist.

Started with cars moved into planes, Now onto drones/quads

Im a Photographer and R/C Hobbyist. I've been flying drones for 4-5 years now, Built my own, flew other brand names. I'm also a photographer been doing that for 10 years.

Im an RC grandpa. 45+ years in RC. Been flying full scale Cessnas, Mooneys, Pipers, Beeches, since I was a teen, dad always had a plane. Now I have cut back on full scale and rely most on drones for my kicks and giggles.

First plane was a Cox .049 control line when I was 13 and dad was in Vietnam. Taught myself how to fly and repair and crash.
RC airplanes since 1982 (started with AM, then FM, PCM, then 2.4ghz) before the Navy and then a bunch of other planes, gliders, etc.
RC helis since mid 2000's (Raptor 30 with TT 36 engine, then over 20 more, bigger and more expensive scale RC helis)
RC boats since 2008 mostly racing boats with Hanson or modified engines
RC nitro street cars since 2004, then on to nitro and electric on-road and off-road track racing 1/10, 1/8, 1/12 scale
First home-built aerial photography setup was 2009 with Trex 450 and cam/video equipment from Hobbyking
First drone was Parrot a few years ago, then P3S, P3A, P3P, P34k, P4, P4p, P4p+

Nowadays I try to fly a drone every day, have around 350 -400 flights logged and also spend alot of time repairing for friends and customers.

Im an RC grandpa. 45+ years in RC. Been flying full scale Cessnas, Mooneys, Pipers, Beeches, since I was a teen, dad always had a plane. Now I have cut back on full scale and rely most on drones for my kicks and giggles.

First plane was a Cox .049 control line when I was 13 and dad was in Vietnam. Taught myself how to fly and repair and crash.
RC airplanes since 1982 (started with AM, then FM, PCM, then 2.4ghz) before the Navy and then a bunch of other planes, gliders, etc.
RC helis since mid 2000's (Raptor 30 with TT 36 engine, then over 20 more, bigger and more expensive scale RC helis)
RC nitro street cars since 2004, then on to nitro and electric on-road and off-road track racing 1/10, 1/8, 1/12 scale
First home-built aerial photography setup was 2009 with Trex 450 and cam/video equipment from Hobbyking

Nowadays I try to fly a drone every day, have around 350 -400 flights logged and also spend alot of time repairing for friends and customers.

I got heaps of respect for the old gas plane flyers.
just balsa wood, tissue, and Dope :)
controllers had dials instead of sticks i think
and some ppl..."my drone wont go further than 30m! Not happy! sent it back to the factory! Curse you DJI" heh

we all have to start somewhere i guess

Don't fear......there are a lot of people here to help the new kids like you.....hang in there. Oh wait, you've already forgotten more than I'll probably ever know! Lol.

:)

...sent while not using phone to fly.

My very first plane was gas and was on strings that I flew myself in circles with.

#truth

10+ years flying helicopters, nitro and lipo. 50 and 90 size, 3d. Lots of fun but extremely expensive and I spent more time repairing (which I don't enjoy) vs flying. I've taken a break for a few years from the helis and focused on drones (and boats and large gas cars/trucks). Starting to get the heli bug again. Oh no!

My very first plane was gas and was on strings that I flew myself in circles with.

#truth

Guide by Wire was always fun/exciting just make sure you step back quickly to recover or its bad news for the plane and operator... :cool:

Reactions: GreatScott
I am a photographer first and foremost. The drone provided an excellent aerial platform i could use to get a new perspective into my work.

Bought my first gas heli in 1986 (Hirobo Falcon 505 second hand as that's all I could afford) with the view to mounting a camera on it, never happened... Have been flying rotary wing ever since and had / have at least 15 different models, never really mastering it, but love the mechanics and am an addict! I have a couple of buggies for my son and I to race, a cub fixed wing (for my son) and, what I consider the most beautiful r/c vehicle ever made, a Venom GPV-1 (a masterpiece of engineering). Always thought that drones were a fad that would pass, how wrong was I. Saw a P4 fly in person and went straight to the local hobby shop and ordered a Mavic (then waited the 2 months for it). Have not had a chance to really stretch it's wings, but I love it. Anyone who flew a collective pitch heli in the 80's would understand just what a revelation it is to fly one of these. It took 30 years, but I finally have a r/c rotary wing with a camera!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM