DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How much drifting is normal?

homerchiu

Reactions
Hey guys,

Lately I have noticed my Mavic drifts quite a bit when hovering - I have tested it a few times in different wind conditions but I am not sure if it is normal.

I have recorded a video of my Mavic hovering in my house (so not wind) to show how much it drifts. No control input during the hover.

Does your Mavic behave similarly?

I must point out that it did fall on sand once a few weeks ago due to a failed hand launch (it launched and then flipped and fell on sand). I am really hopping its not because of that.

Things I have done to try to solve it so far:

1. I have done IMU calibrations multiple times in different locations
2. I have done the joystick calibration
3. I have calibrated the gimbal on 95% level surface (tested with my iphone)

none of it seemed to improve it.

Does it drift outdoors?

Because I occasionally encounter some drift when trying to fly indoors...hence I have prop guards just to be on the safe side indoors..

Hey Homer. I get a small amount of drifting from time to time. I find a compass calibration tends to firm things up. Good luck!

When you say there's no wind indoors... you're not taking into account the large amount of convection caused by the Mavic itself.

With sufficient lighting, the VPS will keep it steady. Try again with all the lights on.

Does it drift outdoors?

Because I occasionally encounter some drift when trying to fly indoors...hence I have prop guards just to be on the safe side indoors..

When you say there's no wind indoors... you're not taking into account the large amount of convection caused by the Mavic itself.

With sufficient lighting, the VPS will keep it steady. Try again with all the lights on.

Hey Homer. I get a small amount of drifting from time to time. I find a compass calibration tends to firm things up. Good luck!

So I did more tests outdoor to see if things improve - unfortunately it didn't look like it.

I took 2 more videos too:

I will try to do another IMU calibration further away from metal structures - just wanted to know if this is what the Mavic is supposed to do or does mine drifts a lot more than others.

... I will try to do another IMU calibration further away from metal structures - just wanted to know if this is what the Mavic is supposed to do or does mine drifts a lot more than others.
Perhaps you are aware that the IMU calibration must be performed on a dead level surface. It makes all of the difference. If the surface is tilted slightly to one side, following calibration, the craft will tend to drift to the opposite side. Until you've calibrated on a dead level surface, you'll never know if that is causing your drifting issues. And IMUs are famous for causing drifting issues.

My mavic drifts slightly too. I've put it down to having replaced some but not all the props.

I must point out that it did fall on sand once a few weeks ago due to a failed hand launch (it launched and then flipped and fell on sand)

This is not normal at all! I never heard something like that. Some kind of heavy and dangerous disorientation.

Have you analysed the flight record?

I'm experiencing some drifting in yaw when stationary in the air. Have only calibrated the compass once (got yellow readings). HAve stuck to the theory to only calibrate when prompted. IMU readings are good (green).
Controller calibration says 0% on everything when i'm not using it.

Have heard this about many Mavics, is this normal?
Some bumps and adjustments in the air while windy I characterize as completely normal. The wind will act as a huge force on the drone.

So I did more tests outdoor to see if things improve - unfortunately it didn't look like it.

I took 2 more videos too:

I will try to do another IMU calibration further away from metal structures - just wanted to know if this is what the Mavic is supposed to do or does mine drifts a lot more than others.

You had a good breeze in both of those. I don't see any huge issue.

Indoors you're pushing a column of air downwards and this may fool the barometer a bit.

Put a bunch of different objects on the floor and light well. If the pattern on the floor is too regular then the VPS can't be sure where it is (aliasing).

IMU calibration doesn't care about metal objects. Do it on the best level surface you can find.

Compass calibration should be in an area without metals to interfere with the compass.

I had a small drift occur where it was more annoying knowing that I could tell it was drifting rather than the drift having any affect on performance. After packing it up, I found a hairline fracture on one of the props. Pressed it in a little and a chunk of the prop just cracked right off. Replaced it with a new propeller and the drift stopped!.

Keep in mind when calibrating the IMU that in addition to it being on a dead level table it needs to be dead quite while you're doing it . Any vibration can also throw it off .

IMU calibration has nothing to do with metal. That is the compass.

Your IMU cal requires a perfectly level surface. Your compass requires absense of any ferrous metals. If your IMU indications are in the green stop calibrating it.

Double check that your downward vision positioning is on, and as mentioned above, make sure there is plenty of light indoors.

Nothing looks abnormal here. You have got to expect some motion, as long as the motion is not continuous and corrects, your IMU is fine.

IF your heading on the map corresponds to the correct position, and there are no go4 errors, your compass is fine also.

All that said, I'd like to hear more about the hand launch "flip".

I'm interested to see where this goes... bookmarked this thread.

I forgot to say something that might help you. When I turned on my MP for the first time I installed a "bubble level" app in my phone just to find the perfect leveled surface to calibrate its IMU.

I forgot to say something that might help you. When I turned on my MP for the first time I installed a "bubble level" app in my phone just to find the perfect leveled surface to calibrate its IMU.

Did you calibrate the bubble level app on a known level surface first ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov