DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Much Lithium In Mavic Batteries?

njmowatt

Reactions
I'm flying to Mexico in a few days and doing some research about traveling w LiPos.
On the Delta website says that any battery with under 25 grams of lithium is permitted as carry-on.

I'm just about certain that these batteries are under their threshold but got to wondering how many grams of lithium are in these things.

anybody know???

A lot less than 25 grams... 25 grams are like tesla car battery size

Here's a calculator

Ah per cell x 0.3 gm x number of cells

Ah is amphour
gm is gram

The equation is roughly .3 grams of lithium to power 1 ah of power.

So example, mavic battery is 3830 mAh and 3 cell

So 3830 / 1000 = 3.83 aH

3.83 x 0.3 x 3 = or approx 3.4 grams of of lithium...

your formula cannot possibly be correct.

and deta can't possibly require that because there is no way to prove how much lithium is in a cell.

From deltas website:

Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed.

Umm...why? Batteries are not "best guesses" as to the amount of power that it takes, they are exact sciences. Before you post something flat out rejecting something before you check, try proofing yourself on google. A simple search would show you Several websites that give you the formula to know exactly how much lithium is required to get an amphour of power.

In addition deltas website does actually state exactly what the op says in addition to the other requirements, a bit confusing to have it listed both ways, but it is what it is.

https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/baggage/acceptance_guidelines.pdf

Reactions: dholy1
the problem with the formula is it doesnt work for all sizes of cells.

im not suggesting that the premise is invalid, rather that the maths are wrong.

Of course it does... math scales exactly. For example, a battery states an exact mAh, you know how many cells are in a battery. Simple equation will tell you how many mAh are per cell, thus it scales for any size battery. The amount of lithium for powering is a constant. With the constant and the known information you can figure out an exact amount of lithium in your battery if any size.

not with the formula you used.

you're clearly an idiot so im going to stop talking to you now.

A lot less than 25 grams... 25 grams are like tesla car battery size

Here's a calculator

Ah per cell x 0.3 gm x number of cells

Ah is amphour
gm is gram

The equation is roughly .3 grams of lithium to power 1 ah of power.

So example, mavic battery is 3830 mAh and 3 cell

So 3830 / 1000 = 3.83 aH

3.83 x 0.3 x 3 = or approx 3.4 grams of of lithium...
3830/3/1000*.3(gm) *3=1.149(gm) I do not know if your formula is correct, however you arithmetic is flawed.

im not suggesting that the premise is invalid, rather that the maths are wrong.

Whether that's exact for all cells is irrelevant (seems to actually be varying very little), what matters is that the "equivalent Li content" calculated that way is what shippers use for calculation.
http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/LithiumBattery_JobAid.pdf

Most refer to the capacity in Wh instead since it's pretty much a direct equivalent and easier to calculate (even witten on most batteries nowadays for that very reason). Seems a common limit is 8gr of "equivalent Li content"... which unsurprisingly "happens" to match the common 100Wh limit.

3.45gr for Mavic batteries, or just look at the 43.6Wh rating. Hey, 8*0.436=3.49, magic!

Last edited:
3830/3/1000*.3(gm) *3=1.149(gm) I do not know if your formula is correct, however you arithmetic is flawed.

that's not my formula. re-read it.

(3830 x .3 x 3), not sure how that translated in your post to "3830/3/1000*.3 ? In addition, you do know that division is not calculated in the same order as multiplication? You apparently tried to "proof" my formula to claim it wrong, but since you can just change the signs, all you do is prove your proof is wrong.

Whether that's exact for all cells is irrelevant (seems to actually be varying very little), what matters is that the "equivalent Li content" calculated that way is what shippers use for calculation.
http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/LithiumBattery_JobAid.pdf

Most refer to the capacity in Wh instead since it's pretty much a direct equivalent and easier to calculate (even witten on most batteries nowadays for that very reason). Seems a common limit is 8gr of "equivalent Li content"... which unsurprisingly "happens" to match the common 100Wh limit.

3.45gr for Mavic batteries, or just look at the 43.6Wh rating. Hey, 8/0.436=3.49, magic!

at least someone knows how to add using simple math.

that's not my formula. re-read it.

(3830 x .3 x 3), not sure how that translated in your post to "3830/3/1000*.3 ? In addition, you do know that division is not calculated in the same order as multiplication? You apparently tried to "proof" my formula to claim it wrong, but since you can just change the signs, all you do is prove your proof is wrong.
My error and my apologies, I tried to run the formula as I understood it; thank you for the explanation.

and deta can't possibly require that because there is no way to prove how much lithium is in a cell.

From deltas website:

Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed.

That shouldn't apply to my Mavic since it is li-poly not li-ion ,LOL

Reactions: MavicScot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osmunda