DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID - in the EU?

Aerophile

Reactions
I live in the USA. I'll be heading off to Europe in September for a vacation, and plan to bring my drone along. I'm generally aware of the approaching US Remote ID requirement, though I have yet to do anything about it* (see below for that asterisk).

Short version: What are the current requirements for Remote ID in The EU?
Details follow for those interested/in case they any make a difference.

Details:
  • I have a Mini 3 Pro, so can stay under 250 grams. I do have a set of the standard (light) batteries for sub-250-gram conditions; I also have the extended "Heavy Yankee" batteries for when I don't care about staying under 250 grams.
  • I have already completed the required EU UAS online training and registered as an UAS Operator (have an Operator ID with which I will label my drone). FWIW I registered through Ireland (that was fairly straightforward and from initial ID verification in their system to completion of the training and Operator Registration, all took less than 24 hours); as soon as I put a new sticker on my drone with the EU reg number, I should be good for all EU states (and the other handful of states) that follow EASA drone regulations.
  • My trip is to Malta, which is an EU member state and does follow EASA regulations, with the additional requirement to have drone insurance (that's what I'll be working on next).
  • My trip is coming up in late September to mid-October 2023. As luck would have it, I'll be departing right around the date when US requirement for Remote ID goes into effect.
  • *My Mini has NOT had the firmware update – yet – that turns on Remote ID broadcast (as I recall, turning on Remote ID broadcast was something of a "surprise" that DJI quietly rolled into a routine firmware update early this year); nor have I updated the DJI Fly app. As best I can tell, my Mini is not broadcasting remote ID currently. Of course, once Remote ID is required here in the US, I'll update all as required, but probably not until my first flight following the roll-out date. That's currently slated for September 16, I think (but I would not be completely shocked if there's a delay in the requirement).
So, of course, I do intend to comply with the remote ID regulations here at home, when I have to. And I will also do so in the EU if/when that's required there. My question really boils down to...is Remote ID a requirement in the EU currently? Is that requirement coming in the future, and if so, when?

Thanks!

The US plans to be the first major country to have the RID requirement for drones starting next month. Other countries will for sure follow.

There isn't any requirement on EU, it hasn't been legislated yet, but your DJI drones will emit both for Aeroscope and RID no matter what so yep, anyone can pick your M3, Mini 3, Air2S, etc on their phones.

First rule of drone flying is takeoff from a hidden place or a fenced private property, that's the way to never get bothered, no matter where or how you fly, long range is your friend.

Unless you are doing FPV or flying close to obstacles, keep your drone away from you.

Reactions: Brutalwarpig
Personally I think it's going to be unfortunate for those who launch from home or from their backyard who felt a bit of privacy. I never fly from home because for a long long time I was located in a spot where I couldn't but I've grown used to not "intruding" on my close neighbors with my daily [drone] habits. ;)

There isn't any requirement on EU, it hasn't been legislated yet, but your DJI drones will emit both for Aeroscope and RID no matter what so yep, anyone can pick your M3, Mini 3, Air2S, etc on their phones.

First rule of drone flying is takeoff from a hidden place or a fenced private property, that's the way to never get bothered, no matter where or how you fly, long range is your friend.

Unless you are doing FPV or flying close to obstacles, keep your drone away from you.
This is terrible advice

I live in the USA. I'll be heading off to Europe in September for a vacation, and plan to bring my drone along. I'm generally aware of the approaching US Remote ID requirement, though I have yet to do anything about it* (see below for that asterisk).

Short version: What are the current requirements for Remote ID in The EU?
Details follow for those interested/in case they any make a difference.

Details:
  • I have a Mini 3 Pro, so can stay under 250 grams. I do have a set of the standard (light) batteries for sub-250-gram conditions; I also have the extended "Heavy Yankee" batteries for when I don't care about staying under 250 grams.
  • I have already completed the required EU UAS online training and registered as an UAS Operator (have an Operator ID with which I will label my drone). FWIW I registered through Ireland (that was fairly straightforward and from initial ID verification in their system to completion of the training and Operator Registration, all took less than 24 hours); as soon as I put a new sticker on my drone with the EU reg number, I should be good for all EU states (and the other handful of states) that follow EASA drone regulations.
  • My trip is to Malta, which is an EU member state and does follow EASA regulations, with the additional requirement to have drone insurance (that's what I'll be working on next).
  • My trip is coming up in late September to mid-October 2023. As luck would have it, I'll be departing right around the date when US requirement for Remote ID goes into effect.
  • *My Mini has NOT had the firmware update – yet – that turns on Remote ID broadcast (as I recall, turning on Remote ID broadcast was something of a "surprise" that DJI quietly rolled into a routine firmware update early this year); nor have I updated the DJI Fly app. As best I can tell, my Mini is not broadcasting remote ID currently. Of course, once Remote ID is required here in the US, I'll update all as required, but probably not until my first flight following the roll-out date. That's currently slated for September 16, I think (but I would not be completely shocked if there's a delay in the requirement).
So, of course, I do intend to comply with the remote ID regulations here at home, when I have to. And I will also do so in the EU if/when that's required there. My question really boils down to...is Remote ID a requirement in the EU currently? Is that requirement coming in the future, and if so, when?

Thanks!
It's my understanding that the Mini 3 Pro (not the regular Mini 3) permanently transmits remote ID information straight from the factory. This is one reason I bought a regular Mini 3. Strangely the Mini 4 only broadcasts remote ID when the plus battery is installed.

It's my understanding that the Mini 3 Pro (not the regular Mini 3) permanently transmits remote ID information straight from the factory.
Not true - at least not true in all cases.

Mini 3 Pros that were manufactured before a certain date did not have RID enabled by default. They received a RID activation as part of a firmware update (this was done without notifying users). Once that firmware was installed, RID was enabled and from that point on was always-on, and it was not possible to roll back to an earlier firmware. Essentially, DJI slipped this through with no notice and no way to undo it.

If you have an early Mini 3 Pro that came from the factory with no RID, and if you have not installed any firmware updates that were released after the silent RID "upgrade", then that Mini 3 Pro still does not transmit RID.

Mini 3 Pro models that were produced later came from the factory with RID enabled.

I have one of those early Mini 3 pro models. It is not broadcasting RID and until/unless I update the firmware, it won't. I have flown it in the EU (legally) but I believe the EASA now has its own RID requirement. That prompted my question.

I am from Germany and have a Mini 4 Pro. All sub-250 gram drones (also C0 classified ones) don't require remote id here and the actual firmware for my Mini 4 Pro doesn't support it yet.
However, if I would like flying with extended batteries and therefore heavier than 250 grams there are two options.
1. I could declassify the Mini 4 Pro because it was bought before January 1st 2024 and then fly in A3 airspace only, with big distance to anything, limiting flying to rural areas.
2. I could reclassify the Mini 4 Pro to be C1 compliant. By this I can still fly in A1 airspace, same as is for the sub-250 gram version. But I will then need the A1/A3 knowledge certificate and the drone needs to support remote id. This is not yet fully implemented by DJI and expected to roll out during the next weeks.

For your situation I would recommend staying below 250 grams and enjoy flying.

I am from Germany and have a Mini 4 Pro. All sub-250 gram drones (also C0 classified ones) don't require remote id here and the actual firmware for my Mini 4 Pro doesn't support it yet.
However, if I would like flying with extended batteries and therefore heavier than 250 grams there are two options.
1. I could declassify the Mini 4 Pro because it was bought before January 1st 2024 and then fly in A3 airspace only, with big distance to anything, limiting flying to rural areas.
2. I could reclassify the Mini 4 Pro to be C1 compliant. By this I can still fly in A1 airspace, same as is for the sub-250 gram version. But I will then need the A1/A3 knowledge certificate and the drone needs to support remote id. This is not yet fully implemented by DJI and expected to roll out during the next weeks.

For your situation I would recommend staying below 250 grams and enjoy flying.

Have you seen enforcement of the new rules for A1 versus A2 airspace, C1-compliant drones and so forth?

I've heard that there may be some kind of informal grace period.

Or is it likely that police and other law enforcement agencies are now proactively enforcing these new A1 and C1 rules, by scanning for illegal drone flights through Aeroscope and other similar tools

Or if a policeman sees you flying a drone, will they know that the rules have changed from this year and only drones with the C1 labels are allowed to fly in the same situations as before 2024?

I've heard claims that police in Spain are proactive, looking for illegal drone flights, even before this year.

Haven't heard if that's the case in other countries or the local police agencies are still learning these new rules.

2. I could reclassify the Mini 4 Pro to be C1 compliant... This is not yet fully implemented by DJI and expected to roll out during the next weeks.
Can you share what is the basis for your expectation that DJI is going to provide an update for your situation "during the next weeks"? I mean, beyond just hoping that they will...

This option was available within the Fly app's "security settings" screen near where you can set the maax. altitude. As I have done so for my Mini 4 it'S no longer available on my RC2 now.

This option was available within the Fly app's "security settings" screen near where you can set the maax. altitude. As I have done so for my Mini 4 it'S no longer available on my RC2 now.

Did you purchase your Mini 4 Pro in Europe?

Did it come with the C1 label?

Or did you order the C1 label through the Fly app?

Ask around, 99% (maybe more) of the world has no idea what remote ID is and the chances of it being a real issue for anyone is slim. If you operate reasonably, without directly aggravating people, most will not care at all that you’re even around. With a mini, you barely even hear it right above you. That said, the bigger issue with travel is making sure you meet all the local laws of operation as someone that is not a resident. That can become a challenge.

Did you purchase your Mini 4 Pro in Europe?

Did it come with the C1 label?

Or did you order the C1 label through the Fly app?
I bought my Mini 4 Pro in Germany last year and it was classified as C0. Then there was the option to unclassify the drone for enabling max. altitudes of more than 120m. This option was offered within the Fly app near the option for setting max. altitude.
Then DJI announced that it will be possible reclassifying the drone for C1 in 2024 and I have seen a menu item supporting that. I didn't order C1 classification as there is no benefit against an unclassified drone to me. It is only of interest if you intend to use e.g. extended batteries and therefore increase the weight over 250g. The disadvantage of C1 is the need for remote id even for the Mini 4 Pro (ehich is supported by the drone).
Remember: This is only valid for drones bought during 2023, not for newer ones.

I bought my Mini 4 Pro in Germany last year and it was classified as C0. Then there was the option to unclassify the drone for enabling max. altitudes of more than 120m. This option was offered within the Fly app near the option for setting max. altitude.
Then DJI announced that it will be possible reclassifying the drone for C1 in 2024 and I have seen a menu item supporting that. I didn't order C1 classification as there is no benefit against an unclassified drone to me. It is only of interest if you intend to use e.g. extended batteries and therefore increase the weight over 250g. The disadvantage of C1 is the need for remote id even for the Mini 4 Pro (ehich is supported by the drone).
Remember: This is only valid for drones bought during 2023, not for newer ones.

But do you have to get the C1 label sent to you if you classify in the app?

Because it doesn't sound like the drones you buy in 2024 comes with the label. You can only order it and DJI will mail or ship it.

I will not reclassify mine for C1. If you want to do it you will have to follow DJI's instructions, e.g. with taking pictures and uploading them to DJI.

I will not reclassify mine for C1. If you want to do it you will have to follow DJI's instructions, e.g. with taking pictures and uploading them to DJI.
Well for us Americans wanting to fly in the EU, it's a problem because we can't get CE labels.

Now if I could just buy a Mini 4 Pro and not worry about CE labels, that would be great.

But I'm currently in Sicily and I've been in Malta the past two weeks. Blustery winds are preventing me from flying my 900 gram Mavic 2 Pro.

I tried flying over Ragusa, a very stunning locale. But the drone was getting tossed around and I didn't press it, landed it after about 15-20 minutes and didn't try to fly again.

So Mini 4 Pro would have even greater problems. My trip lasts 3 more days but the forecast isn't looking great for winds and sun.

Should be no problem for you, as the Mini 4 Pro is a sub 250 grams drone and even unclassified drones have still the same rights during flight as new C0-certified ones.
But be aware that you MUST apply for a operator id at the responsible organisation (LBA for Germany), you MUST attach a label with that id on the drone and you MUST have a drone insurance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13