DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to improve the drone videos?

Hi all,
The problem with most of the drone videos is that they contains "only" aerial views and most of these shots are wide shots. Such videos can become boring even if they are short!
How can one obtain more interesting videos? Well it´s easy! In a drone video we should also shoot plenty of various "ground-shots" to show the subjects from another angle as from above!
Important: we should shoot lots of medium-shots, medium long shots and close-up shots. Close-up shots are the salt in the moviemakers soup! A saltless soup tastes rather stale/bad, the same happens with a movie which contains only aereal wide shots! It is rather boring to watch!
I am working on a "fall-video" which will be salty :) in a couple of week it will be done and I will post it here!
this were only my two cents;)

cheers and have a good weekend,
Paul
Jack: Try adding a lead-in log-spiral flight trajectory to your first scene for a more dramatic effect. For each log-spiral trajectory there is a constant tangent angle; so you don't even have to change the camera yaw all along the chosen trajectory. I've attached an image illustrating some trajectory options (you would want to add a few more waypoints) that you might want to try. What do you think?
This is a project (planning stages) in Mexico.

Attachments

• Log-Spiral Constant Tangent Angle Illustration-LINE 102020.jpg
    Log-Spiral Constant Tangent Angle Illustration-LINE 102020.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 5
Jack: Try adding a lead-in log-spiral flight trajectory to your first scene for a more dramatic effect. For each log-spiral trajectory there is a constant tangent angle; so you don't even have to change the camera yaw all along the chosen trajectory. I've attached an image illustrating some trajectory options (you would want to add a few more waypoints) that you might want to try. What do you think?
This is a project (planning stages) in Mexico.
I could not agree more with Paul (Jack?) . If you have been following my posts over the past several years, you will already know that most of my submissions are multi-media presentations. I concentrate heavily on timelapse sequences, both on a tripod and on a motion slider, which takes a considerable amount of set up and waiting time, often during difficult conditions (cold nights, hot days, etc). Combined with these sequences (which I started on 2015) I added drone videos in 2018 and then once I was able to learn video editing, I added other sources such as my Osmo Action (like a GoPro), Osmo Pocket, and Osmo Mobile videos, iPhone videos, and of course, DSLR stills. If you look at any videos on my Vimeo site, you will see that drone videos are only a portion of my clips. I feel that this adds immensely to the variation of the film. For reference I think that pure drone footage gets boring quite fast. Long flights over a field or a river or a mountain range get boring within 4-10 seconds. You really need to juice it up with different views. When I started with photography we were all taught to start with a wide view, then a mid view then a close up view, Same principles apply here.

I will refer you to my Vimeo site. for examples.

Jim you are talking about which video?
Jack: I am speaking of all video content in general. I think anyone can enhance the entry scene of their video product by entering the video via a log-spiral trajectory segment. Get the audience's attention quick.

ack: I am speaking of all video content in general. I think anyone can enhance the entry scene of their video product by entering the video via a log-spiral trajectory segment. Get the audience's attention quick.
Ah ok Jim, I was at a loss sorry;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman