DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to prepare for initial delivery?

KiterTodd

Reactions
Hi! I'm sure this question has been asked, but I didn't see a FAQ or "newbie" section so I'll ask here and if you point me to an existing thread, I'd be perfectly happy.

My drone is on the way. Other than little toy drones I've flown in the house, this will be my first.

Is there anything I can do to prepare now for the first flight? Would it be useful to set up any accounts, download particular apps (I have the FAA B4UFLY one), etc.?

The day it shows up, I'll probably be running out at lunch the next day to play around for first flights.

Thanks in advance for any tips or pointers to existing info. Thumbswayup

Reactions: Misterdavis
If you don't have it already, get your FAA registration done. You do not need any drone information if you are applying for a hobbyist registration. You register the pilot, not the drone.

There are also tons of YouTube videos you can watch from other folks first flights. You might find some of them helpful.

Remember you can not fly the drone until you complete the DJI registration via the GO4 app also think about taking out the Refresh cover as I think its worth the $99.

First flight keep the drone in beginner mode for a few flights and fly in an open area/field well away from people and roads and anything you can bump into really :)

The mavic works best when in GPS mode so once out side power on the drone and wait do not take off as soon as you power on.....

Once the drone has completed its start up and has enough satellites you will hear "the Home Point Has Been Updated Check It On The Map" PLEASE PLEASE check the map to make sure that the home point is correct then take off vertically to no more than 10 meters and wait 5 seconds ( this makes sure the drone takes a picture of the landing area ) then you are good to go.

Great tips so far, thank you. I did opt for the Refresh package. First drone, seemed like a good idea...

What are your thoughts on the privacy concerns with the FAA registration? I don't mind registering, seems like the right thing to do, but all the initial stories that came up on Google did not really support that decision. I admit I don't want my name and address to come up on the database and when I looked online I did see others around me who had registered.

Beginner Mode...got it. I'll look for some first flight videos. I have seen a lot of them but none mention the things you guys have. They pretty much just show people turning it on, doing some GPS calibration dance, taking off, big smiles, etc.

I don't mind registering, seems like the right thing to do
Yes, it's normally best to follow the law.

I don't want my name and address to come up on the database and when I looked online I did see others around me who had registered.
There is no public database for hobbyist registrations. If you're referring to registering commercially, then there is no way of getting around that issue.

Reactions: younumpty
For weather conditions and if it's a good idea to fly plus where the local no fly zones are get UAV Forecast app. Have it on iOS not sure if it's in android but very good app. Been flying for 38 years now and all I can say is go slow, learn the sticks so you can fly LOS without thinking and be cautious.
Really there should be a newbie area... happy flying.

Fly safe... :)

Reactions: KiterTodd
There is no public database for hobbyist registrations. If you're referring to registering commercially, then there is no way of getting around that issue.
That's new information, thanks. I did see several DJI registrations in my area in the database, but now that you mention it, every registration looked commercial. So, if I register as a hobbyist, my info isn't in the easily downloadable spreadsheets available from THIS database? Good to know.

And yes, I'd be going for hobbyist.

OMG what a dope in the video above. Can't even relocate the gimbal clamp correctly. Calibrate compass in the house! If it wasn't scary I'd laugh... HOLY CARP...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
Download, read, and fully understand the Mavic manual before your first flight. You can download the manual from the Mavic downloads page. Also, check out the tips at MavicHelp.com.
msinger, again, thanks for these tips. I have read the entire manual and while very informative, it seems to lack in-depth detail to certain flight modes and on many camera settings.

Is there an extensive manual anywhere (by either DJI or someone else) that covers every menu setting?
Maybe a wiki manual or something?

I've seen several topics discussed in videos that aren't in the manual.

Case in point, I wanted to find out the specific limits of BEGINNER mode, and I can't find that anywhere.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate the help, I am doing my own searches before asking here. I realize it can be annoying to answer the same questions over and over.

Ask the google! Amazing what can be found there. There is a camera setting that I could not figure out how to change from 50hz to 60 hz. Found the answer on YouTube. Switch from manual mod back to auto mod and then you can make the switch. Always interesting where this info can be found. I'll admit that I'm not the best at remembering where I saw something that I should have written down. GET A NOTEBOOK!!

Reactions: KiterTodd
Also, mr. msinger is a wealth of knowledge. I think his middle name may be Google.

Reactions: younumpty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78