DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to stop propellors from spinning after a crash?

mschwind200

Reactions
The other day is had a minor crash with my Mavic, and I noticed that when it hit the ground it flipped upside down and the propellers kept spinning. They were just drilling into the ground, which lead to some prop damage.

Even though I held down the decend stick, they wouldn't stop.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of option I can enable so that if this happens again the props will just stop?

Thanks [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G800Y using MavicPilots mobile app

You can stop the motors by doing a CSC.

Per the Mavic manual:

CSC.jpg

Reactions: Darkbrood
Yes.

Trust me, there is no offense intended here, but If I were you, I'd reign in my horses quite a bit and put the Mavic away until you DO read the manuals. If you don't know basic stick control God only knows what else you are missing out on that could end up hurting you or someone else, which is unacceptable in the drone pilot responsibility department.

Even though it is being massed produced, marketed well, and has obviously developed quite a large following, the Mavic is NOT a toy. It is a serious UAV aircraft that MUST be taken seriously. Part of the social contract you accept as a drone pilot is ensuring others that you know how to handle your aircraft and will not put others in peril. I mean, if you want to hurt yourself the FAA may not have much to say about it. But if you hurt others, they just might. I'm sure the lawyers involved certainly would.

I know getting your Mavic out and up there is very tempting and that DJI has made it appear incredibly user friendly - which it is - but until you thoroughly digest the manuals, view as many of the available worthwhile videos that you can that are out there about the Mavic, and are able to at least know the answers to very basic questions like "how do I turn it off?", then I'd strongly suggest a shift in your paradigm and start over properly from scratch. You and your Mavic will appreciate it later.

There's always time to fly. But there's not always money laying around to re-buy. Worse yet, it's always too late - and never leaves you with a good feeling - to have to say "I'm sorry" after any accident has injured another person through pure negligence of your own. And if you're like me, it's a feeling you want to avoid. Take the time and know the materials you need to. Just a very strong suggestion to you.

Trust me, there is no offense intended here, but If I were you, I'd reign in my horses quite a bit and put the Mavic away until you DO read the manuals. If you don't know basic stick control God only knows what else you are missing out on that could end up hurting you or someone else, which is unacceptable in the drone pilot responsibility department.

Even though it is being massed produced, marketed well, and has obviously developed quite a large following, the Mavic is NOT a toy. It is a serious UAV aircraft that MUST be taken seriously. Part of the social contract you accept as a drone pilot is ensuring others that you know how to handle your aircraft and will not put others in peril. I mean, if you want to hurt yourself the FAA may not have much to say about it. But if you hurt others, they just might. I'm sure the lawyers involved certainly would.

I know getting your Mavic out and up there is very tempting and that DJI has made it appear incredibly user friendly - which it is - but until you thoroughly digest the manuals, view as many of the available worthwhile videos that you can that are out there about the Mavic, and are able to at least know the answers to very basic questions like "how do I turn it off?", then I'd strongly suggest a shift in your paradigm and start over properly from scratch. You and your Mavic will appreciate it later.

There's always time to fly. But there's not always money laying around to re-buy. Worse yet, it's always too late - and never leaves you with a good feeling - to have to say "I'm sorry" after any accident has injured another person through pure negligence of your own. And if you're like me, it's a feeling you want to avoid. Take the time and know the materials you need to. Just a very strong suggestion to you.

I was unaware of any social contract that I accepted. Was there a button I missed when ordering? Or is it in the DJI Go app?

You can stop the motors by doing a CSC.

Per the Mavic manual:

View attachment 5084

Has this changed from the Phantom 3 advanced? Mine landed upside down after hitting a brand and it burned out 2 motors trying to flip itself back over. I did the CSC many times while running over to it and it did not respond. People on the DJI forums said it wont respond to the CSC if the drone is upside down.

I was unaware of any social contract that I accepted. Was there a button I missed when ordering? Or is it in the DJI Go app?

I assume your being facetious!
To answer your question YES you did accept a social contract when you Activated your drone. Did you read the agreement and terms before you checked the box and then clicked "OK Activate" my Mavic?

Rob

Reactions: MavicMo
To answer your question YES you did accept a social contract when you Activated your drone. Did you read the agreement and terms before you checked the box and then clicked "OK Activate" my Mavic?

Rob

You see right through me. ha I was mocking the seriousness of post I quoted. Yes you have responsibilities when flying a drone but I feel like some users equate that with taking the Hippocratic oath. Yes you can hurt someone or damage someones property but you take on ten times the responsibility every day when you start your car.

Threads like this are a great way to kill interest in the hobby for the first time drone flyer. Posts 1-8 in this thread were informative and positive then #9 came with derogatory lecturing.

I admit that I am new to the world of drones and one of the first things I saw was the Mavic and I ordered it with little knowledge and no experience. I ordered about a week after announcement and the best thing that happened to me was the shipping delay. In the time before I received the Mavic, I read, reread and reread the manual again, read a couple of drone books, bought a Inductrix mini quad and practiced, practiced, practiced and I still wasn't ready when the Mavic arrived. I flew in beginner mode for a few weeks before taking the training wheels off. I learned a lot by reading this forum, DJI forum and others too and also watched countless hours of YouTube reviews and feature explanations.

The point of my post is I'm surprised at how "thin" the manual is and how little it actually does explain beyond the basics, especially for a beginner. After everything I learned not from the manual but by investing time I think the manual should have been bigger. I am thankful to this forum and the community for all I learned and continue to learn. I'll probably get told for this post the Mavic isn't a beginner drone but I do feel fortunate that I didn't hurt anybody or crash it, but lastly I'm glad I went for it!

Reactions: Slantnose79
Has this changed from the Phantom 3 advanced? Mine landed upside down after hitting a brand and it burned out 2 motors trying to flip itself back over. I did the CSC many times while running over to it and it did not respond. People on the DJI forums said it wont respond to the CSC if the drone is upside down.

Not sure if it has changed from the Phantom , but there is an option in the DJIGo4 app to set the emergency cut off to work anytime it is activated, or to work only when the MP senses a critical error. I don't know what the "Critical Error" parameters are though.

I'm aware of what you're saying, so I will read the manual. But I'm just letting you know that I have had a Phantom 3 Pro and a Phantom 4 and I've never had a crash. When the Mavic did flip on it's back I did do a CSC three times but every time I did it the motors wouldn't stop, so I thought that there was a different way to stop the motors other than a CSC. I'll read the manual now anyway. Thanks

Reactions: CC Rider
Wh

Rob
When I unboxed my Mavic I didn't get an "OK Activate" button. I'm in Australia is something in other countries different?

Another way to get information about the mav is YOUTUBE. This way you can learn from other people's mistakes (and save your drone) eg: flying over water ;-))
There are some great Vlogs though.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Another way to get information about the mav is YOUTUBE. This way you can learn from other people's mistakes (and save your drone) eg: flying over water ;-))
There are some great Vlogs though.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Yeah I've checked out lots of those. They seemed to help me avoid making even bigger mistakes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Greece