DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse of landscape during eclipse how to?

justcruisin

Reactions
Hello,

I would like to capture a video or a hyperlapse during the total eclipse. Not much on google regarding the subject.

My intent is to capture how it looks on the ground, not directly point at the sun itself. Maybe even have it aimed at myself and my family in our camping chairs enjoying the experience.

Any tips on settings? Just run it in auto and let er rip?

This will be with a Mavic 2 Pro.

Thanks

Put the drone up about 50 feet and aim it at something with shadows. Especially shadows and spaces created by tree leaves. The spaces become crescents, waxing and waning with the moons movement.

Another idea would be to use Hyperlapse in circle, course lock, or even waypoint mode and frame the shot how you want and leave the EV settings on manual so you can change the shutter speed during the hyperlapse to keep proper exposure throughout the sequence of images.

The shadow moves at about 1500 km/h, so things will happen pretty quickly as totality approaches. You only have a few minutes. from start to finish. It might be better to shoot a video that you could speed up later if you want to, possibly speed-ramping parts of it.

The shadow moves at about 1500 km/h, so things will happen pretty quickly as totality approaches. You only have a few minutes. from start to finish. It might be better to shoot a video that you could speed up later if you want to, possibly speed-ramping parts of it.
This is extremely good advice. I had completely overlooked the fact that the entire process will last mere minutes, at least the good parts. So perhaps a video is better and will give more artistic freedom in post production

I'd be shooting at the highest frame rate I could so I could do some slo mo later if I wanted. At the speed of the shadow it's going to sweep over your little local area crazy fast so the interest will actually be in the kinds of thing that mobilehammer commented on. Good luck

Hello,

I would like to capture a video or a hyperlapse during the total eclipse. Not much on google regarding the subject.

My intent is to capture how it looks on the ground, not directly point at the sun itself. Maybe even have it aimed at myself and my family in our camping chairs enjoying the experience.

Any tips on settings? Just run it in auto and let er rip?

This will be with a Mavic 2 Pro.

Thanks
I did this using a time-lapse with an Air 3.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1