DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was arrested for flying a drone *updated with video*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still Not enforceable. This new ordinance is clearly unlawful.

The state of Michigan prohibits local units of government from enacting or enforcing drone regulations.

Mcl 259.305

“(1) Except as expressly authorized by statute, a political subdivision shall not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution that regulates the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft or otherwise engage in the regulation of the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft.”

Which will make the next chapter of this saga pretty interesting.

Here’s my prediction:

The park rescinds this new unenforceable ordinance, and retrains their officers on how to properly ignore drone pilots.

That would invalidate their drone prohibition, unless the commission is or becomes expressly authorized by statute to make such prohibitions in their parks.

Last edited:
Although the second cop seemed to be a bit of a ****, it seemed you too had a chip on your shoulder (which I can appreciate as I am angered when questioned about my drone as well). You probably could have been slightly more compliant. Don't act like a know it all just because you're right, cops hate that! Some a hole made a complaint and the police needed to check it out. Be a good ambassador for drones and keep your cool and be polite anytime you're questioned.
I was flying over a park when park police questioned me once. I thought I was outside the park but I wasn't. I was in the wrong even if only by ignorance of the park boundary. I did the usual yes sir no sir and apologized. The policeman was even cool enough to patiently wait for me to land (I was having difficulty with signal and wind). Once I landed he radioed his commander who left it up to the policeman how to handle things. He let me go with all my stuff with a verbal warning. I'd rather eat a little crow than lose my equipment

I flew in Michigan over the holidays (St Clair River area) but first I called the local police department and Border Patrol to make sure they didn’t have any objections and the police were informative and polite. The law was to just follow the FAA regs and don’t fly across to Canada unless I was in compliance with their regs as well. I took the names of law enforcement I contacted just in case I was questioned. Their were a couple of folks on the boardwalk that showed interest and I politely showed them what I was doing and shared my screen with them so they could understand better what I was seeing. I did not have a single negative instance with this approach. Be a good Ambassador for the hobby and at least you will earn some respect from those you encounter and may even get the chance to educate those who know little about the hobby.

I flew in Michigan over the holidays (St Clair River area) but first I called the local police department and Border Patrol to make sure they didn’t have any objections and the police were informative and polite. The law was to just follow the FAA regs and don’t fly across to Canada unless I was in compliance with their regs as well. I took the names of law enforcement I contacted just in case I was questioned. Their were a couple of folks on the boardwalk that showed interest and I politely showed them what I was doing and shared my screen with them so they could understand better what I was seeing. I did not have a single negative instance with this approach. Be a good Ambassador for the hobby and at least you will earn some respect from those you encounter and may even get the chance to educate those who know little about the hobby.

Well said.. it pays to show respect and not look to make a youtube video of your police encounter.

Odd right, you were respectful and were shown respect.. OP was a know it all and smart *** and was treated as deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DynoTech and BruMay
In this case the OP did know it all, as did his lawyer. And police arean't allowed to arrest you based on whether they like your attitude.

Please show me the citation that shows he was arrested for an attitude?

Yet another exaggeration. Sometimes your snarky attitude will get u a citation or an arrest thats warranted whereas a warning probably would have happened had u not been a dbag.

And “was deserved” was meant to be said. Dont be a smart *** and u will be treated just fine. Works..

Would say you have just aggravated the system that are supposed to Drones.
You definitely haven't helped the Drone community what so ever just shed more bad light on the Topic of should Drones be registered restricted or just banned.
You aggrivated the Police by asking whether you were considered a plane.
That smartarse comment would have had you arrested just for being an **** Droner ... so thanks for putting Droners in a category of Smart **** **
Drone Incidents continue almost on a weekly basis Gatwick being the most recent Global Media fiasco the reputation of Droners is Bad **

I don't know how the moderator missed this one when he was cleaning up!

"You definitely haven't helped the Drone community what so ever just shed more bad light on the Topic of should Drones be registered restricted or just banned."

Wrong - the OP definitely did help the drone community.

"You aggrivated the Police by asking whether you were considered a plane.
That smart**** comment would have had you arrested just for being an **** Droner ... so thanks for putting Droners in a category of Smart **** **"

Wrong - the police officer was totally 100% at fault - the majority of cops (who are good cops) would not arrest anyone simply for a "smart****" comment.

"Drone Incidents continue almost on a weekly basis Gatwick being the most recent Global Media fiasco the reputation of Droners is Bad "

Don't know why you mentioned this - it's 100% not relevant in the context of this thread. This incident was a "police doing wrong" incident - not a Drone incident and the public will be made aware of that if it ever gets to the mainstream press.

Please show me the citation that shows he was arrested for an attitude?

Yet another exaggeration. Sometimes your snarky attitude will get u a citation or an arrest thats warranted whereas a warning probably would have happened had u not been a dbag.

And “was deserved” was meant to be said. Dont be a smart *** and u will be treated just fine. Works..

Given a warning for what? Being a law abiding citizen?

“You there! Stop obeying the law! Or I’ll put you in handcuffs and toss you in a police car because I don’t like your hobby”

That’s not how the system works. That’s not acceptable behavior. You don’t get to put your hands on someone just because they look at you funny or make a snide remark, even if you have a gun and a badge . All officers know this and almost all abide by these rules. This is police academy 101. No reasonable suspicion = no detainment.

At no point did this officer have reasonable suspicion to believe I was in a hot air balloon, in an airplane, or in a parachute.

Given a warning for what? Being a law abiding citizen?

“You there! Stop obeying the law! Or I’ll put you in handcuffs and toss you in a police car because I don’t like your hobby”

That’s not how the system works. That’s not acceptable behavior. You don’t get to put your hands on someone just because they look at you funny or make a snide remark, even if you have a gun and a badge . All officers know this and almost all abide by these rules. This is police academy 101. No reasonable suspicion = no detainment.

At no point did this officer have reasonable suspicion to believe I was in a hot air balloon, in an airplane, or in a parachute.

God ur drama.. AT NO TIME DID I SAY THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED... ITS AN OVERALL DECISION ON WHAT CAN AND CANT HAPPEN SHOULD U CONTINUE TO TO PLAY MR SMART *** WHILE TALKING TO POLICE.

Point being.. as said above but since ur having trouble understanding without ur attorney present...

Lets say u commit a Violation yet u have a great attidude.. there is a chance it will just be a warning..

Lets say u commit a violation and your a smart ***.. there is a strong chance you WILL NOT get a warning..

Understand??????

I can see once again tho why you acted the way u did.. im over ur drama cry fest.

Last edited:
God ur drama.. AT NO TIME DID I SAY THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED... ITS AN OVERALL DECISION ON WHAT CAN AND CANT HAPPEN SHOULD U CONTINUE TO TO PLAY MR SMART *** WHILE TALKING TO POLICE.

Point being.. as said above but since ur having trouble understanding without ur attorney present...

Lets say u commit a Violation yet u have a great attidude.. there is a chance it will just be a warning..

Lets say u commit a violation and your a smart ***.. there is a strong chance you WILL NOT get a warning..

Understand??????

I can see once again tho why you acted the way u did.. im over ur drama cry fest.

Good. Ciao

Reactions: deleted member 877
Next time use a drone vest to identify you. Police will get intimidated when they see it. It works very well and people respect when you are flying
4a2f1349df5c22ff79e11d1cf5b09214.jpg
Lol! I'd rather go to jail. Haha

OP, If I may ask, what app did you use on your Watch to record the audio?

Well said.. it pays to show respect and not look to make a youtube video of your police encounter.

Odd right, you were respectful and were shown respect.. OP was a know it all and smart *** and was treated as deserved.

Oh, he was not that bad of a smart***! The cop was a jerk & for a Ranger he was really an ***hole...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those MF'ers! Totally uncalled for! The police acted as if you provoked them which in and of itself is not against the law. What is against the law is if they are actively investigating a crime and you impede them in some way. You did not as there was no crime committed and you asked a standard question (snarky or not) they are public servants. Who was served in this instance?

The fact that the prosecutor did not pursue the charges clearly means that you personally broke no laws! Go before a judge and say your sorry? Sorry for what ? Enjoying yourself without doing harm.

These encounters can get out of hand if you had been a hot-heat and resisted them in any way. They were just waiting for that so they could pin "resisting arrest" on you.

This is such an over reach of authority! I would ask for a formal apology from the officers involved and push for proper training of thier rent-a-cops uh ,ehem , cough I mean police personnel with regards to currently enacted UAV laws and regulations.

I would be flying in that park regularly after this incident. This type of handling can really leave someone with a bit of drone flying PTSD.
While I'm not conversant with your local drone laws I do work side by side police from around the world and in many jurisdictions if you are charged with resist/obstruct arrest type offences and the primary charge is not proved then any charges arising from the arrest are also thrown out. Also, maybe ask your lawyer if your case amounts to: False arrest, assault, deprivation of liberty or malicious prosecution, and if there's a civil case against them for the stress & embarrassment caused to you. Depends on how difficult the process is but worth asking the question. Good luck!

Although the second cop seemed to be a bit of a ****, it seemed you too had a chip on your shoulder (which I can appreciate as I am angered when questioned about my drone as well). You probably could have been slightly more compliant. Don't act like a know it all just because you're right, cops hate that! Some a hole made a complaint and the police needed to check it out. Be a good ambassador for drones and keep your cool and be polite anytime you're questioned.
I was flying over a park when park police questioned me once. I thought I was outside the park but I wasn't. I was in the wrong even if only by ignorance of the park boundary. I did the usual yes sir no sir and apologized. The policeman was even cool enough to patiently wait for me to land (I was having difficulty with signal and wind). Once I landed he radioed his commander who left it up to the policeman how to handle things. He let me go with all my stuff with a verbal warning. I'd rather eat a little crow than lose my equipment

If they arrested every person with a chip on thier shoulder or when profanity was used towards them then they would have to build jails the size of large cities!

He was not given the opportunity to be subservient and eat crow as he was concerned with the false claim that what he was doing was illegal.

While I'm not conversant with your local drone laws I do work side by side police from around the world and in many jurisdictions if you are charged with resist/obstruct arrest type offences and the primary charge is not proved then any charges arising from the arrest are also thrown out. Also, maybe ask your lawyer if your case amounts to: False arrest, assault, deprivation of liberty or malicious prosecution, and if there's a civil case against them for the stress & embarrassment caused to you. Depends on how difficult the process is but worth asking the question. Good luck!

Lmao.. oh my, dont forget rape.. thats equally as fitting.

Lapeer20M,

Thank you and congratulations for standing up for your rights and, in the process, for the rights of all drone pilots. From your posts it is clear that you are an intelligent and articulate individual. Courageous too. We need more drone enthusiasts like you.

Without quoting any specific response, I also noticed that a number of comments in this thread come from people that are apparently dumber than a bag of hammers. These are the people we need fewer of in the drone community.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_