DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If connection lost - will drone fly past limits set in DJI Go 4?

Reactions
I was talking to the air traffic control tower this afternoon as I was notifying them about my practice session location.

I told the control tower that as far as I know, if I lost control of the drone, it will not fly higher than the 130-foot limit I sent to the drone when I set up the session. Same for the distance, I would think.

Am I correct? When you set the altitude limit it is set in the drone - not just on the controller. A disconnected drone is still running its software and will not exceed its limits?

Where can we find and verify how it all works? I am sure people here have opinions. Does anyone know for sure what happens if the drone becomes "autonomous"?

A disconnected drone is still running its software and will not exceed its limits?
Using the default settings, a drone that disconnects from the remote controller will start returning to the home point or auto land at its current location after 3 seconds. While it's more of an edge case, that would not prevent it from being blown away in a strong wind.

That sounds reasonable. If the drone can no longer get an acknowledgement from the controller it switches to Return to Home. And unless the head wind is greater than about 30 miles per hour it should be able to fight it's way back with the battery power that is left.

Correct - all settings are set and stored within the Mavic. And all distance limits are relative to its home point. In a perfect world, it will not exceed these limits, even when flying autonomously.

interesting, can we set RTH altitude to be higher than Max Altitude?
Of course this would not be practical settings, just wondering

Reactions: Anthonyk
I was talking to the air traffic control tower this afternoon as I was notifying them about my practice session location.

I told the control tower that as far as I know, if I lost control of the drone, it will not fly higher than the 130-foot limit I sent to the drone when I set up the session. Same for the distance, I would think.

Am I correct? When you set the altitude limit it is set in the drone - not just on the controller. A disconnected drone is still running its software and will not exceed its limits?

Where can we find and verify how it all works? I am sure people here have opinions. Does anyone know for sure what happens if the drone becomes "autonomous"?

Others state that the settings are in the drone. I don't "know" that to be true, but it definitely makes sense as the right way to do it.

If you "lose control" that either means "you" lose control (you have a data link but no idea where the damned thing is...) or the radio link is broken.

In the prior case the easy bail is to RTH. Make sure your drone is correctly setup for RTH in your area before you leave the ground (checklist below).

In the broken link case it will RTH by itself after 10 s of lost radio link.

Because of the brouhahaha that breaks out here each time there is a "Mavic Down" report, I tend to reference the checklist below as MO of the correct way to setup the drone to reduce flyaway losses.

Reactions: MinneapolisFlyGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078