DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm buying the Pro because I can use it to zoom too

It can be turned round as you like but you cannot compare a digital zoom while filming or in post production with an optical zoom. Digital zoom is simply "flat". An optical zoom gives depth to the picture and brings the background closer to the object on which you have zommed in.

Last edited:
It can be turned round as you like but you cannot compare a digital zoom while filming or in post production with an optical zoom. Digital zoom is simply "flat". An optical zoom gives depth to the picture and brings the background closer to the object on which you have zommed in.

As a photographer this statement is not true. Perspective is camera to subject to background distance. If both drones sitting same spot then a digital crop vs optical zoom will yield the same perspective. Sorry.

Reactions: 0Kajuna0
And obviously this "zoom" is worthless for stills. You may as well just crop the image in post to achieve the same result.

The zoom won't handle the same low noise so on all fronts the pro is the choice for IQ. Not to say the zoom is not bad... I bet anything it performs better than the MP1. I find the video quality of the MA to be really good.

Finally I'm not crazy about the reports that the MP2 is louder than the MPP (update: some people saying it's louder but sounds softer so not as annoying).

It's reported to be slightly louder and less pleasant, actually.

its 20% heavier with a longer endurance so thats to be expected. You can make them quieter but ultimately by sacrificing performance.

On all accounts if the MPP is the quietest option then that should be your best choice. It's not like it's a bad device. Should be had for a price that is half the new Pro 2

As a photographer this statement is not true. Perspective is camera to subject to background distance. If both drones sitting same spot then a digital crop vs optical zoom will yield the same perspective. Sorry.

Sorry Talley, but English is not my mother tongue
What i am trying to say (digital is not the same as optical zoom is explained precisely in that video (in English)

This is false, as is demonstrated with dolly zoom. It's surprising how often people will exclaim that cropping is the same as changing focal length. Simply go to youtube and search "dolly zoom".

Reactions: AcesHigh
Opposite, it's better becasue it's NOT scaling but rather taking a 1:1 sensor crop.

With good software downsampling should be as good as using the pixels 1:1. I would be surprised if there is a significant difference in these two modes.

Both images types are constructed by a demosaicing algorithm from the original bayer filter output. It's not like there is full color information per pixel off the sensor.

This is false, as is demonstrated with dolly zoom. It's surprising how often people will exclaim that cropping is the same as changing focal length. Simply go to youtube and search "dolly zoom".

That is because the camera aka drone is moving during the dolly zoom. With a stationary camera there is no difference in perspective between zooming and cropping. Talley is actually correct.

Here is a great explanation zoom vs crop and perspective.
Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance? (a tutorial)

Can you crop this image from a telephoto shot? (ignoring the foreground OOF)

Goat-Kiss.jpg

I tend to agree with the OP's logic as I try to decide which M2 to buy. I'm a professional photographer also and I think that in the end, having 20MP and aperture is going to outweigh zooming. However, there is one feature that the Mavic2 Zoom has that sounds amazing and that is the "Super Resolution Photos." You can get a stitched photo that is 48-megapixels. That one thing now has me 2nd guessing my choice for the Hasselblad lens. So, now here I am unable to decide again...lol...

Has anyone seen a "Super Resolution Photo" yet? I can't seem to find one to download and examine.

Edit: I did find a few images to examine. In fact, I found the two on the French site and put the 12mp and 20 mp side by side as a comparison. As expected, the 48mp feature can provide an image with amazing resolution. Just scale that attached image to 200 or 300% in Photoshop and view the difference. Again, this does not make my decision as to which Mavic 2 to buy any easier. I wish the Hasselblad could do Super Resolution and the decision would be made for me.

Edit 2: I just keep looking at the possibilities of the Super Resolution image. Here is another comparison from the same two French shots. You can almost read the label on the tag of the jeans pocket and you can actually see the zipper of the jacket pocket. Needless to say, Super Resolution is a great feature.

Attachments

• 12mp-vs-48mp.jpg
    12mp-vs-48mp.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 12mp-vs-48mp_02.jpg
    12mp-vs-48mp_02.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
The in camera agile adjustment to FOV can be handy with the M2Z, but to get it for Dolly Zoom is not needed. This explains it well and how to quickly do it on any Drone.

Reactions: PilotNumber1
Can you crop this image from a telephoto shot? (ignoring the foreground OOF)

Goat-Kiss.jpg
You are mistaking perspective with field of view (please do some research on this).

Yes, cropping this image to 1/4 of its original dimension will provide exactly the same field of view as zooming in by 2x.

Reactions: 0Kajuna0

Thanks.

I keep seeing these comments about how an optical zoom compresses the background and a digital one does not.

There are advantages of optical zooms, but that's not one of them.

Also, Dolly Zoom is a change in distance (perspective) plus zoom (any kind of zoom).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom