DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm Pissed off, but do I have a right to be?

I'm pissed because I see the Mavic Air introduction as classic market manipulation by DJI, and they're pointing the manipulation straight at Mavic owners. Again, this is all my humble opinion, but DJI intentionally made the Air so close in specs and features to the Mavic Pro so Mavic Pro owners will sell their Mavics and purchase the new Air. And if someone is in the market for a new drone, the Air is the logical choice. So DJI captures both the current Mavic Pro owner market AND the new buyer market.

Then, once everyone jumps ship to the Air, I'm sure DJI will strategically introduce the Mavic Pro II or Mavic Air Pro (or whatever they decide to call it) so folks who have a six-month old Air will be tempted to buy the Mavic Pro II.

I realize DJI is in business to make money and all that blah, blah blah. But I feel like DJI has just kicked me and other Mavic Pro owners in the balls (or crotch).

Please understand these are my simple thoughts and observations. Please don't hate on me!

Your thoughts.
WHY would anyone consider even getting the AIR if they already own a Mavic is my question? The thing may have a couple of features that the Mavic does not, but it is a lesser bird for sure! It's a KITE. Way too light for me to feel confident flying at a decent altitude where it's typically windy. The Mavic has some mass and self respecting weight to it. Also, my personal opinion is that the recordings from the Mavic is sharper and has better resolution. Better flight times. Mavic is radio controlled, not beginners WI FI. AIR has hand gesture capabilities. Of no use to me. Maybe a fun feature to show your friends but then the wow stops after a few minutes. But it's new and so people think they have to have it and it must be better. Not so.

Reactions: lenzwizard
It's actually not quite so simple. The key thing here is lack of OcuSync. It makes a MASSIVE difference (versus the Spark, in my experience). I think the Mavic Air is a great drone. But it's not quite the Mavic Pro. It's definitely a niggling desire to want one, but yes - you can bet there will be a newer, fancier drone before too long to replace the Mavic Pro.

That's just the way it is. It's very much like Apple. They have different devices that have pros and cons (especially in the laptop world). I mean, for the most part I don't NEED a powerhouse MacBook Pro. I could do just as well on a 12" MacBook which is so light and portable. But the MacBook Pro has the cool TouchBar! And it has lots of USB Type-C ports! But the 12" MacBook has so much portability and great battery life! So then you want both. Poop!

The Mavic Air isn't better or worse than the Mavic Pro. It's certainly different, and there are things that will appeal to people about both.

Fundamentally, the Mavic Pro absolutely - UNQUESTIONABLY - will have better range and solidity of video transfer due to OcuSync. If you live in a city and do some fly-arounds, this will likely be the defining factor. It's not even about 4.3 miles vs 2.5 miles. It's about Wi-Fi flat out is not as good as OcuSync. Wi-Fi can be frustrating even 50 feet away.

If you travel into the great unknown, with little-to-no buildings/interference around, then the Air would do just fine for you.

That said, I still want an Air because I have this nasty tech obsession. But if I'm at home and wanting to fly around, I'm going to always pick the Mavic. It's got better battery life, and it uses an actual radio versus Wi-Fi.

If the Air had OcuSync, I'd be struggling to find (for me) any MAJOR reason to keep the Mavic Pro.

I have to agree with you, I thought about pulling the trigger and purchasing the Mavic Air Bundle, but after thinking about the flight time, and the flight range, I've decided to wait this one out and see if a Mavic Air II will eventually show up. The Mavic Air in my opinion is a good replacement to the Spark, But, I can't see it replacing the Mavic Pro, I normally fly over the San Pablo Bay in Hercules, CA, using my Phantom 4, and Mavic Pro, I've taken the Phantom 4 as far out as 15K feet with the use of the CrystalSky Monitor Ultra (having a good Monitor tends to make you be a little more daring as far as distance), and I'm sure I can get the Mavic out even further. With that said, there is no reason that the Mavic Air should be limited to only 2 miles, or not be equipped with OccuSync. I'm hoping that with the release of the Phantom 5, that the the next Mavic Air will have the updates, which will in my opinion will make it the ultimate travel Drone

Hey ya'll, wifi is a radio signal. Why is everyone saying wifi vs radio. Its ocusync vs wifi. Just an FYI.

Reactions: Fuboy
I'm pissed because I see the Mavic Air introduction as classic market manipulation by DJI, and they're pointing the manipulation straight at Mavic owners. Again, this is all my humble opinion, but DJI intentionally made the Air so close in specs and features to the Mavic Pro so Mavic Pro owners will sell their Mavics and purchase the new Air. And if someone is in the market for a new drone, the Air is the logical choice. So DJI captures both the current Mavic Pro owner market AND the new buyer market.

Then, once everyone jumps ship to the Air, I'm sure DJI will strategically introduce the Mavic Pro II or Mavic Air Pro (or whatever they decide to call it) so folks who have a six-month old Air will be tempted to buy the Mavic Pro II.

I realize DJI is in business to make money and all that blah, blah blah. But I feel like DJI has just kicked me and other Mavic Pro owners in the balls (or crotch).

Please understand these are my simple thoughts and observations. Please don't hate on me!

Your thoughts.
I think you are reading too much into it.
When ever you buy a new electronic device,whatever it is,it is already out of date.

I use the Osmo which uses WiFi and the gimble is a half-inch from the phone and it still cuts out. Stick with the OccuSync.

My concern with how rapid fire the industry is going would be their tendency to stop supporting older products. The Mavic Pro has appeared in liquidation houses like Costco & Sam's Club after only one year in production. Which often means they are already out of production.

I've spent all that I need to spend on the ability to take quality aerial images and I would indeed be pissed if DJI did to the MP, what they did to the NAZA, simply stop making any more and no longer supporting them in terms of spare parts or upgrades. I built no fewer than five DJI multi-rotors for various purposes only to have the MP render them all obsolete. Multiple expletives!

Your thoughts.
i,m sticking to my mavic pro simply because I love it and it still has a longer flight time. Some of us like the latest and greatest but i,m not one of them. looking forward to a more advanced mavic pro

DJI intentionally made the Air so close in specs and features to the Mavic Pro so Mavic Pro owners will sell their Mavics and purchase the new Air.

I disagree with your entire premise. If the specs and features are so close to the Mavic why would anyone sell the Pro for the Air? There's no advantage.

And if someone is in the market for a new drone, the Air is the logical choice.

Again I disagree. The Air has significantly shorter flight time and an inferior radio system. There are clear differences between the models.

After only owning it for 3 months I am relieved and pleased I still prefer my Mavic Pro Platinum, not having to try to sell it and get something new. I really like it. I may get a Tello, though, for those rainy or cold days inside. The ultimate drone that will quickly get me back shopping again will have what the Mavic has plus a controller with a nice built in screen, truly ready to fly in seconds.

It's actually not quite so simple. The key thing here is lack of OcuSync. It makes a MASSIVE difference (versus the Spark, in my experience). I think the Mavic Air is a great drone. But it's not quite the Mavic Pro. It's definitely a niggling desire to want one, but yes - you can bet there will be a newer, fancier drone before too long to replace the Mavic Pro.

That's just the way it is. It's very much like Apple. They have different devices that have pros and cons (especially in the laptop world). I mean, for the most part I don't NEED a powerhouse MacBook Pro. I could do just as well on a 12" MacBook which is so light and portable. But the MacBook Pro has the cool TouchBar! And it has lots of USB Type-C ports! But the 12" MacBook has so much portability and great battery life! So then you want both. Poop!

The Mavic Air isn't better or worse than the Mavic Pro. It's certainly different, and there are things that will appeal to people about both.

Fundamentally, the Mavic Pro absolutely - UNQUESTIONABLY - will have better range and solidity of video transfer due to OcuSync. If you live in a city and do some fly-arounds, this will likely be the defining factor. It's not even about 4.3 miles vs 2.5 miles. It's about Wi-Fi flat out is not as good as OcuSync. Wi-Fi can be frustrating even 50 feet away.

If you travel into the great unknown, with little-to-no buildings/interference around, then the Air would do just fine for you.

That said, I still want an Air because I have this nasty tech obsession. But if I'm at home and wanting to fly around, I'm going to always pick the Mavic. It's got better battery life, and it uses an actual radio versus Wi-Fi.

If the Air had OcuSync, I'd be struggling to find (for me) any MAJOR reason to keep the Mavic Pro.

One thousand percent agree with the Ocusync explanation you give. I purchased the mavic moments after it was announced and foolishly sold it when the spark hit the market. My spark would glitch and lose connection every flight. I have only flown the spark four flights because on the last one it hung up and flew into my 1/2 month old. My Son was not seriously hurt but I was upset that the connection to the controller was so poor. My mistake was selling the mavic for the newest craft. When you purchase a mavic Pro you are really buying the most comprehensive connection between you and the craft on the market. That connection is called Ocusync or light bridge. So, there will always be a newer, smaller, lighter craft with more and more features. But will you have a secure connection to it? That is really all that matters once it takes flight.

Well, I am getting because I am collecting them all. Love my Mavic, Spark is fun and my Inspire is a pain to set but fun. The Air is between Spark and the Mavic.
Just got email, it's on it's way...
Your Air is on its way?? Yea!!! Now maybe we'll start seeing some reviews by the new Air owners, objective, unbiased. Hope you really like it and enjoy it.

FACT.!
In less then one year the Mavic Pro Price has dropped by Half ($799 costco)
Yes I paid double that ...well some one close to me did and gave to me as a gift
Within two yrs MP will be absolete/outdated.!
......Ha,haha,
...................Still don't care
..........................................Real men fly Mavic Pro 1.0
. and yes sometimes we crash.!
Still not going to cry about it.... going to do what real men do
Strap on my big girl pantis
and go out side and Fly my Mavic Pro.!
Might even fly over Water
..........Provided My battery's are charged
................and I get a signal (PM)
....and not in a NFZ
and DJI hasn't put new restriction on my software....I'm doing it......cR

Reactions: floyd
For any Mavic Pro owner, there is no reason to be "pissed" by a Mavic Air. The only "real" advantage the Air has are some flight modes, hand gestures and a new 4k image processor.

I'm sure not many Pro owners care about the first two. They are just fun gimmicks. Now the new 4k image processing and wider lens? OK...I can see how that one stings a bit.

But hey, DJI was not going to keep buying that old Ambarella image processor forever....right? It only makes sense that they move on to another newer 4k processor. There was no way they could keep using that chip. NOBODY is buying that thing anymore for their products. Nobody (serious manufacturer) is even doing 60mbp/s 4k today.

This is just the normal flow of technology improvements. You cant fight it. You cant beat it. You can never stay ahead if it.....ever.

I'm very curious to find out what processor chip DJI is buying for the Air now. (image processor, not image sensor...we know that is a Sony) Is DJI now buying Intel or Sony processors or are they just buying Ambarella's latest?

CT

Last edited:
You mean ALL the reviewers, right? These are all people that DJI KNOWS will give positive reviews to the Air. That's why they got them first! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they genuinely like the Air. But you need to take these reviews with a hefty grain of salt until "real" people get them.

I'm sure it's a great drone. But nobody has had enough time with it in real-world scenarios to make any full determination.

Again, the fly in the ointment is going to be Wi-Fi, I guarantee it.

Same here without Lightbridge or OcuSync I've decided to wait for the Mavic Pro 2. All my other UAVs ( P3P, P4, Inspire I and Mavic Pro Platinum have this technology and are AWESOME! The WiFi is okay if you want to fly close by, plus the noise being almost 98 Db is loud. My Inspire I believe is around 80 Db which is stupid loud. No doubt the Mavic Air is packed full of technology and a great UAV but if it had LightBridge or OcuSync I would have not canceled my order, maybe time will tell us how it works out!

About OcuSync, Lightbridge and the new Wifi today....

Will not have my Air until Wednesday but from what I'm seeing from people is that this Air WiFi is very different than the Spark WiFi. The Spark used relatively low antenna power. DJI has REALLY tweaked the Air WiFi and they have DOUBLED the transmission power and supposedly put some sophisticated high gain antennas into those landing gears. People that fly the Air seem to be extremely impressed with what that Air is doing with it's WiFi.

I suspect that DJI really took WiFi very seriously on this Air. This is not the normal Spark or even computer WiFi that we are all used to. This looks like something greatly improved as everybody is saying they are getting unusually fantastic range and video transmission clarity.

I dunno....we all might need to hold judgement as to how bad we think it's WiFi is until more of us have seen it in action.

Agreed! I bought my Mavic Pro Alpine Edition when it first came out. It is a powerful and intuitive package. I have enjoyed it. The Mavic Air seems like a great drone. However, it's not enough of a change to make me part ways with my Mavic.
The Air is a step down from your Mavic Pro, by about 2 miles and 7 minutes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki