DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iMac

Anyone recommend the iMac computer for video and photo editing?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
110%. One of the latest versions possibly. Mine sports 32Gb RAM, and an additional 512Gb SSD. Mac OsSierra and application sw is installed on the SSD, and the other HD for storage, so that everything, including video editing is fast and smooth. The Adobe app suite is my choice (Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop...) but you can use the Mac included sw, which is perfect for almost everything.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Tyler Draper
I bought an Imac early last year. Only running 8gig of ram, 3.2mhz i5 processor and it works great. No issues at all.

Adding recently a 500GB ssd to my imac changed my life! < 3 seconds to have Final cut pro up & running!
I installed MacOs and all the apps onto the SSD.

I have a 5K iMac with 32 gigs of ram, and i7. I also have the new Mac Book Pro to use when I am on the move with my Mavic. You can't go wrong. Just make sure you have as much ram as you can afford and get.

Buy the fastest and largest built-in SSD storage you can afford and the smallest amount of RAM available on that model. Then upgrade the RAM in the aftermarket (Crucial.com makes it easy but there are cheaper sources if you know the part numbers you need). Apple RAM has an outrageous premium.

Reactions: Wingo
Definitely watching this thread! I've been looking to upgrade my 2012 15" MBPr, or at least add a powerful desktop version for video/photo editing (no gaming). I thought I read somewhere that the iMac is due for a new release. Is this true?

I've had my iMac 27" for three years. Final Cut and Aperture were the reasons to buy it. It died on me just before Christmas - Macs look good and work great, but not for long. Problems with heat are the price for good looks. GPUs die on them. They just don't last. There has been several service campaigns for replacement if yours died a bit too early, but don't expect an iMac work much longer than the warranty period if you will use it for GPU hungry applications like NLE. I've installed 'macs fan control' after (costly) repair to force coolers start earlier than Apple decided hoping that it will help it last longer.

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

I do, I combination of my iMac and MacBook Pro. Both are absolutely perfect for editing with no glitches or problems at all. Both are 2012 as well

iMAC 27" i7 5 years old, Santa brought me a brand new 5K 4.2Ghz 32GB 27: i7 with a 3TB fusion drive (512GB SSD). So much faster than my med 2011 iMAC. Use FCPX for editing. If you want a super fast free 4K video player get the 5Kplayer app for free, works great and there is no loading delay like VLC.

Mac all the way. I'm on my second iMac and I couldn't be happier with it. It's definitely worth the investment. I had no issues with my original iMac after 5 years I just wanted that 5k display.

Macs look good and work great, but not for long.

I respectfully disagree. I have a 4 year old iMac (late 2012 model, purchased Jan 2013), push the graphics often via gaming, and it's still running great. Yes, some iMacs die. Some PCs die. Some iPhones die and some Android phones die. They aren't programmed to blow up just after warranty.

Most of my Mac laptops in the past I've used for at least 3 years, at which time they were still running great, and then I hand them down to one of my kids who then abused them for another 2-3 years after which their hinges are worn out, batteries fried, etc. 6 years of heavy use from a laptop, where the last 3+ years are heavy abuse by a teenager? That's a DEAL.

Reactions: leesmavic
I respectfully disagree. I have a 4 year old iMac (late 2012 model, purchased Jan 2013), push the graphics often via gaming, and it's still running great. Yes, some iMacs die. Some PCs die. Some iPhones die and some Android phones die. They aren't programmed to blow up just after warranty.

Most of my Mac laptops in the past I've used for at least 3 years, at which time they were still running great, and then I hand them down to one of my kids who then abused them for another 2-3 years after which their hinges are worn out, batteries fried, etc. 6 years of heavy use from a laptop, where the last 3+ years are heavy abuse by a teenager? That's a DEAL.

Totally agree. I guess one bad apple spoils the bunch though.

Laptops are great, no comments here. iMacs have an issue with heat, that is confirmed by Apple by several replacement programs. Even Mac Pro has the same issue. They've put video RAM chips around GPU on two or three sides, those heat up and over time GPU is breaking from uneven heating. Sometimes not the GPU itself rather the wielding that holds it in place. Anyways, I'm just warning to make you cautious and do a little research. People earn money differently and a $2K investment might be expected to last for 5-6 years.

Reactions: ATXdrone
Laptops are great, no comments here. iMacs have an issue with heat, that is confirmed by Apple by several replacement programs. Even Mac Pro has the same issue. They've put video RAM chips around GPU on two or three sides, those heat up and over time GPU is breaking from uneven heating. Sometimes not the GPU itself rather the wielding that holds it in place. Anyways, I'm just warning to make you cautious and do a little research. People earn money differently and a $2K investment might be expected to last for 5-6 years.

Pretty sure you are referring to this episode in iMac history iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program

Refund or replacement? Sounds like great customer support and the only problem is you are down for a while.

The new slim iMac is not known to have generic overheating problems. It DOES go into fan overdrive if you are pushing all the cores and yet many people do that for gaming, video editing, and other intensive apps. The fact that you had a failure or that I did not is not statistically relevant. The fact that there are not well documented extensive failures with models IS relevant. And Apple has corrected the known issues with the models that had issues.

I had a MacBook Pro that had GPU issues and had it replaced under an extended warranty. Good support.

Reactions: SNew76
Definitely watching this thread! I've been looking to upgrade my 2012 15" MBPr, or at least add a powerful desktop version for video/photo editing (no gaming). I thought I read somewhere that the iMac is due for a new release. Is this true?

When was the last time you could actually upgrade the RAM on any Macbook or iMac, unless you're saying get out your soldering iron. I buy the max you can get.

When was the last time you could actually upgrade the RAM on any Macbook or iMac, unless you're saying get out your soldering iron. I buy the max you can get.
The newer laptops are not upgradable and that's screwed up. The iMacs still have slots and are easy to open up for RAM (but not anything else).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78