DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU and Compass calibration

Strafe1

Reactions
I had a bumpy landing recently that chipped a few propellers (forgot I turned off downward VPS for hand catch). In order to keep the bird trouble free, I was thinking of doing an IMU calibration, since many have indicated it is wise after a hard bump or a firmware upgrade. My question is, do I then do a Compass calibration? Or compass first? I have searched the threads but can't seem to find an answer. I do know HOW to perform the calibrations per the DJI videos.

You do not need to perform a compass calibration after calibrating the IMU. If you're going to do both, the order does not matter.

Reactions: Strafe1
Well this is odd.....
When everything is turned on and in position to start IMU cal (Mav folded up), I get a Mag interference warning, and it tells me to calibrate compass. FYI, I calibrated my compass in properly in an open field an hour ago. Then, when I open up the Mavic arms, the warning goes away. Fold it up, message reappears. This happens no matter if i am inside or outside in the open. I am reluctant to calibrate IMU with these warnings. Or will it be OK to continue? I am using new, updated DJI GO4 app for iOS.

Well this is odd.....
When everything is turned on and in position to start IMU cal (Mav folded up), I get a Mag interference warning, and it tells me to calibrate compass. FYI, I calibrated my compass in properly in an open field an hour ago. Then, when I open up the Mavic arms, the warning goes away. Fold it up, message reappears. This happens no matter if i am inside or outside in the open. I am reluctant to calibrate IMU with these warnings. Or will it be OK to continue? I am using new, updated DJI GO4 app for iOS.

Ignore the compass when legs folded for any reason. It's designed to work legs extended, that's all...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The reason it's saying magnetic interference is because when you have the arms folded, the magnets in the motors are too close to the body and are causing the interference warning.

Sent from my LG-D415 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Thank you for your replies. I will calibrate IMU and ignore the mag interference warning!

I got a reply back from DJI online support telling me to send my Mavic in for repair in case more internal damage may have occurred and that is why I am getting the error message! Shouldn't they know that the mag interference is a normal reading with the arms folded? The bird flies the same as always. I just want to be sure there is no unseen, and potentially problem arising, calibration anomaly that could come up in future flights. I haven't recalibrate yet, and I don't think I want to send it back as all help on this forum has reported my interference as normal.

Strafe1, we already discussed this via PM, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone else comes across this thread. What you're describing above is normal. You don't need to send your Mavic in for repair.

So I'm having a issue with my IMU or just confused! I been traveling recently I live in Vegas, before I left I made sure my IMU was all set .02 .03 max, and flight was perfect in Vegas..... however I traveled to Hollywood and wanted to get some good footage on the beach over a cliff, I started up my drone and realized my IMU was way off like .07 .08 I did my compass calibration because I'm way over 250 plus miles away from my home. Then I turned off the mavic and back on and the IMU went down a little bit. Just wondering when I travel do I have to calibrate my IMU as well as my compass everywhere I go?

Shouldn't have to. I recently traveled 600 miles and didn't get any notice to calibrate the compass, so I didn't. I had zero compass or IMU issues that weekend, and after returning home the same.

No I didn't get a notice either, I just check my sensors as my pre flight check list, and they just seem to be off at different locations

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloⒶlerta