DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In how cold weather can you fly the mini 3?

Lots of very good advice. I have had to fly in temps down to 0 degrees F. If you follow the advice above for the drone, you will be in good shape. I typically fly an Inspire 2 under these conditions and use an iPad. The key is to keep the iUnit warm. With the iPad I start two hand warmers (such as Hot Hands, etc,), and tape them down the back center of the iPad with medical tape used to attach bandages. It is sticky but not too sticky. Do this while the iUnit is warm. In an iPad, the battery runs down the center of the unit so I tape them there. Then, I surround the iPad with the top (removed) from a small insulated beverage holder. You need to cut a couple of slots for cables. After this, I never had an iPad shut down on me. See photo:

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpeg
    IMG_2227.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Octisurfer
right now, in sweden, its been about minus 20 degrees celcius all week.
Really sunny and beautiful and i was thinking about flying the drone but im not sure it can handle the cold.

Any experience or info about this?

Was thinking it would work good but i dont want to take any chances.
1 month ago i flew in like minus 4, and the video started to freeze so i had to look on the map to be able to fly back home.
But that could very well have been the phones fault since i have experiensed problem with the iphone 6 before in cold weather.
I fly regularly all winter long (I live in Canada). I place those “hot shot” hand warmers in my pockets along with the batteries and cell phone to keep them warm. Seems to help a bit with flight time.

Like others have stated, your cell phone is the weakest link in the whole system. Keeping it warm will enable you to fly longer.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@alexjo55, something you might consider if you are doing more than occasional flying in cold weather is to pick up a used DJI RC controller (the one with the built in screen). Set-up will be much quicker and you won't likely have issues with the controller shutting down prematurely due to cold temperatures. Also, that controller is rated to operate properly down -10ºC just like the drone is.

I don't have experience using the RC controller with the Mini 3 but I do have the RC Pro controller and have used it in cold temperatures and it has behaved flawlessly.

Just a suggestion as an alternative to your iPhone 6.

Chris

A couple of points.
First, keep in mind that flying in temps outside the manufacturer's recommendations could be illegal and/or will not be covered by warranty.
Second, from a Canadian pilot who has flown his Phantom 3 Pro in minus 31C, I can tell you, typically most aircraft are fine in cold temps and will outlast the pilot's fingers in the cold.
Be sure to start with a warm, fully charged battery and be gentle on the sticks, props get brittle in very cold temps and don't like alot of stress.

I have done some testing past weeks and i can for sure say you can fly in very cold weather.

It was 15 to 25 minus celsius over about 2 weeks and i did fly at least 5 days in that temperature.
No problem what so ever with the drone itself but as usual my iphone did not like the cold.

I was about 700m away when the phone froze so i could not see live video.
Instead i just looked at the map and flied the drone to my homepoint.
It works really good navigating with the map.

I'd wager the manufacturer's specs on temps are at least somewhat related to potential icing and not just a battery issue. I've flown in near 0F weather with no noticeable issues (caveating that issues could arise if you're out for a long time).

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is air density/density altitude. Cold and dry winter air is denser so requires less power to fly in. I wonder if you could graph battery performance by temperature compared to prop/motor efficiency by temperature and find the ideal flying temp to maximize battery.

I have done some testing past weeks and i can for sure say you can fly in very cold weather.

It was 15 to 25 minus celsius over about 2 weeks and i did fly at least 5 days in that temperature.
No problem what so ever with the drone itself but as usual my iphone did not like the cold.

I was about 700m away when the phone froze so i could not see live video.
Instead i just looked at the map and flied the drone to my homepoint.
It works really good navigating with the map.
Those are some pretty cold temps - glad to hear it worked fine. I have flown in temps that cold but not with my Mini 3 Pro. Did you have any problems with the gimbal sticking when pitching up and down? Also how did you keep your hands warm? I have a transmitter mitt that I have used for my P3S but it is too big for my RC Pro which is the controller that I use to fly my Mini 3 Pro with. I am considering getting another one that is smaller and designed for the smaller controller since I do not like flying with gloves as I find that I do not have the fine control that I want and need. The transmitter mitt in combination with hand warmers usually works for me.

If you have access to a DJI RC controller, you might want to try that as it is rated to -10ºC so it might perform better in the colder temps you are flying in. Also there are more buttons so you would have to rely less on the screen especially if it started to not react to your touch which is common in cold temps.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weblloyd