DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's official - M4P can't handle the cold

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Let's forget for a moment what DJI recommends. I can't pay attention to that or I'd only fly half the year. That said, I haven't had a chance to do many winter flights with my M4Pro. Well....I could have I just use my Mav3Pro much more often. A few days ago I brought my Mini 4 Pro along and flew it a bit. I'm so used to my Mavic 3 Pro flying in extreme cold that I was paying little attention until about 12min into the flight my Mini complained with a warning on the screen. I didn't mess around. I returned immediately. It wasn't "cold" by my standards, roughly -20F but I have had this "problem" with my Avata too so now I know that I can't, and won't, fly them at those temps. A day later I got some nice images and video with my Mavic 3 Pro at -27F including a 106image 3x tele panorama that PT GUI is even choking on. Anyhoo...I'll do some flights at 0F when it warms up at some point in a month or two and see if the Mini4Pro can tolerate that.

Let's forget for a moment what DJI recommends. I can't pay attention to that or I'd only fly half the year. That said, I haven't had a chance to do many winter flights with my M4Pro. Well....I could have I just use my Mav3Pro much more often. A few days ago I brought my Mini 4 Pro along and flew it a bit. I'm so used to my Mavic 3 Pro flying in extreme cold that I was paying little attention until about 12min into the flight my Mini complained with a warning on the screen. I didn't mess around. I returned immediately. It wasn't "cold" by my standards, roughly -20F but I have had this "problem" with my Avata too so now I know that I can't, and won't, fly them at those temps. A day later I got some nice images and video with my Mavic 3 Pro at -27F including a 106image 3x tele panorama that PT GUI is even choking on. Anyhoo...I'll do some flights at 0F when it warms up at some point in a month or two and see if the Mini4Pro can tolerate that.

Any way of wrapping some kind of insulation around the body to keep battery heat in a bit?
-20F ..... flying a drone would be the last thing on my mind in those temps :D

A thought... @Phantomrain.org's product on the battery (is there a wetsuit for the M4P yet?) might keep it warm... he might be a good source of advice figuring out how to keep it warmer. Vents to block in the winter, etc.

Reactions: BigAl07
There is an Extreme waterproofing gel for drones called Worry Free.
I normally DO NOT recommend using this product on DJI drones because this coating will cause your drone to badly overheat after a few batteries. However- IF you are willing to open your drone, Painting your electronics with this would probably help retain some heat and would likely be a good thing in your case only.
Again NOTE For others considering this idea:
If you thinking of using this in place of a waterproofing suit- Don't. There are heat issues with using this if you live in a normal southern climate! This stuff is made for cinelifters that have No bodies and plenty of air circulation. If you want to waterproof your DJI drone I would Highly recommend PhantomRain.org.

1703907685943.jpeg

Last edited:

Hang on. North Pole, big white beard. That wasn't someone's present that "fell off the back of a sleigh" was it?

Well, your definition of 'cold', LOL! I find it amusing to compare what 'cold' means to people based on where they live. Moving from Seattle to TX, and as a teacher, the recess rules down south would mean no outside activity in the N.W., practically ever! As in Seattle, you live with the rain and continue on with your day. I am sure it is the same up where you live, and you do not let your 'cold' get in the way either.

It is 28 degrees here in TX, I am going to wait until later in the day when it reaches a respectable 60 to fly my Mini 4 Pro!

Interesting!! I just got used to taking my Mini 2 out at 17F. or -8 C. I got cold fingers before it did. Only about 12 minutes with battery thou.

Reactions: twickers14
A thought... @Phantomrain.org's product on the battery (is there a wetsuit for the M4P yet?) might keep it warm... he might be a good source of advice figuring out how to keep it warmer. Vents to block in the winter, etc.
I've thought of that kind of thing but I just use the MP4 for fun or if my Mav3Pro batteries are all depleted ( I have 5) and I'm charging them or something. I typically have my Mav3Pro, Mini4Pro and Avata with me so I'll just use the little guys for planned short flights on warmer (0F or above) days, although I have yet to test 0F since I tend to just grab a drone and throw it up for this or that without much thought. :)

Any way of wrapping some kind of insulation around the body to keep battery heat in a bit?
-20F ..... flying a drone would be the last thing on my mind in those temps :D
I guess something would be possible but as I mentioned in another answer, I'll just use a different drone when it gets cold and leave the MP4 for warmer, above 0 days. Humorously on my first "real" flying day, a buddy took me up the Dalton to a place where the wind blows the snow into the trees and they get heavily coated with snow and ice. It was -20F and blowing 20mph. Being new to drones I assumed we'd just turn around. We both had DJI FPV drones. No problem at all. We flew for hours, recharging as the day progressed. Since then I hardly pay attention to the cold. We've learned you can get 10min or so out of a Mavic 3 at -40F....how's that for chilly flying?

There is an Extreme waterproofing gel for drones called Worry Free.
I normally DO NOT recommend using this product on DJI drones because this coating will cause your drone to badly overheat after a few batteries. However- IF you are willing to open your drone, Painting your electronics with this would probably help retain some heat and would likely be a good thing in your case only.
Again NOTE For others considering this idea:
If you thinking of using this in place of a waterproofing suit- Don't. There are heat issues with using this if you live in a normal southern climate! This stuff is made for cinelifters that have No bodies and plenty of air circulation. If you want to waterproof your DJI drone I would Highly recommend PhantomRain.org.

View attachment 171447
I ordered a case of it to use on my feet....

Interesting!! I just got used to taking my Mini 2 out at 17F. or -8 C. I got cold fingers before it did. Only about 12 minutes with battery thou.
I have a video of my buddy testing his Mav3 at -40F. He got about 10 min or a bit more. As I was filming him I commented that his hands were probably getting cold. He had no gloves on. I had some light poly pro gloves on and my hands were getting cold....

I ordered another transmitter mitt (have one for my older Phantom 3 controller). I don't like using gloves to fly so my fingers will get cold fast on really cold days especially with a cold wind. I usually throw in a hand warmer to help keep my hands warm. For me, it's not the perfect solution but it's a heck of a lot better than using gloves and keeps the wind off my hands.

Here's what I ordered:

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 1.48.01 PM.png

Chris

You all have me very curious now. I really haven't flown my Mavic 3 or either of my mini's in very cold weather, might have had my Mavic 3 out in minus 10C. Not the mini's, yet. But having flown my Phantom 3 Pro numerous times in very cold weather, as cold as minus 31C one flight, without any issue whatsoever, I just trust these birds in cold weather. Now I'm gonna have to test my mini 4 pro (and my Mavic 3) if we ever get some winter here in Alberta, Canada. Plus 1C here right now.

I ordered another transmitter mitt (have one for my older Phantom 3 controller). I don't like using gloves to fly so my fingers will get cold fast on really cold days especially with a cold wind. I usually throw in a hand warmer to help keep my hands warm. For me, it's not the perfect solution but it's a heck of a lot better than using gloves and keeps the wind off my hands.

Here's what I ordered:

View attachment 171461

Chris
Thank you for sharing this!

Reactions: Chrislaf
You all have me very curious now. I really haven't flown my Mavic 3 or either of my mini's in very cold weather, might have had my Mavic 3 out in minus 10C. Not the mini's, yet. But having flown my Phantom 3 Pro numerous times in very cold weather, as cold as minus 31C one flight, without any issue whatsoever, I just trust these birds in cold weather. Now I'm gonna have to test my mini 4 pro (and my Mavic 3) if we ever get some winter here in Alberta, Canada. Plus 1C here right now.
I had my Mini 3 Pro in -5ºC last winter with no problems. It was a warm one last year and this year it looks like it is going to be the same. Today it's only -2ºC with a dusting of snow. We had lots more snow and colder weather in mid November. Wacky weather!!

In the past, in this area it was not uncommon to see January temps go down to near -30ºC and the ice on the area lakes would be frozen up or almost frozen by now. Last year the ice didn't freeze on our lake until near the end of January.

Chris

Reactions: 3rdof5

Here's what I ordered:

View attachment 171461

Chris
It should read "-40F"

Used to fly the Mavic Pro on a commercial job in -20F. With proper prep, was able to keep it up 20+minutes. And yes the fingers were the most critical part of the flight.

It's frightfully cold up there at the north pole, but one benefit is the friendly locals. Perhaps @akdrone can regale us with tales of some great banjo and beers with his buddies after a good flight.

🤣🤣🤣

1000015971.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_