DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor ATTI mode doesn't hover still

Just today I was on chat with DJI asking about flying inside buildings, and he said calibrate compass and IMU outside and it shouldn't drift
Yeah, well he's an idiot and shouldn't be answering the phone to help customers.

It will drift if it can sense its position in space. This will be the case if it doesn't have a GPS lock, and the downward Visual Positioning cameras can't get a good lock. The latter happens when lighting and/or surface conditions are poor for locking position.

Both of these conditions happen indoors routinely, and more often than not. So, if you plan to fly indoors, be prepared to be flying in ATTI mode. Flight characteristics and behavior in this mode is substantially different than in P-GPS or P-OPTI mode, the most dramatic being there is no braking when you move the aircraft -- it just keeps going like an air-hockey puck.

If you are NOT experience flying like this, and enclosed space with lots of objects and obstacles is the absolute worst location possible to start to learn.

To make matters worse, often you'll have spotty GPS coverage resulting in switching between P-GPS and ATTI randomly, with P-OPTI thrown in there here and there where the lighting is good enough.

I tried my Mavic also indoors and to be honest I was bit afraid but the Mavic was still just like in gps mode....

When I got my Mavic, I had no prior experience with drones. I too, thought it would be easier and safer to try it out indoors a little before taking it outside. Just a few basic move -- up and down, moving it a few feet one way and then back again, etc. Fortunately I did not have any major problems but I did crash it into the ceiling as well as various obstacles.

I could have done the same basic practice stuff outside, even in our small yard/patio area, and it would have been easier and safer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos