Infinity focus....

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Joedeertay, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Joedeertay

Joedeertay Member

This may be a dumb question because the mav pro might not even be physically capable of 'infinity'/auto-focusing, but in theory, could DJI come out with a update/firmware that would allow infinity/auto-focusing for the mavic pro?

As in, is the camera capable of auto-focusing with the right software or is it hardware limited?

Just wondering, I like the manual focusing as it allows better control of my shots, but autofucusing would also be appreciated.

Thanks!​

2. ditography

ditography Member

Since the camera itself has a tap to focus function that means the focusing lens inside is capable of moving to achieve a particular focus distance (triggered by a tap on for now), I believe it's definitely not difficult to add a software update to "tell" the focusing lens to set the focus on infinity (or close enough to infinity since it won't make much difference).

A simple "focus at infinity lock" to C1 or C2 function buttons at the back of the RC would be more than sufficient for most people.

Sent from MavicPilot iOS app

3. Zatx

Zatx New Member

It already has this. The latest firmware update sets focus automatically to infinity whenever the Mavic is powered on.

4. tomnjfl

tomnjfl Well-Known Member

Wait...really?

So do you still have to tap to focus or can you basically treat it like the P4 camera.

5. Zatx

Zatx New Member

Tap to focus is still needed if you don't want to be focused to infinity.

I recommend that you use one the customizable buttons to set focus on whatever is in the center of the screen for quick focusing. The infinity setting is weird on this lens, it's not tack sharp as you would hope.

6. DarkEnergy

DarkEnergy Member

Are you sure? The focusing is, I believe, done by analyzing the image after tapping. To setup a particular focus by default, for example infinity, would require a way to tell the lens that a particular distance from the lens to the detector corresponds to infinity.

7. Zatx

Zatx New Member

My apologies... my information may have been incorrect. Here is some information about why you would not want to set the Mavic to infinity very often:

People keep asking how to keep the Mavic focused on infinity. Actually if you focus on infinity, you most likely will get poor results from the Mavic camera. For those that understand photography, you all ready know that every lens at a given aperature has what they call a hyperfocal distance. In landscape photography, where you want as much as possible in focus, you will focus at the hyperfocal distance and then everything at some distance in front of that distance all the way to infinity will be in focus. An example of this would be on a certain 28mm lens with the aperture set to f/11, the hyperfocal distance is about 4 yds (3.7 meters). So you would focus the camera at that distance, and then everything from about 2 yds to infinity would be in focus. If you were to actually set the focus to infinity, a lot of the scene at distances getting closer to the camera would be out of focus.

I do not know what the hyperfocal distance of the Mavic camera is, (but the depth of field is rather large) but it is very safe to say that you would want to actually focus on something more in the neighborhood of 20-30 yards out and then everything from say 15 yards to infinity would be in focus. When I get my Mavic, I plan on experimenting to try and figure out what the actually hyperfocal distance is, with how small it is, and considering that it has a rather large depth of field, it will be very forgiving. But for best results, don't try to focus on infinity, set your focus on something much closer. Experiment and find out what works best.

Wing Dude likes this.
  8. DarkEnergy

DarkEnergy Member

The hyperfocal distance for Mavic is about 10m according to the camera parameters provided by DJI.
    See this discussion: Mavic Focus