Inside of the Mavic Pro

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by botasky, Oct 17, 2016.

1. botasky

botasky Well-Known Member

Seem like someone already crack open the shell. Likely to be pre-production model, should be interesting to see the different between this and the production model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kykayak

kykayak Well-Known Member

Wow, look at all those chips with thermal paste. Must be processors. Not 24, but the larger ones at least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Deckyon

Deckyon Well-Known Member

It was 24 Cores, not 24 Processors.

spazzbecker likes this.
  4. F6Rider

F6Rider Well-Known Member

Quad core on the 4 larger ones and duo-core on the other 4 makes 24 cores, wow! that would be some processing power.

5. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the pics! TU

Those antenna wires are buried in that thing! :eek:

6. Deckyon

Deckyon Well-Known Member

Considering what this thing will do, it will need all that processing power.

F6Rider likes this.
  7. Mako79

Mako79 Well-Known Member

Nice find..

I still don't understand why the board where the IMU is located, is suspended by solder. Is it designed to break on a heavy impact??
    The Phantom 3's are designed this way also.

The gimbal looks easy to change.

8. Rom3oDelta7

Rom3oDelta7 Active Member

Hard to tell from this picture, but it look like they may be castellated pads. This is a common technique for mounding boards to each other.

9. int3grate

int3grate Member

The hand solder joints on that look a little subpar to me, but it may just be the lighting in the photo.

10. Mavilicious

Mavilicious New Member

Amazing - I hope DJI did enough thermal testing :p

11. Rom3oDelta7

IMHO, as someone who does a lot of soldering, it looks quite acceptable, esp. for a pre-production unit. I also like how they have adhered the motor wire leads to the main board, used multiple attachment points, and large pads for the solder joints. Well thought out.

12. Raptorman

Raptorman Well-Known Member

We landed on the Moon with less than 1/1,000 the processing power of the Mavic Pro. In fact, it's probably closer to 1/1,000,000.

Brian

scubari, botasky and F6Rider like this.
  13. nocaps

nocaps Well-Known Member

They kinda do, you'd think that stuff would be connectorized. Maybe the production units will be different?

14. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

Those solder joints are perfect from a visual standpoint. No cloudiness or opaqueness of the solder joints that would indicate a cold solder joint. If you are concerned about the slight imperfections in the orbs then that is a by product of hand soldering connection points.

The majority of the connections on the board are wave soldered which will typically look impeccable.

The board that has the IMU on it will not "break loose" per se. Actually I could give you a small flat head screwdriver and have you attempt to pry it off the mainboard. The mainboard would suffer lots of damage from the prying motion and the daughterboard would not budge. Poor solder joints on one or multiple pads is much more likely.

That style daughterboard is attached so that all the pads can be heated using a special air iron that allows all the solder joints to liquefy at once and then one can remove the daughterboard.

Now if I saw that daughterboard as "socketed" then I would be quite concerned with pins lifting out of the socket. If there are issues with the Mavic Pro I could see the "techs" touching up the solder on those pads that attach the daughterboard as part of a rework process.

15. Rom3oDelta7

Totally off topic, but the Apollo computing story is fascinating. Here is one of my favorite stories on how the Apollo software was "woven" (literally):

capnzoog, Theron, Sparky1963 and 2 others like this.
  16. Lightsout

Lightsout Well-Known Member

Look closely at the underside fins and heat sinks as well as the heat sinks behind the camera obviosely thermal management was a major part of the engineering.

[​IMG]

17. Raptorman

Raptorman Well-Known Member

Yes, and a chunk of finned aluminum is also good for stiffening the chassis. It does look, however, that that element is for cooling and it's in the perfect location for it -- out of the Sun and in the air-stream.

Brian

#17 Raptorman, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  18. AlexSP

AlexSP Well-Known Member

Not wanting to sound like a DJI fan boy, but you have to admire these guys. I mean, it´s not like their drones are so ahead of competition in most regards - features, stability, performance, etc. - but when I think about it I remember that no one has even come close to Lightbridge 2 yet... And they already come up with Occusync and all these features in a $1K drone that small... I find it pretty amazing, no small feat these days!

Guitarzan and kmaluo like this.
  19. MavicPro

MavicPro Well-Known Member

Looks well thought out. It's always cool seeing the guts of your favorite electronic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Ed Windham

Ed Windham Well-Known Member

I know that many are waiting for their Mavic and I am blessed to have one and have been flying one for several weeks. We are already on our second firmware upgrade and all is well. I really enjoy flying in Sport mode. The craft is super fast and responsive. You can overload the gimbal if you fly like I do. Not an issue for the most part. When you get yours please upgrade, calibrate the IMU and compass. I also did a gimbal calibration. It does not take long and you will be pleased with the results.

Guitarzan, pierce, Slat and 2 others like this.