Insurance

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Golfnut, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Golfnut

Golfnut Member

Checked with my insurance company in Canada. The Canadian government is talking about making drone insurance mandatory, specifically liability insurance. Anyway, liability is covered under my homeowners policy so if the drone causes property damage or personal injury to someone, I'm covered. To be safe, I'm getting all of this in writing, including the limits of liability.
    As for insurance for the drone itself, I can get total coverage for loss, damage, theft etc for 4% of the value of the drone, so in the case of the Mavic, $40 US per year.
    Worth a call to your insurance company before you spring for DJI insurance.

2. dam

dam Well-Known Member

And who is your insurance provider ?

3. Golfnut

Golfnut Member

Intact Insurance but your broker will have his/her preferred suppliers.

dam likes this.
  4. Rom3oDelta7

Rom3oDelta7 Active Member

My provider (Chubb) agreed to include my Mavic under my scheduled policy for my camera equipment. With a scheduled (e.g. specifically itemized, with serial numbers and established values) policy, it is attached to your homeowner's policy but is independent of it. There is no deductible and claims do not affect your homeowners policy. This is the mechanism carriers use for jewelry and art collections. Check this out if it is available - there was only a small incremental cost on top of my previous blanket coverage.

dam likes this.
  5. Derodeo

Derodeo Member

Yeah, drone insurance would likely need a specific policy under your home owners insurance. Otherwise the deductible alone would make this impractical, not to mention the impact a claim might have on your homeowners premium come renewal.

6. Rom3oDelta7

Rom3oDelta7 Active Member

Indeed. My homeowner's policy deductible is much more than the cost of the Mavic.