DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting read about NFZ and Terrorist!

I'm most worried about governments wanting a "backdoor" of their own in exchange for the right to sell in a country and/or for someone to be able to legally fly at all...

IMO nfz restrictions in Iraq and Syria have more to do with preventing the publication of factual video about what's happening there than they do with preventing the use of drones as weapons

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the custom built, heavy lift drones immune from the NFZ firmware? And the tiny drones like Mavics with almost no payload capacity are restricted? Seems very impractical.

Yes if you build a drone yourself and use regular flight controller you can fly anywhere you want

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the custom built, heavy lift drones immune from the NFZ firmware? And the tiny drones like Mavics with almost no payload capacity are restricted? Seems very impractical.
Unless you are a billion dollar international company. Then you need to protect yourself from exposure by doing what you can do/being able to say you did something.

Unless you are a billion dollar international company. Then you need to protect yourself from exposure by doing what you can do/being able to say you did something.
I'm curious though, aren't they opening themselves up to litigation by taking on the role of a regulatory agency? If they unlock an area that ends up causing an incident they are likely more culpable than if they just left it up to the government.

I'm curious though, aren't they opening themselves up to litigation by taking on the role of a regulatory agency? If they unlock an area that ends up causing an incident they are likely more culpable than if they just left it up to the government.

Depends on the area. I don't think we yet know how they will work the system. Right now you can unlock areas that you can legally fly in and (as far as I know) cannot unlock other areas. For example, now you can unlock flights closer than 5 miles to a US airport but you need to confirm that the liability is on you. I don't see any legal requirement for any limitations so it's all civil issues. In the US a very good defense is being able to say you did _something_ and showing that you were not even required to do that holds a lot of weight.

I also have no doubt that DJI has been speaking to all he regulating agencies prior to setting up their new system.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonkyBroxy