DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting review and wind test

The high-wind video is great! That guy is brave...having both drones in the air at the same time in those conditions...and he's alone. Again....great video!

Reactions: rflmzl
One thing I just noticed in the review is he's had to send the Mavic back due to gimbal issues.

I've seen a lot of threads about gimbal issues - given not that many people have a Mavic yet its a concern so many have gimbal issues.

One thing I just noticed in the review is he's had to send the Mavic back due to gimbal issues.

I've seen a lot of threads about gimbal issues - given not that many people have a Mavic yet its a concern so many have gimbal issues.

I didn't watch the entire video. Did his gimbal problem occur after his high-wind test? If so, I wonder if the high-winds had some impact to the issue.

I had my Mavic for 7 days, during which time I noticed a Jello effect on my video whenever I faced into the wind. And it was usually a gentle wind, too. Had to send it back after some back-and-forth with DJI-Ken about the problem.

I didn't watch the entire video. Did his gimbal problem occur after his high-wind test? If so, I wonder if the high-winds had some impact to the issue.

Not directly after or during the wind test. But certainly reading what he says the Mavic worked fine when it arrived but some time later the gimbal developed issues.

It may well be that the Mavic is a delicate little flower and can't take much abuse - unlike the Phantom 3 and 4s.

I'd hate to think its so delicate it can only be used gently on very still and calm days. I have flown my Phantom 3 in high winds - certainly 20 - 25 mile per hour winds - without issue.

Where I live and fly wind is common!

He should post the wind speed. He can get that at healthydrones.com.

Or he should have used a cheap amomometer. What's a wind test if you don't know the true wind speed?

He should post the wind speed. He can get that at healthydrones.com.

Or he should have used a cheap amomometer. What's a wind test if you don't know the true wind speed?

He does say in the review "I took the unit up to the top of a ridgeline in the mountains, with significant wind. It was about 20-30MPH, and gusting higher. "

I've read a lot of his reviews in the past and he's pretty through.

20-30MPH with gusts higher is probably the absolute maximum I've ever flown my Phantom 3 in - maybe a fraction higher than I personally would risk.

And you can see it's windy too. But I'd still like to see a data point either calculated from the logs, or from an instrument.

I don't doubt him, but winds gust and I wouldn't be surprised if they were higher than he estimated. But no one will ever unless he posts the data.

And you can see it's windy too. But I'd still like to see a data point either calculated from the logs, or from an instrument.

I don't doubt him, but winds gust and I wouldn't be surprised if they were higher than he estimated. But no one will ever unless he posts the data.

Always hard to estimate wind. I find people tend to over estimate. I have a handheld wind monitor and live in a very windy part of a very windy country.

So I have a good idea of wind speed - even when not measuring it.

35MPH and higher starts to push you around - he's not really being pushed around but certainly clothes flapping wildly!

45MPH plus and you start to get really pushed around with some risk of being pushed off your feet.

I've never experienced higher than 60MPH wind but can say at 50+ MPH you really struggle to stand up straight without a lot of pushing around.

I very much doubt he was in 40+ MPH winds - he'd not have been safe that close to an edge!

For a more detailed table on wind speed and effect on people see:

Forecasting Wind Speed and Direction

Last edited:
I have a cheap wind meter that I've used to monitor wind on windy days when flying my P3P. I haven't used it with my Mavic yet...but i'm sure it will happen sooner than later. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke