DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad mini 2 or 4 ?

I Use my IPad Mini 4 wifi and have no problems. Only thing I do is connect it to my iPhone hotspot so I have internet to download realtime maps.

This is a great option for me. But the OP is not an Apple user and wouldn't have an iPhone to hotspot to. So he'd be forced to a cellular version.

Does the mini clamp into the controller?

Just wondering which would be best suited to my Mavic,an Ipad Mini 2 32g/64g or a Mini 4 16g/64g WiFi and cellular unlocked ?
At present I'm using my Note 4.
It seems both have the retina display,but the 4 is a tad faster on the CPU and GPU....
Any help to a non APPLE user would be greatly appreciated.

Do you intend to use your phone SIM in the Mini? If so do verify that they are the same size SIM.

Even the S2, a bigger tab will fit in the claws of the controller. Just feed the tab's corner into the open cut in the corner of one of the controller arms. Once placed, a little extra pressing of the other of the corners of the controller will secure it. If needed will use my Samsung Note 5 to tether/hotspot to the mini 4 for any cellular functionality. I have the Wi-Fi only version.

I use an iPad mini 2 wifi 64gb in the tropics and I can confirm that the iPad gets really hot, the screen is hard to see in our fearsome sunshine, and the iPad struggles to keep up with the video feed (especially with Litchi).

Am looking to get a mini 4 wifi + cellular for the gps to be able to change controller home point on the fly and do a better follow me.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

"gps to be able to change controller home point on the fly and do a better follow me."
I'm new to the "follow me mode". I use the wifi only Mini 4 and hot spot to my Note 5. Would like to learn about the gps with that function. Are there any other devices that will take the place of the gps lacking in the Mini 4? Maybe you can PM me a URL of a video or some info if you have time. Thanks

Reactions: andrew reeves
I'm new to the "follow me mode". I use the wifi only Mini 4 and hot spot to my Note 5. Would like to learn about the gps with that function. Are there any other devices that will take the place of the gps lacking in the Mini 4? Maybe you can PM me a URL of a video or some info if you have time. Thanks

The gps is lacking in the mini 2. There is GPS in the mini 4 but it has to be the wifi + cellular version. You don't actually need a sim in there to get the additional GPS functionality.

Any suggestions on videos or url's for newbies thinking about using that GPS unit with regards to "follow me" mode?
You don't have to do anything special once the unit is attached to your tablet. Just use Follow Me like you would when using a mobile device that has an internal GPS receiver.

Anybody done any tests or have any experience with the accuracy difference between Apple's internal GPS and a standalone, particularly one with WAAS and GLONASS? Personally, I'd rather spend the extra for a cellular iPad with GPS than hassle with an external GPS, also at extra cost over the wifi only version, unless there was a significant noticeable difference in accuracy and uptime with the extra satellites.

Reactions: Wysiwyg
Anybody done any tests or have any experience with the accuracy difference between Apple's internal GPS and a standalone, particularly one with WAAS and GLONASS? Personally, I'd rather spend the extra for a cellular iPad with GPS than hassle with an external GPS, also at extra cost over the wifi only version, unless there was a significant noticeable difference in accuracy and uptime with the extra satellites.

I have an iPad mini 2 with a Garmin GLO, it hooks up through bluetooth but it can't get it to work with any map/nav apps. Any tips or suggestions?

I have the same setup, connect the Garmin GLO before starting the map apps. Double tap the home button and close if any map apps that are running.
The free Google map works great too.

The GPS data with the Garmin GLO is better that the standard GPS data from the iPad with cell.
When using the standard GPS data, the Google map app and DJI display has a blue circle around the GPS location, but when the Garmin GLO is connected the blue circle is removed or a lot less the the standard GPS data.

When using DJI GO 4 in follow me mode, it is very accurate, take two steps and the drone follows.

Be safe and happy landings.....

I think the external makes sense because you can use it on multiple tablets and continue to use it when you buy an upgraded tablet. for the cost of the gps in 1 single apple tablet, you can get the stand alone, and use it for other devices you may have and use it for the next apple tablet you buy and the next, etc.

The Garmin GLO will connect with 4 devices at the same time. I started using the Garmin GLO with my 3DR Solo and now it working with the Mavic.

I also use a iPhone7, but still use the Garmin GLO for better GPS data.

Be safe and happy landings.......

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569