DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Pro will not connect to Mavic 3 Controller Via USB C

In the iPads defense, several people have reported no issues with the mini 6.

I'm hoping I'll be happy with the tripltek, especially considering the cost. I do think that 8 inch range is the sweet spot for me. My eyes are getting old and prefer a bigger screen but a 10 inch just seems a little too big, although I'm sure I could get used to it

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Had to chuckle on that one... at 64, I can agree on the eyes... or maybe just the desire not to have to work to hard to watch & make adjustments! My Wife indicates I'm becoming a Grumpy Old Fart... so it might just be me.
Never been a Cell Phone user, I was previously an iPad mini4&5 & CS screens. I tried a 11" iPad Pro... it's package was nice size without the home button & large side margins. Got used it to quick. Have a Tab S7+ but it's aspect ratio isn't my preference. The Tripltek is a nice size... similar to the iPad mini 6 screen but like the S7+ little longer aspect ratio.

I've bench tested the 12.9" for Dx on the FLY app, but have never used for flights... that's excessive!
One needs both iOS & Android if using 3rd Party apps... some iOS specific and others Android.

I hear ya on the iPad mini6, noted... I'll see if I have any luck.
Fly Safe!

Interesting to hear... I was a few clicks away from pulling trigger for new Mini6 to replace Mini5 and get rid of Lightening Socket.

I have no issues on 2018 12.9 iPad Pro, 2021 12.9 iPad Pro, only 2018 11" iPad pro. I'm sure my Buddy & I tested a 2021 11" without issues too. No issues on multiple Android devices... just 2018 11" iPad.

I may still get a Mini6 to examine 🤠
Sweet looking tablet, just wished they offered 1TB storage.

The Tripltek 8 Pro is great, don't use it much yet... but great unit. I also got their mount (similar to MavMount) and it works on all DJI Mavic RC's. Actually like their mount for all tablets better than other in my kit. Tripltek is a little bulky & hefty... but a great Android tablet.
What drone are you using the 2018 iPad Pro on ?

What drone are you using the 2018 iPad Pro on ?
That is / was my normal Go-To tablet for all apps until Fly App and issues. Have no problem with Go4, Go3, MapsMadeEasy, Litchi, etc...
Just Fly App problematic with 2018 11". I picked up a Mini 6 Cellular tonight... I'll test it soon.

Hadn't noticed it with Mini's because I used a Mini 5 w lightening cable.

so it is definitely an issue with DJI and 2018 ipad pro then. I am seeing more people by the day talking about it. I hope this is addressed soon because I would love to use mine with my mavic 3...

so it is definitely an issue with DJI and 2018 ipad pro then. I am seeing more people by the day talking about it. I hope this is addressed soon because I would love to use mine with my mavic 3...
I'll check the iPad Mini6 tonight... it's a USB-C too.
But yes, in my opinion it's something odd in communication between iPad pro 11" and Fly App.

Try it... install Lutchi, MapsMadeEasy or DroneLink, or some other Flight App on your iPad Pro 11" that supports the MA2S or craft you're wanting to use... except for Mavic 3 that hasnt yet been implemented on 3rd Party pending SDK.

Open Litchi (whatever app?) in place of Fly App... it should provide camera view... it does on mine. Just not with Fly App.

I'll check the iPad Mini6 tonight... it's a USB-C too.
But yes, in my opinion it's something odd in communication between iPad pro 11" and Fly App.

Try it... install Lutchi, MapsMadeEasy or DroneLink, or some other Flight App on your iPad Pro 11" that supports the MA2S or craft you're wanting to use... except for Mavic 3 that hasnt yet been implemented on 3rd Party pending SDK.

Open Litchi (whatever app?) in place of Fly App... it should provide camera view... it does on mine. Just not with Fly App.
I have a mavic 3 so i cant try any other apps. what is the best app for those ones?

Mavic 3 will be supported by all of them in near future… just too new at moment.

Solution now is to use alternate device with Fly App.

Actually they have multiple apps: FLY, GO4, Go3 (older crafts), Pilot, Ground Station Pro, and a few more.
The FLY app is for newer smaller crafts... originally it was assumed for consumer level, the GO4App was for Mavic, Matrice, Inspire.. a app more designed for Prosumer or Pro usage. Pilot is reserved for the Enterprise Platforms.

The 3rd Party side received DJI SDK, and has developed many unique apps. Some focused to mapping, automated flights (waypoints, POI, etc), some Thermal, Roof Inspection, etc. Several just a different idea of a Flight App that provides features lacking in DJI apps (several of these were later Incorporated in GO4/3 apps).

The FLY App is recently new. It's been developing and gaining features. And now it's apparent will control the Mavic 3 series... which many disagree with and desire the Go4App.

Why so many apps... development & progression of features & technology.

Once SDK is received by 3rd Party Developers, you'll have multiple options on what app to use for a certain type of flight desired. If using for Map or Photogramatry you might elect MapPilot by MapsMadeEasy. If you want more autonomous missions you might elect Litchi or DroneLink as examples.

One advantage to 3rd Party Apps, they tend to support the full line of DJI Platforms.
Keep in mind, I'm listing about 1/3 of the high quality Flight Apps available for DJI platforms.

Reactions: abridge
Actually they have multiple apps: FLY, GO4, Go3 (older crafts), Pilot, Ground Station Pro, and a few more.
The FLY app is for newer smaller crafts... originally it was assumed for consumer level, the GO4App was for Mavic, Matrice, Inspire.. a app more designed for Prosumer or Pro usage. Pilot is reserved for the Enterprise Platforms.

The 3rd Party side received DJI SDK, and has developed many unique apps. Some focused to mapping, automated flights (waypoints, POI, etc), some Thermal, Roof Inspection, etc. Several just a different idea of a Flight App that provides features lacking in DJI apps (several of these were later Incorporated in GO4/3 apps).

The FLY App is recently new. It's been developing and gaining features. And now it's apparent will control the Mavic 3 series... which many disagree with and desire the Go4App.

Why so many apps... development & progression of features & technology.

Once SDK is received by 3rd Party Developers, you'll have multiple options on what app to use for a certain type of flight desired. If using for Map or Photogramatry you might elect MapPilot by MapsMadeEasy. If you want more autonomous missions you might elect Litchi or DroneLink as examples.

One advantage to 3rd Party Apps, they tend to support the full line of DJI Platforms.
Keep in mind, I'm listing about 1/3 of the high quality Flight Apps available for DJI platforms.
what third party app do you like the best? i am hoping once mavic 3 is supported on there that ill move over so my ipad works.

The Bulk are free to download and try their more basic features. It'll give you an idea of character of app.
I have many installed, and use them all at different times... like mentioned, depending on task at hand.
Most have a minor fee associated if you want the full version.

I'd suggest you start with Litchi, Flight Plan, DroneLink and MapsMadeEasy if you're into mapping.
Litchi normally provides pretty much everything DJI App offers with a few more features, but it feels & navigates different than FLY app does. Best solution is to use FLY App when able too.

Others may join in an give you there opinion too... many apps to choose from, one advantage of DJI platform.

• Love
Reactions: abridge
As mentioned above, picked up a iPad Mini 6 Cellular 256GB... which has a USB-C port like the 2018-2021 iPad Pro 11 & 12.9". I always purchase the Cellular, not sure if still needed with new models but it used to be needed to obtain the Internal GPS for iPads.

I connected Mini6 with the MA2S RC with multiple different USB-C to USB-C cables, and like the 12.9" it connected without any issues. Didn't matter which direction USB-C cable was plugged in, worked each time.
I also tested with 1-way USB-C... the ones that have a RC stamped on Cable-end intended for the RC side.
Both of these worked without issues too.

During the Test, I tried the iPad Pro 11" multiple times without success. Same cable that was successful with the Mini 6 did not work with 11". Each cable that successfully connected the Mini 6 would not connect 11".

For those concerned with Mavic 3, these test directly apply. Same FLY App and I believe the RC is the same or compatible. Mine is the Mavic 3 Cine with SC.

My opinion is FLY app & 2018 iPad Pro 11" has some oddity in communication protocols. It may not be all 11", but from various communications & posts it appears to be the majority.

On a side note: the iPad Mini6 is a nice upgrade from the Mini5. Screen & Performance is very noticeable.

at this point after reading your writeup i am at a loss of words for what the issue may be

Reactions: Dougcjohn
GOT A SOLUTION!, at least that works for me.

I have an older iPad Pro 11 inch and an iPad Mini (gen 6). I have a Mavic 3 and a Mini 2.

The iPad Pro would not connect to either controller while the iPad Mini would connect to both. I used every combination of cables and adapters I could find until one combination finally worked.

I used the USB micro short cable that came with the Mavic 3 and used a USB micro (female) to USB-C adapter (male) and the connection worked for both controllers. To test the theory further, I bought a USB-C (male) to micro-USB cable from Amazon (Amazon.com). Using the same adapter, it worked with both controllers and both iPads with no problem!

The only issue in telling all about this is that the adapter (microUSB F to USB-C male) is not one that I had purchased separately. It was part of a Samsung Galazy phone package that was included to do a phone contents transfer to the new Samsung phone which had the then-foreign USB-C connector on the bottom.

I hope this helps as I've been working/panicking about this for a week and not seeing any solutions that would allow me to keep the iPad Pro 11 in the game.

PS: I tried the Best Buy USB-C to USB-C cable that was proposed by another poster. It didn't work with my iPad Pro 11. I've just ordered a couple of different adapters from Amazon to see if I can add a part # to this post that will give you an off-the-shelf solution with a known adapter.

PPS: So I could help you put together a "total" solution, I ordered some connectors from Amazon so I could give everyone a part number. I bought a bunch of these (for a total of $7) and these work to make whatever conversion the adapter is doing: Amazon.com

I hope I've helped someone else after my panic over the past couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried connecting the standard Mavic 3 controller to a USB C iPad Pro? That has always been my go-to setup with my Mavic 2 Pro, but it turns out that this combination is currently a no-go with the Mavic 3 controller.

Have tried multiple cables, and multiple iPad pros via USB C, with the same result every time.

The iPad Pro will not see the remote / aircraft in DJI Fly. Switching to iPhone via Lightning cable, it works every time. Reading through the Mavic 3 Facebook groups, it seems that I am not alone with this issue, but I haven't seen mention of it in these forums?

Anyone else had this issue or found a workaround? I understand that USB C connections to Android Tablets work, and this only impacts iPad's with USB C connectivity.
SOLUTION: I found a solution that worked for me. I posted it as a standalone post at the bottom (at least now at the bottom) on the third page of the posts. Posted on 1/25/22 so you can find it. Short answer: USB-C Male to micro-USB Male cable with microUSB F to USB-C male adapter. Works on iPad Pro 11 from about 2018. Let me know how it works for you.

I have the same issue. Just got mavic pro 3 and I am trying to use my iPad Pro 3rd gen that came out in 2018. My phone connects fine but I have tried using multiple usbc cables including the ones that came with the mavic pro as well as one I ordered off of Amazon with no success. :/
Take a look at the answer I posted today that might work for you.

Wanted to just add my experience, which has been working well so far, no connection issues or errors.

I have a 2021 11-inch iPad Pro, M1 chip, 128 GB storage, 8 GB RAM, and operating on iPad OS 15.2.

Currently using the RC-N1 that came with the Mavic 3 Fly More combo and have the latest available firmware for the controller, aircraft, and latest version of the app.

Finally, the cable I’m using is a Best Buy Insignia brand, 10 Gbps found here: Insignia 3.3 Foot USB C Cable
I specifically purchased that cable from Best Buy and no joy with older iPad Pro (2018). I returned the cable.

So you're indicating moving USBC circuit through a MicroUSB basically repins... (aka: dumbs down) then repins back up to USBC Terminal. Interesting thought, hadn't tried that mix.

On the other side, continuing with new 2021 Mini 6 (6 Gen mini). Have used it now with no issues multiple times using basically any USBC cable in my inventory. Even the Mavic 3 Wireless Transfer (M3 to iPad direct) to grab files off M3 works without issues.

So you're indicating moving USBC circuit through a MicroUSB basically repins... (aka: dumbs down) then repins back up to USBC Terminal. Interesting thought, hadn't tried that mix.

On the other side, continuing with new 2021 Mini 6 (6 Gen mini). Have used it now with no issues multiple times using basically any USBC cable in my inventory. Even the Mavic 3 Wireless Transfer (M3 to iPad direct) to grab files off M3 works without issues.
That's the idea. I wonder if anyone at DJI will see this thread, identify the issue with the controller, and correct the firmware (if it can be done that way). I can dream....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine