DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 7 or 7 plus?

KiterTodd

Reactions
I know this is a bit of personal preference, but is anyone using a 7plus with the Mavic controller and how do you like it?

I have a 6, currently. It has a weak battery life. In addition to a new battery, I was hoping the new phones would be a bit brighter for sunlight use.

The 7 plus has a bigger battery than the 7 so I figured I'd get more flights without worrying, and of course a bigger screen. However, I wanted to make sure it is not a bulky solution. I do like how nice the controller fits in my hand paired with the 6.

Anyway, figured I'd post here as I could not find any good pics online of the 7plus paired with the controller.

Thanks!

I am using one on mine, and it is a tight fit. sometimes a struggle lining up the port to the supplied lightning cable. Other than that no issues with it.

Reactions: dennis59
I have an iPhone 7 Plus myself that I use on the Mavic. I am so used to the large display of the plus and will never find myself ever going smaller.

7+ without question.
Fits nicely, even in the original sillicon case from Apple.

I use the 7+ when I'm too lazy to connect my iPad Mini

Lately, I've been juggling between my iphone 7+, ipad mini 2, and ipad air 2. I guess it depends on my mood. If you're choosing between 6, 7, and 7+, I would go with the 7+ because of the larger screen. The great thing about it is when you're done flying, you just place it in your pocket and you're good to go. You won't be disappointed! :)

I use a 7 as its my day to day cell phone. If I was only going to use it to fly I would love a 7+ because its a little bigger, I cant justify carrying it around for day to day though.

I use a 7 as its my day to day cell phone. If I was only going to use it to fly I would love a 7+ because its a little bigger, I cant justify carrying it around for day to day though.

I thought the same as well. I'm a "jeans" guy. I wear jeans just about everyday, for work, recreation, etc., and thought that the larger 7+ would be a problem day-to-day, but I was wrong. It's not that much difference, if any, than my wife's 7. In fact, with her case on her 7, my 7+ with apple leather case actually feels smaller/lighter in my jeans pocket.

I thought the same as well. I'm a "jeans" guy. I wear jeans just about everyday, for work, recreation, etc., and thought that the larger 7+ would be a problem day-to-day, but I was wrong. It's not that much difference, if any, than my wife's 7. In fact, with her case on her 7, my 7+ with apple leather case actually feels smaller/lighter in my jeans pocket.
Bingo. I also am either a jeans or khakis guy. I will have to find a friend with the 7+ and walk around with it for a couple of hours. At first glance when I was choosing the 7 or 7+ it was intimidating and I just said screw it ill go with the same size I have had for the last few years. Good to hear its not too big. But I do have to ask, are you a big guy? I am not 5'8" 160lbs so there isnt too much room in my pockets, would imagine if you're 6' plus you might be able to fit more in there ahah

Nope. I'm 5' 7", 153 lbs and I'm sitting at my desk with my 7+ in my jeans pocket and I don't even know it's there. :)

Mmm you sir just cost me another 700$ for a new phone! Will go for a test drive this weekend

Just throwing out an alternate suggestion.

For flying my Mavic I use an iPhone 6 Plus.
For my personal use I carry an Iphone 5S because I like the original form factor, it fits in my Jeans or work pants without having a huge imprint. Also when I hold my phone up to my face I don't like to have a dinner plate attached to the side of my face. I am 6ft tall and 190lb. the 6 Plus just cannot go in my front pocket without being very uncomfortable.

So I bought my used 6 plus on eBay exclusively for use with the Mavic. I like the fact of a dedicated display device. I have no other Apps on it except the default ones and the Mavic Apps. If I should ever have a low battery problem with my 6+ I can whip out my 5S and swap it out and have DJI Go 4 up in running in seconds.

If you have $700 and need a multi purpose phone then the 7+ is the way to go. If you want the same screen size and a dedicated device your better off with the 6+ at around $300.

Just my 2 cents
Rob

Great input here guys, thanks! So, most folks I have asked are steering me to the 7+, which is kind of what I want to get...minus the size.

Robby however....
Just throwing out an alternate suggestion.
...So I bought my used 6 plus on eBay exclusively for use with the Mavic. I like the fact of a dedicated display device. I have no other Apps on it except the default ones and the Mavic Apps. If I should ever have a low battery problem with my 6+ I can whip out my 5S and swap it out and have DJI Go 4 up in running in seconds.
This is good logic. Keep my primary phone small and have a secondary for the Mavic. I may do this...I may even make the 6plus my "work" phone. Would give me an excuse to keep the darn thing charged, anyway.

So, how do you buy a used 6plus and know that the battery on the thing isn't already shot? They clearly have a fixed life...

Reactions: Robbyg
I know this is a bit of personal preference, but is anyone using a 7plus with the Mavic controller and how do you like it?

I have a 6, currently. It has a weak battery life. In addition to a new battery, I was hoping the new phones would be a bit brighter for sunlight use.

The 7 plus has a bigger battery than the 7 so I figured I'd get more flights without worrying, and of course a bigger screen. However, I wanted to make sure it is not a bulky solution. I do like how nice the controller fits in my hand paired with the 6.

Anyway, figured I'd post here as I could not find any good pics online of the 7plus paired with the controller.

Thanks!

Have had 6, 6s plus and 7pus, plus wins...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: KiterTodd
My 7 plus doesn't work-- completely!!!
WEAK GPS error when trying to use follow me or changing home point!!!!
Will not work!!!!!
Tried changing cables- remove- reinstall app-
Even went to Apple Store and exchanged for BRAND NEW 7 Plus--
It didn't work either - doesn't work--
All other functions and modes work perfectly.
Fits in controller wonderful even with Case still on the phone.
But I bought the drone specifically for the follow me mode and it's unusable with my fancy expensive 7+ iPhone.
Very frustrating
Follow me does work well with all 6S plus and also I pad mini that I tried.
Bought a cheap refurbished acer 7 inch tablet for 63 bucks and GPS works perfect on it but it is android and android is not as smooth as iOS and the maps suck.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

As wolfmad stated, some people are having issues with 7 and 7+, I am one of them. But not all 7s are experiencing this GPS issue so nobody has a fix at this point.
I agree with Robbyg, I hate the larger form factor for everyday use, but love it for the MP. So I have a used 6+ that I have dedicated for flying only.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak