DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone X vs. 7.85" CrystalSky (HB)

TheoMatthias

Reactions
I've been doing some research to decide whether I should consider the purchase of an iPhone X or a 7.85" High Brightness CrystalSky. Note that I already have an iPhone 6 and a 9.7 iPad Pro (128gb) and I use the iPad for piloting the Mavic.

I don't mind dedicating a device to the Mavic, but it would be nice to combine all 3 devices into a single unit. I understand that it would mean compromising some specs, so I did a bit of research.

iPhone X 64gb has a retail price of $1,000. The 7.85" CS (HB) seems to go for ~$600-700. However, this is a bit of an apples/oranges comparison. The iPhone X is a phablet and the CS focused as a dedicated display. So, since I already have a phone and a tablet, I need to evaluate the "display" features of the iPhone X in order to compare its use as a Mavic flight display.

So here's where things fall apart. The display specs between these to devices show the CS as having a display that is 35% larger and 54% brighter than the iPhone X while being ~$300-400 less expensive! For that savings, perhaps having 3 devices is not so bad.

Are there other things I should be considering? What have I missed?

TIA!

Reactions: mikegor and Wingo
How will you mount the Crystalsky to the Mavic controller? The larger screen size and brightness is really appreciated when operating in bright sunlight, the screen is considerably less reflective that an iPhone or iPad.

Reactions: CDBLUE
CS is really nice. I have the 5.5 and brightness is just amazing. The only problem is the delay for upgrade . Example No Quickshot at time

CS is really nice. I have the 5.5 and brightness is just amazing. The only problem is the delay for upgrade . Example No Quickshot at time

That's odd. You would think Dji would want the CS to be bang up to date to give users another reason to buy one.
Yet, development of the app still seems to favour Apple devices ???

I am currently using a Mavmount with my iPad. I'll probably get the attachment for it.

Sorry for the countertop images, but here is what your Mavic Controller will look like with a 7.85 Crystalsky Ultra Bright and mavmount.

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1732.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1733.JPG
    IMG_1733.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
{snip}...You would think Dji would want the CS to be bang up to date to give users another reason to buy one.{snip}”

I can only speculate that, at this point, their development staff are overwhelmed with pushing out software to the largest computing base (i.e.; iOS/Android). That might mean that little resources are left for the CS updates.

Having been in the industry, I also see symptoms of the lack of thorough testing alpha and beta testing. Again, this could be due to budgets, staffing or priorities. DJI have a complex task managing multiple development efforts spread out over a diverse product line.

I can only speculate that, at this point, their development staff are overwhelmed with pushing out software to the largest computing base (i.e.; iOS/Android). That might mean that little resources are left for the CS updates.

Having been in the industry, I also see symptoms of the lack of thorough testing alpha and beta testing. Again, this could be due to budgets, staffing or priorities. DJI have a complex task managing multiple development efforts spread out over a diverse product line.

And yet, the CS uses the Android OS so you would think if anything they would favour that instead of iOS which is the more up to date version ???

And yet, the CS uses the Android OS so you would think if anything they would favour that instead of iOS which is the more up to date version ???
Agreed.

I suppose that while the CS uses Android, DJI have to modify the DJI Go 4 software somewhat for the dedicated platform. Again, this may point to a lack of development resources.

Perhaps as DJI stabilize their software and the need for an update every number of weeks decreases (better alpha and beta testing), they will update the app for the CS.

Fingers crossed!

PS - pretty much decided against the iPhone X!

Agreed.

I suppose that while the CS uses Android, DJI have to modify the DJI Go 4 software somewhat for the dedicated platform. Again, this may point to a lack of development resources.

Perhaps as DJI stabilize their software and the need for an update every number of weeks decreases (better alpha and beta testing), they will update the app for the CS.

Fingers crossed!

PS - pretty much decided against the iPhone X!

Are you considering the Ultra brite vs the High brightness model?

If I were you I would stay away from the iPhone X. It is overpriced and its screen is nowhere near the size/brightness of similarly priced phones. The DJI GO 4 app won't take advantage of the X's tall display, it will have black bars on the sides because of the unusual aspect ratio. I would go with the Galaxy Note 8, as its screen is quite a bit larger and about twice as bright, as well as being a hundred dollars cheaper.

Reactions: TheoMatthias
I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd advise going with the CS. I'm struggling with this concept myself. I considered the 7.85 but I think it's a little clumsy and less portable. I might end up with the 5.5 using the DJI mount. My biggest problem is that I already have a 1,000 nit device in the Samsung S8+ so I already don't have screen disability problems. The extra screen size is enticing but not the extra bulk and weight. Since you're already set up to use a 10" tablet, are used to the Mav Mount over the controller design and the bulk this adds to your system, the 7.85 will probably be perfect for you. You are going to be blown away with the difference in brightness! I have a friend that uses an iPhone to fly and he about peed his pants when I let him use my phone!

If I were you I would stay away from the iPhone X...{snip}
Yup. I just saw a post with an image of the iPhone X and the black bars. If we are all waiting for DJI to fix basic functional issues with their app, I can only imagine that addressing the iPhone X display size will take them a while.

{snip}...Since you're already set up to use a 10" tablet, are used to the Mav Mount over the controller design and the bulk this adds to your system, the 7.85 will probably be perfect for you...{snip}
Right on the money, Lou Denard. It looks like replacing the 9.7" iPad Pro with the 7.85" CS (HB) and its battery will add about 210g (~7.4oz) to the rig. I'm hoping that, since I use a lanyard, the extra ~1/2lb will not be too terribly awkward.

Yup. I just saw a post with an image of the iPhone X and the black bars. If we are all waiting for DJI to fix basic functional issues with their app, I can only imagine that addressing the iPhone X display size will take them a while.

Right on the money, Lou Denard. It looks like replacing the 9.7" iPad Pro with the 7.85" CS (HB) and its battery will add about 210g (~7.4oz) to the rig. I'm hoping that, since I use a lanyard, the extra ~1/2lb will not be too terribly awkward.

I wouldn't think so since, by all accounts, the Mav mount is well balanced. I'm looking at quick set up and portability, so the 5.5 and DJI mount seems the best choice... I can just see myself buying the 7.85 UB sometime in the future though once I get started with CS monitors.

Hi guys, interesting discussion.

I'm debating whether to get the 5.5 or 7.85 UB for my Mavic.

Is going the 7.85 just too ridiculously big, bulky and heavy?

I'd be looking to take this overseas too and travel with it, but i'm wondering whether the benefits of bigger screen + brightness outweigh the slightly heavier form factor.

Also, DJI are currently sold out of the 5.5 so that's also what's leading me towards the 7.85 as I would like it in time for XMAS :)

Also, I was wondering do they have internal storage you can write to? I mean, are the sd cards absolutely essential for playback and storage?

Also, I was wondering do they have internal storage you can write to? I mean, are the sd cards absolutely essential for playback and storage?

They have 32g of internal. I bought the 5.5 and it's working out nicely for me. I'm not sure yet but it doesn't seem that the SD card slots actually increase the CS storage but rather allow you read data from a card or move data around.

Hi guys, interesting discussion.

I'm debating whether to get the 5.5 or 7.85 UB for my Mavic.

Is going the 7.85 just too ridiculously big, bulky and heavy?

I'd be looking to take this overseas too and travel with it, but i'm wondering whether the benefits of bigger screen + brightness outweigh the slightly heavier form factor.

Also, DJI are currently sold out of the 5.5 so that's also what's leading me towards the 7.85 as I would like it in time for XMAS :)
Check with Adxenture, they may have the 5.5 or B&H, Adorama,Amazon, etc. The only thing I can say about bulkiness is that I tried an 8" tablet before and I found it clumsy. I just don't think that I need a screen that big to get a shot. Personal opinion only. The CS has a feature that allows you to transfer video to another device using WiFi (Dtrans), so if you already have a 8" or larger tablet, that'll work for playback.

Just from a newbie, I've got both a 5.5 & the 7.8 UB and have been flying with a couple of people with and without a Crystalsky. In the sun the larger brighter screen wins big time especially in winter when you want to sit in the sun. I'm also at the point in life where I need glasses to read small print so at times the 5.5 in full sun is harder to read aircraft stats or make out subjects on the screen during flight. But it's not a deal breaker and does work OK in the brighter sun so the 7.8 HB would at least remedy having to use reading glasses.

My setup is not small but if I did make a micro travel package, the 7.8 UB would stay home. But even the 5.5 CS would add unnecessary bulk do to it's thickness plus you gotta mount it to the controller. You would have thought DJI would have made the 5.5 to purposely fit the Mavic and Spark controllers. Lots of aftermarket solutions but it adds more to your travel package. I did see one guy jam a 5.5 into the controller but it covered up a few control buttons on the side that I use.
The 5.5 is much better than my buddies I-phone though and he didn't see spending the money until he saw how well the 5.5 performed compared to his Iphone 7s(?). Time will tell if he goes with a Crystalsky or not. I guess the 7" models have a larger cache that can record audio at the monitor (I think 10 GB instead of 2) but I could be wrong. It's all new to me and I've never used that function yet. As far as I can tell the micro SD card slots haven't changed. They don't backup data directly from the mavic and are more of a reader (edit: I think). That said, reviewing video on the CS-UB is stunning.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe