DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is any body flying in Major cities getting their 7km distance?

Kate

Reactions
hello
the thread titles kind of speaks for itself.
and I understand all the DJI manual forms of interference.

I just want to know if It is common in a Major City to get, in clean line of sight, a max of about 1250m from mavic before Signal issues?

The only situation I can imagine getting 7km range is from a tall wooden structure on an unpopulated coastline or hayfield with no Wi-Fi, metal, concrete or line of sight issues.

Is there some kind of unique interference in flat cities like Washington, that you dont see in smaller towns?
i would just like to know if my situation is uncommon

thankyou

Last edited:
Yes tons and tons of overlapping WiFi signals and other RF sources.
As you fly out past 1km the signal from you controller starts to look just as strong as the numerous wifi signals near the Mavic. Soon as you Move out further your signal is weaker than the background signals the Mavic is picking up.

On the ocean you get some amount of signal reflection off the water and that helps with going further. In the wide open plains there are almost no strong signals present so even though your mavic signal is dropping as you fly further away, the receiver can still pick it up because the background noise is so low.

Thanks robby, thats explains it much better to me.
I can accept the limitation if its the same for other pilots in Cities and it truly can't be helped

still you can see how consistently getting no more than 1 km can put you in a mindset that 7km is a pipedream, and
you must be doing something wrong.
I look forward to getting out of the city and Big grins when mavic proves your theory

Wee! I adjusted my IMU at home today, did a compass calibrate for where i was flying and
and made about 2250m. I had to adjust my course trying to keep grass beneath me, but yeh
it was refreshing.
got a feel or just how much the buildings interfere. thanks again RobbyG

Your welcome Kate.
Now you know your Mavic is good so in the future if you have range issues you know that the problem is either signal blockage or interference. Try adjusting your antenna angle and your physical position when you notice the first bars start to drop off. If that does not work then yes your in a bad location for long distance flying.

Rob

Dnt forget.. only do compass calibration in an open area and only once in a while or only wen u really move countries.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02