DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it legal to fly near Mount St. Helens, Washington?

Qoncussion

Reactions
I'll be heading to Mount St. Helens in a few weeks. Looking online, and using the AirMap app, it appears that St. Helens is not in a national park, nor near any airfields of any kind. But something tells me that I am missing something. Can anyone confirm if it is OK to fly in this area?

0d10a8cac3401baa1721f5cddb2e8686.jpg

Reactions: Wersh
I wasn't able to find anything at all about drones on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife website. The number for their main office is 360-902-2200. May want to give them a call or just assume that since it isn't restricted, it must be allowed!

Reactions: Wersh
Looking forward on what you'll find out. I'm heading that way coming back from Vancouver BC. Please post your findings. Thanks.

It is a National Monument. It is worse than the National Park as far a regulations go. You cannot even hike off trail inside the monument area. No motorized vehicles allowed.
That being said I have flown all over it. You just have to take off outside the monument.
There are lots of places to pull off the road and take off before you reach Coldwater Lake.
Mt Saint Helens National Volcanic Monument recreation map • mappery

I'll be heading to Mount St. Helens in a few weeks. Looking online, and using the AirMap app, it appears that St. Helens is not in a national park, nor near any airfields of any kind. But something tells me that I am missing something. Can anyone confirm if it is OK to fly in this area?

Be advised,

On the road up to Mt St Helens is a helicopter pad (actually 2 comes to mind) providing tours around the crater so please take care with that.

Reactions: Pallidin

You do realise this map is way far away from mt st helens right?

Reactions: Rbruz

the only place that they would allow you to take off is on this elk rock viewpoint. Its at the edge of the st helens monument. And theres a nice long bridge prior to this area to take aerial video. I was there just 1 week ago. I talked to the rangers. The reason that they don't allow it is that they wont recover your drone if it falls within the monument as the area is a research field.
fb23a8ff85c785a28d6f157b99f38235.jpg

the only place that they would allow you to take off is on this elk rock viewpoint. Its at the edge of the st helens monument. And theres a nice long bridge prior to this area to take aerial video. I was there just 1 week ago. I talked to the rangers. The reason that they don't allow it is that they wont recover your drone if it falls within the monument as the area is a research field.

Yes if it falls out of the sky you are breaking the law by littering and if you have to walk off trail to pick it up you are breaking the trails only law. So basically any accident or malfunction and you are breaking one law or the other or both. I think the walking off trail is a lower fine than the littering just so you know.
Does not stop me from doing it but it is a risk.

Great info... Thanks!

Reactions: whiteavatar

S0 what happened. It's 2019 and I want to do the same

S0 what happened. It's 2019 and I want to do the same

So basically the entire area of Mt SH is now a restricted zone, with no possibility of outside entry. That sucks lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM